• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Controversial railway opinions (without a firm foundation in logic..)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Has there ever been non-stop services between Manchester and London?
In the Winter 2013-14 GB Rail timetable, there was an 0700 Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston service operated by Virgin Trains which called (pick up only) at Stockport at 0707 and then ran fast to London Euston (arriving 0900). Not sure when this was discontinued.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Krokodil

Established Member
I am purely saying that we have a habit in the UK of assuming that a regional train is in fact Intercity. The definition that makes many services Intercity would also make the Milford Haven to Manchester Piccadilly Intercity, but no one is about to argue that the Milford Haven to Manchester needs a buffet and end doors.
Every other hour there is a train along the same core route which does have end doors and a buffet - in fact it has a full restaurant car service for 1st class passengers.

Well if we consider "Manchester" to be Greater Manchester then yes, the Midland Pullman ran non-stop from Cheadle Heath to St Pancras. Obviously Greater Manchester didn't exist yet though.
I don't think I know of any "Real" Manchester-London non stop trains.
Presumably such trains ran in steam days. After all there were non-stop trains between Kings Cross and Edinburgh back then.

So how should we define "Intercity"? How about: "A journey serving more than one urban area over a given size; on 90% of the mileage only calling at stations with more than x passengers and which are more than 20 minutes apart"?

The 90% caveat is there because we shouldn't be absolutist, most "true" intercity routes serve a couple of stations within the same conurbation before beginning their fast run (think Stockport, Watford Junction, Old Oak Common, Bristol Parkway, Birmingham International etc.), and others are intercity for most of their journey but become stoppers at the country end (services from London to Cornwall or the Highlands for example). The choice of 90% as a threshold is a shot in the dark and I'd welcome alternative threshold suggestions.

Last edited:

Recessio

The Greenford branch would be better off being electrified as a Central line shuttle, in the style of the Mill Hill East-Finchley shuttle.

Topological

Every other hour there is a train along the same core route which does have end doors and a buffet - in fact it has a full restaurant car service for 1st class passengers.

Presumably such trains ran in steam days. After all there were non-stop trains between Kings Cross and Edinburgh back then.

So how should we define "Intercity"? How about: "A journey serving more than one urban area over a given size; on 90% of the mileage only calling at stations with more than x passengers and which are more than 20 minutes apart"?

The 90% caveat is there because we shouldn't be absolutist, most "true" intercity routes serve a couple of stations within the same conurbation before beginning their fast run (think Stockport, Watford Junction, Old Oak Common, Bristol Parkway, Birmingham International etc.), and others are intercity for most of their journey but become stoppers at the country end (services from London to Cornwall or the Highlands for example). The choice of 90% as a threshold is a shot in the dark and I'd welcome alternative threshold suggestions.
Key being Cardiff to Manchester has the Mk4 vanity project when the trains work. I do not think there has been a day yet when the train has run every 2 hours though, the diagram that starts with 1W13 05:32 Swansea to Manchester, then 10:30 Manchester to Cardiff is not even "booked" Mk4 yet which puts a 4 hour gap in the middle of the day, and in the evening peak, from Manchester (10:30 and 18:30 from Manchester are DMU as a result). I was being deliberate when quoting the full route rather than the reduced mess TfW introduced and still cannot get right.

It would still stand that Swansea (a city) to Manchester (a city) have a regular service that no-one would call Intercity despite meeting all of the criteria that are laid out in posts so far.

It still all gets to the point that there are very few trains that really justify prioritising comfort over capacity to the extent features like buffets, vestibules and end doors do.

I am glad that this opinion is really opening a controversy though :)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It still all gets to the point that there are very few trains that really justify prioritising comfort over capacity to the extent features like buffets, vestibules and end doors do.

Although you can easily justify a quality interior (end vestibules, decent toilet provision, table bays, even space for a buffet trolley) in a good regional express unit. Just look at the 158.

There's no reason why a longer version of something similar couldn't be built.

Topological

Although you can easily justify a quality interior (end vestibules, decent toilet provision, table bays, even space for a buffet trolley) in a good regional express unit. Just look at the 158.

There's no reason why a longer version of something similar couldn't be built.

This actually links to another thought I had

All trains should be built with accessible links between carriages. If articulation can be done with buses that turn on roads then it has to be possible to have such on every railway in the UK. Such through accessibility would make it possible to get to accessible toilets. Trains should then be required to have one toilet per carriage and to have at least half of these as accessible toilets (which by virtue of the accessibility between carriages would be accessible to all).

The 158 is a fine unit, but I can see that the 197 is doing a better job on the Marches (just toilets and the silly catering area that is wrong with the 197).

yorksrob

Veteran Member

All trains should be built with accessible links between carriages. If articulation can be done with buses that turn on roads then it has to be possible to have such on every railway in the UK. Such through accessibility would make it possible to get to accessible toilets. Trains should then be required to have one toilet per carriage and to have at least half of these as accessible toilets (which by virtue of the accessibility between carriages would be accessible to all).

The 158 is a fine unit, but I can see that the 197 is doing a better job on the Marches (just toilets and the silly catering area that is wrong with the 197).

I certainly agree with one toilet per carriage minimum.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I'm not sure that it would feel like that much of a reduction. Whilst going from a train every 6 minutes to one every 15 would be an extra 9 minutes between services, due starters that's not all that much extra time and the fact that the trains would likely have more available seats would mean that in the peak (and maybe even at times of disruption) you could almost always just get the next train rather than potentially having to let some go past because they are so full.

I've previously commuted by train from a station just after a station with much faster services, even with fairly small populations (2 stains with less than 10,000 and the next one being 50,000) the trains in the peaks, even with 3tph or more, were full and standing upon leaving the third station.

Likewise I've worked somewhere with 4tph (off peak) and you never felt like you needed to time your departure from the office all that acutely to get the train to go to a meeting (you'd know that you needed the xx:15 or xx:30 at a push, but you'd leave about xx:05 but it wouldn't be a disaster if you left at xx:20). Even at 10tph it's not going to be much better.

However as you highlight in your edit, there's them potential to have new services to new places which might actually benefit a wider group of people.
I think, given the commuter centric traffic from places like Haywards Heath (just look at the per capita journey count!) that it would not be too bad at all for the passengers. When they are making the same journey dozens or hundreds of times a year they will become confident enough to optimise their journey just as they do now.

The hard part would obviously be convincing them that it would be fine.
I do think this scheme could potentially enable some pretty serious changes in Central London by unloading the railway by that many trains per hour though.

And I think the line could be loaded to much higher than 10 trains per hour, platform reoccupation either on the through stations or at Waterloo would be the limiting factor on the envisaged scheme.

JamesT

Established Member

Buses generally travel at slower speeds than trains. How would you handle higher speed trains where aerodynamically a pointy nose is needed? There are also compromises in driving visibility and comfort for trains with gangway connections compared to those with a cab across the full width.

Topological

Buses generally travel at slower speeds than trains. How would you handle higher speed trains where aerodynamically a pointy nose is needed? There are also compromises in driving visibility and comfort for trains with gangway connections compared to those with a cab across the full width.
I must confess I was thinking more of the joins between carriages within units for the through walking between carriages. So if you had a 5 car 80x equivalent then it would be possible to get from the front seat to the back without needing to navigate any steps or sections too narrow for a wheelchair.

I don't think we are in a position where gangways between units can be wide enough, but I may be wrong. Plenty of trains have gangwayed fronts and can be driven with no issues that prevent the use of that stock (I am not saying there are no issues, just that the issues have not yet caused the stock to have to be left in the depot). It is probably not beyond the wit of engineering kind to produce a retractable walkway that did not obstruct driving so maybe we can get to a point where the gangways between units can be equally accessible.

As also noted the pointy nose is only needed for 125, which most trains do not do on their journeys. The 125 and pointy nose over 110 and more capacity debate is also a reasonable one to have since safety standards do mean a huge part of a 5-car 125 mph capable train is lost. Does the extra 15 mph on some parts of the route really gain enough to make up for that loss of capacity?

The main part of my argument is that 1 toilet per carriage should be attainable, but that I would understand counter arguments that said accessible toilets take up too much seating space.

Falcon1200

Established Member
I certainly agree with one toilet per carriage minimum.

The main part of my argument is that 1 toilet per carriage should be attainable

I would certainly agree that all units should have more than one toilet, but one per carriage? That would mean, for example, that the 4-car Class 380 sets which work most of my line's services would have four toilets, which would be complete overkill!

Now, back to the thread title, one toilet and one toilet cum shower room per unit is what is really needed.....

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I would certainly agree that all units should have more than one toilet, but one per carriage? That would mean, for example, that the 4-car Class 380 sets which work most of my line's services would have four toilets, which would be complete overkill!

Now, back to the thread title, one toilet and one toilet cum shower room per unit is what is really needed.....

I disagree. In the good old days there were two toilets per carriage.

If you have less than two you end up having to wander up and down the train to find one.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Even on trains intended for sub-urban and local services (which is what 380s do)? I'm pretty certain plenty of DMUs and EMUs back in the day didn't have two toilets per carriage!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Even on trains intended for sub-urban and local services (which is what 380s do)? I'm pretty certain plenty of DMUs and EMUs back in the day didn't have two toilets per carriage!

Certainly outer suburban and longer distance EMU's and DEMU's on the Southern Region did. Inner suburban didn't.

(I realise that the Southern Region was always the gold standard of BR).

daodao

Established Member
Certainly outer suburban and longer distance EMU's and DEMU's on the Southern Region did.

Back in the day, most suburban emus were completely non-corridor compartmentalised (e.g. the class 505 used on the MSJ&A line) or at best gangwayed non-corridor (some of those used on the South London lines, when I was a student in London in the 1970s), so there were no toilets at all. The "bubble" cars (class 121 diesel railcars) used on the Coryton branch in the mid 1980s (before the introduction of class 150 dmu sprinters) also had no toilet.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Back in the day, most suburban emus were completely non-corridor compartmentalised (e.g. the class 505 used on the MSJ&A line) or at best gangwayed non-corridor (some of those used on the South London lines, when I was a student in London in the 1970s), so there were no toilets at all.

Inner suburban trains didn't. There might be a case for fewer toilet facilities on these nowadays, being shorter distance but not really none.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The trams now used on the MSJ&A line don't have toilets.

Nor on the Oldham loop. That could be quite tricky after a night out.

Kudos to NSE for including toilets on their Networkers (even if they did have an unfortunate tendancy to flush in the wrong direction).

Topological

Inner suburban trains didn't. There might be a case for fewer toilet facilities on these nowadays, being shorter distance but not really none.
The issue with saying none is that the stock then ends up on longer distances and people say "would you prefer a train with no toilets or no train?", see TfW and the inability to keep the two on loan Northern 150s away from services to Manchester from South Wales.

IF operators could be trusted to allocate units to appropriate services then dispensation for trains running less than an hour between their major traffic source and destination could be made, but that is a huge IF.

Better to just over specify and get on with it IMHO

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The issue with saying none is that the stock then ends up on longer distances and people say "would you prefer a train with no toilets or no train?", see TfW and the inability to keep the two on loan Northern 150s away from services to Manchester from South Wales.

IF operators could be trusted to allocate units to appropriate services then dispensation for trains running less than an hour between their major traffic source and destination could be made, but that is a huge IF.

Better to just over specify and get on with it IMHO

Yes, certainly since the Networkers we've been going back in the wrong direction - see Crossrail with no toilets whatsoever !

Meerkat

Established Member

If you have less than two you end up having to wander up and down the train to find one.
The 720s have ceiling displays that show you where the toilets are and if they are occupied.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The 720s have ceiling displays that show you where the toilets are and if they are occupied.

That is handy - like the light in the mk 3's. But it could still be OOU or occupied all the time, so quantity is important as well as quality.

Wolfie

Established Member
Certainly outer suburban and longer distance EMU's and DEMU's on the Southern Region did. Inner suburban didn't.

That last sentence is an utter joke. Southern were notorious for prolonged production and operation of obsolescent if not downright obsolete old junk. For example the EPB had been surpassed by EMUs with LMS and LNER with, shock horror, sliding doors and other modern features in the late 30s. Despite that they carried on producing the same old slamdoor rubbish into the late 50s. Worse still the cause of "standardisation" meant that variants were inflicted countrywide

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That last sentence is an utter joke. Southern were notorious for prolonged production and operation of obsolescent if not downright obsolete old junk. For example the EPB had been surpassed by EMUs with LMS and LNER with, shock horror, sliding doors and other modern features in the late 30s. Despite that they carried on producing the same old slamdoor rubbish into the late 50s. Worse still the cause of "standardisation" meant that variants were inflicted countrywide

Yes, and we've all been stood around on cold wet platforms waiting for someone to open those b****y sliding doors :lol:

On a more serious note, it was the Southern that developed long, comfortable, regular interval services whilst the rest of the country had to put up with ramshackle timetables of odd loco hauled and DMU's.

Wolfie

Established Member
Yes, and we've all been stood around on cold wet platforms waiting for someone to open those b****y sliding doors :lol:

On a more serious note, it was the Southern that developed long, comfortable, regular interval services whilst the rest of the country had to put up with ramshackle timetables of odd loco hauled and DMU's.
Love it, lol.

What l certainly would also give Southern (and it's predecessors) credit for is early consistent adoption and expansion of electrification.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Love it, lol.

What l certainly would also give Southern (and it's predecessors) credit for is early consistent adoption and expansion of electrification.

Yes, that has always been one of its plus points.

Recessio

Couldn't agree more.