• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coopers Lane Tunnel (Stansted Airport)

phil1960

Does anyone know why this tunnel is only single tracked? I can only assume it was to keep structural costs down when it was built before the airport station opened in the early 1990s. I travel regularly in and out and when services are on time that doesn't cause much of a problem. Complex situation when I travelled there on Wednesday morning. Unfortunately you can't do replays on things like Open Train Times to see 'historic' movements but looking at this, there was congestion in an out of the airport station around 06:00 that day when I was on 1B04 05:10 Liverpool St-Stansted - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...SD/2024-01-03/0545?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

The way I look at it is if the tunnel was double tracked, then this would have offerred more flexibility in and out when trains are late running.

Thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Your assumption is correct - cost. Can't imagine anyone foresaw the growth in low cost flying back in the days when the tunnel was designed.

In your case a second track in the tunnel wouldn't have helped though. What you needed was a third long platform, as platforms 1 and 3 both had trains in them. High winds seem to have been an issue that morning as the 06.00 from Stansted, which was blocking your platform, was 37 late start and only got to Harlow Town.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Looking at RTT, the running time through the 1.2 mile single line section is less than 2 minutes (and it looks like incoming trains normally have a 2-3 minute pathing allowance in that area, presumably to allow for it being occupied by a late departing train).

As 306024 said, the capacity limitation at Stansted is usually platform availability (as there are only two long platforms).

phil1960

As 306024 said, the capacity limitation at Stansted is usually platform availability (as there are only two long platforms).

I always understood the short middle platform (2) was designed that way to keep diesel trains out in the open. Could have always been elevated if an efficient extraction system was put in.
Overall, with changes to passenger numbers, the station needs redesigning especially with a more efficient system of ticket checking

Magdalia

Established Member
The platforms have been lengthened, the problem now is the class 745s.

When new the platform lengths were:

platform 1 291m
platform 2 91m
platform 3 274m

Now the platform lengths are:

platform 1 359m
platform 2 106m
platform 3 291m

The platform lengthening made it possible to get two 8 car trains of 20m stock into platform 1 at the same time. This benefit has been lost because platform 1 is not long enough for two 10 car trains of 23m stock.

Teds

The platforms have been lengthened, the problem now is the class 745s.

When new the platform lengths were:

platform 1 291m
platform 2 91m
platform 3 274m

Now the platform lengths are:

platform 1 359m
platform 2 106m
platform 3 291m

The platform lengthening made it possible to get two 8 car trains of 20m stock into platform 1 at the same time. This benefit has been lost because platform 1 is not long enough for two 10 car trains of 23m stock.
The is also an issue with the (relatively) new Norwich - Stansted service which has to go in platform 1 knocking off 80m+ from the length of that platform. It also has to go in in the right order - in normal running next to the stops with a London on top. The Norwich service can't easily use platform 3 even though it is now vacant roughly 50% of the time because it is not wired. If there was a real problem, the diesel could be used but, northbound at least, would need to be used as far as Audley End.

The is also an issue with the (relatively) new Norwich - Stansted service which has to go in platform 1 knocking off 80m+ from the length of that platform. It also has to go in in the right order - in normal running next to the stops with a London on top. The Norwich service can't easily use platform 3 even though it is now vacant roughly 50% of the time because it is not wired. If there was a real problem, the diesel could be used but, northbound at least, would need to be used as far as Audley End.
I think you mean "The Norwich service can't easily use platform 2..." ? Though according to RTT it does (e.g. 1K78 this afternoon), and operating as an electric train at that - though I know RTT is not 100% accurate

AlastairFraser

Established Member
How difficult would it be to wire P3?

Shwam3

The Norwich service can't easily use platform 3 even though it is now vacant roughly 50% of the time because it is not wired. If there was a real problem, the diesel could be used but, northbound at least, would need to be used as far as Audley End.
All 3 platforms at Stansted are wired, but if it wasn't a dynamic pantograph raising site could've been installed before Audley End.