• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cost of Loco-hauled - Cumbrian Coast or anywhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I see there is massive interest in the Cl 37 workings on the Cumbrian Coast line. (I have started a separate thread as I did not want to mix the daily news items with the more fundamental issues of costs.)

Just made me wonder - how much does it cost to run a 4 car DMU and a Cl 37+4+Cl 37 Carlisle to Preston - anyone know? (Or Carlisle-Leeds, or anywhere to anywhere, for that matter.)

The train crew costs, I assume, are the same, but the track access charges must be an awful lot higher? Plus increased fuel costs.

There again, these trains appear to be a) more roomy and attractive to regular passengers and b) they must have boosted ticket sale to enthusiasts. I have no idea if the extra revenue makes an impression on the additional costs, however.

xxxx

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philbl2000

Here is an extract from the Network Rail 'track access charges' spreadsheet.
(Full version available from http://www.networkrail.co.uk/using-our-network/cp5-access-charges/)

Track Usage Price List
2012/13 Prices

1. Variable Usage Charge

Passenger Variable Usage Charge default rates

Vehicle Type Pence per vehicle mile

Locomotive 62.76
Multiple unit (motor) 27.94
Multiple unit (trailer) 13.13
Coach 11.56

By my calculation that makes 171.76 pence per mile for the loco and 82.14 pence per mile for the DMU

Attachments

• track access.JPG
    track access.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 27

Veteran Member
Goes down dramatically as soon as the DBSOs are ready.

Though is it replacing a 4-car working? Posters on stations talk about increased seating capacity....

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Don't franchised operators pay a fixed track access charge that covers all their vehicles rather than the variable rate?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-27 at 15.16.29.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-27 at 15.16.29.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 45

najaB

Veteran Member
Don't franchised operators pay a fixed track access charge that covers all their vehicles rather than the variable rate?
I would have thought if it was truly a fixed amount then it would be in 'round numbers'. Is it perhaps not so much fixed as it is based on timetabled track miles?

Established Member
I see there is massive interest in the Cl 37 workings on the Cumbrian Coast line. (I have started a separate thread as I did not want to mix the daily news items with the more fundamental issues of costs.)

Just made me wonder - how much does it cost to run a 4 car DMU and a Cl 37+4+Cl 37 Carlisle to Preston - anyone know? (Or Carlisle-Leeds, or anywhere to anywhere, for that matter.)

The train crew costs, I assume, are the same, but the track access charges must be an awful lot higher? Plus increased fuel costs.

There again, these trains appear to be a) more roomy and attractive to regular passengers and b) they must have boosted ticket sale to enthusiasts. I have no idea if the extra revenue makes an impression on the additional costs, however.

xxxx

I expect any extra revenue generated is a drop in the ocean compared to the ridiculous extra cost of these trains and in terms of staff In believe they have at least 2 extra staff one on the train and one in the rear loco as a minder, at least the DBSO should get rid of the Loco Minder.

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
Here is an extract from the Network Rail 'track access charges' spreadsheet.
(Full version available from http://www.networkrail.co.uk/using-our-network/cp5-access-charges/)

Track Usage Price List
2012/13 Prices

1. Variable Usage Charge

Passenger Variable Usage Charge default rates

Vehicle Type Pence per vehicle mile

Locomotive 62.76
Multiple unit (motor) 27.94
Multiple unit (trailer) 13.13
Coach 11.56

By my calculation that makes 171.76 pence per mile for the loco and 82.14 pence per mile for the DMU

Sorry if this is a little off thread but out of curiosity I tried to calculate how much per mile a loaded class 66 hauled, 2000 tonne payload MGR costs in track access charges using the tables you provided. My calculations seemed unrealistic at £700/mile. Can anybody help me please?

Freightmaster

Established Member
Sorry if this is a little off thread but out of curiosity I tried to calculate how much per mile a loaded class 66 hauled, 2000 tonne payload MGR costs in track access charges using the tables you provided. My calculations seemed unrealistic at £700/mile. Can anybody help me please?
FOCs pay a fixed track access fee or similar arrangement, I believe.

MARK

Status
Not open for further replies.