• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Credit card balance transfer - with train tickets still on old card

Status
Not open for further replies.

els

I am about to do a balance transfer to a new credit card. The old credit card has a number of outstanding pickup tickets on it which I would rather not pickup all at once since (i) it will null the Moneyback Guarantee on the Southern tickets, and (ii) I find it more convenient to pickup near the day of travel so I'm not juggling round lots of tickets.

Before I do the balance transfer, I wanted to check that the tickets are still linked to the old credit card. In my mind it's the card used for booking that is used to pickup tickets, but just to check there's no bad experiences anyone knows of?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You need to old card to pick up your tickets, so don't throw it away.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
A credit card balance transfer is effectively a debit to your new credit card (usually with a promotional rate applied) and a credit to your old card. Unless you have specifically asked the old provider to close the card (or potentially if both cards are provided by the same group) then there is no reason for the old card to be closed - it will just have a lower balance.

westv

Established Member
Does a credit/debit card still need to be current i.e. not cancelled? The ticket collection machine doesn't check does it??

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Does a credit/debit card still need to be current i.e. not cancelled? The ticket collection machine doesn't check does it??

I'd be surprised if it did. My undderstanding is its just checking the number, without going 'online'. If the card itself has reached the embossed expiry date then that could possibily be an issue.

island

Veteran Member
The card would probably need to be in date, but I agree with IanXC that being cancelled shouldn't matter. If you are planning to get the tickets refunded later, however, then the card being cancelled will be a bit of a nuisance.

philjo

Established Member
My bank phoned me at work just before Christmas to query a couple of transactions. one was genuine (tickets I booked using the EC site the previous evening) and the other was for a hotel in the US which I had not made.
The bank cancelled the card immediately & arranged for a new card with different numebr to be issued.
I was able to collect the EC tickets from the TVM at the station later that afternoon using the cancelled card becore I destroyed it..

Status
Not open for further replies.