• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creating a historical mileage log

800Travel

Hi,

There are several services between September and December 2023 that I took before I started a mileage/spotting log of sorts. I have the dates and times of the services and the operators, and destination/origin. Some of them I noted the unit number down for, but this was quite sporadic. I also would like to know the remaining unit numbers, head codes, and the departure/origin platforms. Is there anywhere I could likely access this information for so far back please?

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Thank you - that is fantastic and contains all the data I need other than unit numbers. Does anyone know how to get the unit numbers from this far back please? Not sure if TOPS covers it that far back normally.
I think you would need to rely on people who may have captured the info. I don't believe TOPS holds the train formation data for more than a few weeks

800Travel

I think you would need to rely on people who may have captured the info. I don't believe TOPS holds the train formation data for more than a few weeks
Ok, thanks for explaining. I guess the TOCs would hold this data, and it could potentially be released under an FOI?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Have you tried http://www.railmiles.me/products/railmiles/, site? Although this is a paid subscription service, it may hold the answers you are looking for.

Allocation details are pulled through from industry data feeds for various train operating companies.

800Travel

Have you tried http://www.railmiles.me/products/railmiles/, site? Although this is a paid subscription service, it may hold the answers you are looking for.

Allocation details are pulled through from industry data feeds for various train operating companies.
I didn't try that one - thanks for linking. It's a shame it costs, but maybe I could get the 1 month and get the data I'm looking for then cancel it as I always get the data on the day from Real Time Trains now

Crossover

Established Member
Ok, thanks for explaining. I guess the TOCs would hold this data, and it could potentially be released under an FOI?
I'm not sure as I think they would pull the info from TOPS as well

I'm unsure on the likely success on here as I believe it pulls from the same data as RTT does

I have done a bit of playing about on my local station and train running info and allocations (Northern service so the data tends to hang around, whereas the likes of LNER allocations go the day after the service runs) only go back about 3 months, so far as I can tell

Last edited:

800Travel

I'm not sure as I think they would pull the info from TOPS as well

I'm unsure on the likely success on here as I believe it pulls from the same data as RTT does

I have done a bit of playing about on my local station and train running info and allocations (Northern service so the data tends to hang around, whereas the likes of LNER allocations go the day after the service runs) only go back about 3 months, so far as I can tell
Thanks for checking into this for me. It's mainly LNER I used. I'll fill out the mileage log spreadsheet with the data I have, see what's missing, and then have a look around.

gazr

For anyone making logs of journeys...make a note of the UID, as as "U" suggests, this is an unique id for a train on that date and can be searched far easier than headcode.

800Travel

For anyone making logs of journeys...make a note of the UID, as as "U" suggests, this is an unique id for a train on that date and can be searched far easier than headcode.
Where can it be searched? Just that link above?

mangyiscute

Established Member
I didn't try that one - thanks for linking. It's a shame it costs, but maybe I could get the 1 month and get the data I'm looking for then cancel it as I always get the data on the day from Real Time Trains now
Rail Miles iirc does 6 months into the past in terms of tracking timetables and train allocations, before that it has to be entered manually, so it may cover some of your period but not all - from a quick check on my account it seems to provide data back to 9th November, if you were to make an account and do them now.
As a side note, I do really like it as a website to log trains and see lots of interesting data, and it isn't too expensive (£27 per year), although I'm always a fan of digital over recording stuff on paper but I know a lot of people prefer paper

800Travel

Rail Miles iirc does 6 months into the past in terms of tracking timetables and train allocations, before that it has to be entered manually, so it may cover some of your period but not all - from a quick check on my account it seems to provide data back to 9th November, if you were to make an account and do them now.
As a side note, I do really like it as a website to log trains and see lots of interesting data, and it isn't too expensive (£27 per year), although I'm always a fan of digital over recording stuff on paper but I know a lot of people prefer paper
Thank you @mangyiscute for letting me know it goes 6 months back. I've managed to get all the data other than unit numbers from the charlwoodhouse link - thanks for this @gazr For anyone curious, this also included UID, actual running times, platforms, head code for a service from August 2023.

I've had a look through my spreadsheet, and there are 72 services I have no unit numbers for. Taking 6 months ago today, that was 19/11/2024 so I could possibly get 29 of the 72 units from Rail Miles.

Does anyone have any ideas for how I could track down the rest please?

Thank you

Further message that will probably be combined:

Would it be at all possible for someone to run the following 3 services through RailMiles and let me know what comes up to confirm the data for unit numbers up to 6 months is a thing for these specific operators please? No worries if not.

20/11/2023 1E20 G23208 GR 80xxxx
20/11/2023 9E09 G67480 TP 802xxx
24/11/2023 1V64 G59594 XC 22xxxx

Thank you

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
20/11/2023 1E20 G23208 GR 80xxxx
20/11/2023 9E09 G67480 TP 802xxx
24/11/2023 1V64 G59594 XC 22xxxx
1626 Newcastle to London Kings Cross on 20/11/2023 comes up as 801219 (I couldn't get 1500 from Edinburgh to come up)

0924 Liverpool Lime Street to Newcastle on 20/11/2023 comes up as 802206 (took me a while to work out what 9E09 was, as the reporting codes have since changed)

1305 Edinburgh to Plymouth on 24/11/2023 comes up as 220034+220023, with the front unit terminating at Gloucester.

Last edited:

800Travel

1305 Edinburgh to Plymouth on 24/11/2023 comes up as 220034+220023, with the front unit terminating at Gloucester.
Thank you :)

@JonathanH @mangyiscute I've purchased a subscription, but cannot figure out how to get the train unit allocation data. Can someone please explain to me how to find it? Thank you

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I've purchased a subscription, but cannot figure out how to get the train unit allocation data. Can someone please explain to me how to find it? Thank you
You need to enter the start and end point of your journey and the departure time from the first station. The website will then fill in the gaps, and you can add whatever notes you want to add.

800Travel

You need to enter the start and end point of your journey and the departure time from the first station. The website will then fill in the gaps, and you can add whatever notes you want to add.
Thank you, I got it to work by clicking find. Just going through now adding all the ones they have, and noting the ones they don't to try and find elsewhere.

Last edited:

800Travel

I've now managed to find all bar 38. The link above narrows down the criteria when railmiles usernames are put in. I'm hoping that across the many members of this forum, some of the journeys will be recorded, and by checking my list of dates and head codes, I can identify the unit numbers for the missing services that are too old to be found on rail miles, or didn't show up. The missing units are from Cross Country, TransPennine Express, and LNER. I managed to find a couple myself using this method on usernames that came up online when I searched for railmiles.

If people could please either share a screenshot of their data (with or without the username visible) or their username for me to search myself, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you