• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Customs Presence at UK Airports

Butts

Veteran Member
I have not seen any visible Customs presence when entering the UK via (normally) London Heathrow (T5 and T3) at all different times of the Day on scores of occasions over the last few years.

Is it the same at other UK Airports ?

Is the 200 Limit on Cigarettes and other "booty" just "theoretical" and not enforced to any extent in practice ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stuu

Established Member
I don't remember ever seeing any at any British airport I have been through, I assume someone is watching on CCTV or a two way mirror, but I don't know that

Butts

Veteran Member
I don't remember ever seeing any at any British airport I have been through, I assume someone is watching on CCTV or a two way mirror, but I don't know that

Do they only act on intelligence now and not give too hoots about small time smugglers ?

Elwyn

The UK no longer has a separate Customs service. It was merged with the Immigration Service to create Border Force. Staff have both immigration & customs powers. The immigration control has to take priority as every passenger has to be seen (unless you are arriving illegally in a small boat of course!) and so if there are staff shortages, or long queues, it would be the Customs side of things that might take a hit.

That said, they do operate on an intelligence led approach and there are times when plenty will be visibly on duty in the Customs Hall.

sh24

They are there, and they are watching. I was - briefly - stopped at T2 between Christmas and NY. One officer asked questions while another was watching me, no doubt to see any non-verbal indications of being a bad person.

You can take a risk with smuggling stuff in and there is a good chance of getting away with it. But if you get caught you can expect confiscation as a minimum and a significantly enhanced chance of being stopped again in the future.

route101

Established Member
I find it depends what flights are coming in. At Edinburgh if the Qatar and KLM flights arrive there is a good chance customs will be there. Seen them randomly pull people at Edinburgh. I would say myself being a lone male would be a prime target for a search.

railfan99

Established Member
That said, they do operate on an intelligence led approach and there are times when plenty will be visibly on duty in the Customs Hall.

On a trip in 2022 and 2023 through Heathrow T4, nor did I see any obvious Customs screening. I appreciate it 'merged' with immigration, and officers may be watching on CCTV.

Completely different to Australia, even though both are part of or fully an island.

I have never seen customs when walking through. I know colleagues who regularly walk through with suitcases stuffed with cigarettes who are over the limit. I also know colleagues who have holiday homes in the Canary islands etc who take quantities of food stuff like Bacon etc that are restricted over there so it's the same the other end.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Since Brexit, I've only seen a visible presence once, which was on arrival on an early morning flight into Luton. Other than that, I haven't seen a single officer present. I actually did a test in Stansted one evening by entering the Red channel to declare something that I wasn't sure about and it was empty, with no-one other than a phone to make a verbal declaration. Other than that, in countless flights to Stansted and Luton, I haven't seen a single person and not a single dog.

Is the 200 Limit on Cigarettes and other "booty" just "theoretical" and not enforced to any extent in practice ?

A lot of the work is done behind the scenes, so someone with a suitcase stuffed full of cigarettes will get pulled. But it's surprising just how few checks are carried out on people with hand luggage.

I would say myself being a lone male would be a prime target for a search.

I've travelled to the UK countless times as a lone, rather scruffily dressed male and no-one has ever bothered me, even when carrying nothing more than a backpack.

It's such a massive contrast to Polish airports, where it's the norm for customs to be visible in all airports on arrival. It's also the norm to have your luggage checked on the eastern borders if you travel by car, train, boat or on foot.

deltic

Established Member
Do they only act on intelligence now and not give too hoots about small time smugglers ?
They are too much hassle - they go after the gangs smuggling by the container load or air crew bringing in suitcases every week.

There are also more joint operations with anti terrorism police and HMRC.

They target particular flights such as Vietnam and Dubai which are sources of cheap fags which are then being sold on. No one is really interested in people bringing in a few extra fags or booze for personal consumption.

Snow1964

Established Member
Few years ago went to Ecuador (before it became unsafe) and flight was change in Bogota (Columbia). Customs met the plane at Heathrow, about 4 of them, one with sniffer dog which everyone had to file past on the jetway. But then no one in customs Hall.

So clearly are selective and probably intelligence led, and they don't just check in customs hall. I have seen a TV documentary where bags are lined up and the sniffer dogs check before they are put on the carousel too.

Wolfie

Established Member
I have never seen customs when walking through. I know colleagues who regularly walk through with suitcases stuffed with cigarettes who are over the limit. I also know colleagues who have holiday homes in the Canary islands etc who take quantities of food stuff like Bacon etc that are restricted over there so it's the same the other end.
They will come a cropper. Cases, particularly from destinations like the Caribbean (drugs) and Canary Islands (tobacco), can be and often are imaged.... As others have said activity is targeted and intelligence led.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
I have seen a TV documentary where bags are lined up and the sniffer dogs check before they are put on the carousel too.

This is routine, and anyone checking in luggage should expect that it's been scanned and sniffed thoroughly before arriving.

Bill57p9

The red channel at Southampton certainly used to be a phone so you could grass on yourself. I haven't arrived into Southampton from outside the UK for many years, so can't comment on the situation now.
I do recall being on a flight from Amsterdam which was diverted from Southampton into Luton and the whole planeload having our luggage thoroughly searched.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Without ever trying it - I believe (or suspect) that you could legitimately
- travel from the rest of the EU to Eire. (Free movement of people, goods and services, within the EU, right?)
- travel over the (absence of any) border to Northerin Ireland and then
- travel over the (absence of any) border to the mainland.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
- travel from the rest of the EU to Eire. (Free movement of people, goods and services, within the EU, right?)
Yes, but when arriving in Great Britain from Northern Ireland you should grass on yourself for any goods needing declaration.

It's the same as the 'loophole' to do with passengers transferring airside from an international flight to a domestic one at Heathrow; in theory, you're supposed to declare any goods using the red phone in the domestic arrivals area at your destination. In practice...

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
My bag was searched by customs on arrival at Birmingham Airport from Porto back in Nov 2021. They were just picking out random people and this was really just as international travel was picking up again after Covid - so the first real Brexit test.

I did accidentally wander into the 'Nothing to declare' area on arrival at Belfast Intl a few weeks back rather than the 'EU Arrivals' lane as I forgot different rules applied. I looked like a bit of a lemon snaking around the place for no apparent reason :lol: The lone officer was occupied with someone though so didn't even notice me pass.

PupCuff

It's the same as the 'loophole' to do with passengers transferring airside from an international flight to a domestic one at Heathrow; in theory, you're supposed to declare any goods using the red phone in the domestic arrivals area at your destination. In practice...
I've always wondered how they expect someone who has a disability meaning they can't use a phone to make a customs declaration where the only apparent option is to use the telephone. There doesn't seem to be anything like an obvious textphone or face to face alternative, perhaps if you speak to airport staff they have alternative methods available by radio-ing someone?

I've never needed to make a customs declaration so it's a moot point but I've always been curious.

sh24

At least 12 officers in the green channel at LGW, lunchtime today. There was a big bag of cigarettes being seized by 2 of them and the rest seemed to be gearing up for the Jamaica flight.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When arriving earlier this year (cannot remember where from) into Terminal 5 there were Border force officers with a dog at the airport end of the jetbridge asking customers to hold their bags low to their left at the height of the dog. I didn’t really understand what they were asking until after I had passed them and nobody chased me down or anything.

poffle

If you fly or come on a ferry into Ireland ( including from GB) you'll go through passport control and customs. Ireland is not in the Schengen zone.

If you're coming from EU you can go through blue land whereas if coming from UK you should go through green lane. There may or may not be a customs officer there. Haven't been stopped for donkeys years and it it is very rare to see anyone being quizzed.

Generally customs enforcement these days seems to very intelligence focussed with scanning of hold baggage before it hits the arrivals hall.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
If you fly or come on a ferry into Ireland ( including from GB) you'll go through passport control and customs. Ireland is not in the Schengen zone.
Yes, but, I believe this scenario is as was the case when we were still in the EU (but not Schengen); there was no actual limit on tobacco for personal use. There were nominal limits above which questions may have been asked, is all.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes, but, I believe this scenario is as was the case when we were still in the EU (but not Schengen); there was no actual limit on tobacco for personal use. There were nominal limits above which questions may have been asked, is all.

This is correct, I used to go to Luxembourg twice a year and bring back about 4000 Benson & Hedges Gold in a Suitcase.

As this was purchased and transported by me and for my own personal consumption it was perfectly legal.

In theory someone living in Northern Ireland can still do this due to their special status with regard to the EU.

200 Duty Free Cigarettes was a poor substitute for the former arrangements when we left the EU.

mpthomson

I have not seen any visible Customs presence when entering the UK via (normally) London Heathrow (T5 and T3) at all different times of the Day on scores of occasions over the last few years.

Is it the same at other UK Airports ?

Yes, they're there. There are some cleverly disguised viewing panels plus CCTV in all customs areas and obviously they're trained to look for supicious behaviours, and as above luggage is often scanned before the belts.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That's largely how they work - intelligence, a strategic view and spot checks if someone looks suspicious on the CCTV. A very different situation to some other countries where everyone undergoes a customs declaration and discussion, e.g. Australia (I think, never been there but heard it enough).

But if you want to see them out in force, try flying from Amsterdam or Colombia - they're out in force with the drug dogs then! (Probably Canada too I'd imagine now cannabis has been legalised there).

sk688

Given Ireland is stepping up Garda checks on the border given the spat-between Sunak and McEntee over migration it may be a bit more difficult now

route101

Established Member
I seen someone for the first time using one of them customs phones.

Given Ireland is stepping up Garda checks on the border given the spat-between Sunak and McEntee over migration it may be a bit more difficult now
I used the Belfast to Cairnryan ferry recently and there was a few Spanish lorries using the service. I did wonder if they entered Ireland from Spain or France then came up to Belfast.