• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB class 90 updates

TBSchenker

And is in fact well on it's way to being cosmetically restored at the Crewe Heritage Centre, where it currently resides on loan from Freightliner.
Isn't 050 owned by someone else now, having been swapped with 016 many years ago? I'm sure I read somewhere about some "paper" transfer of ownership?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Isn't 050 owned by someone else now, having been swapped with 016 many years ago? I'm sure I read somewhere about some "paper" transfer of ownership?
016 and 050 were swapped between Porterbrook (at the time owners of the Freightliner 90s) and EWS after a fire in 050 found to have been caused by deficient EWS maintenance. 90050 was subsequently sold on a couple of times for spares recovery and ended up under Freightliner ownership.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
233 and 033 are the same loco. You can't count them twice!
Depends on your personal set of rules really. I gave up spotting in 1979 and only recorded haulage from that point on. so 90033 which was renumbered 90233 and was renumbered back to 90033 is all the same loco for me, but clearly not for others.

I am still struggling to believe these are being scrapped, but the truth is they have old hat electronics which were obsolete when built and are not economically repairable, whereas mechanical relays are more easily sourced, or repaired.

It would be nice for a class 90 to gain the "black top" livery as that suited them best, and surprised one of the LSL pair hasn't, although IO suppose the purists would say 90001 and 90002 never carried that particular variant of the livery

Trainman40083

Depends on your personal set of rules really. I gave up spotting in 1979 and only recorded haulage from that point on. so 90033 which was renumbered 90233 and was renumbered back to 90033 is all the same loco for me, but clearly not for others.

I am still struggling to believe these are being scrapped, but the truth is they have old hat electronics which were obsolete when built and are not economically repairable, whereas mechanical relays are more easily sourced, or repaired.

It would be nice for a class 90 to gain the "black top" livery as that suited them best, and surprised one of the LSL pair hasn't, although IO suppose the purists would say 90001 and 90002 never carried that particular variant of the livery
I would think modern electrics might also have metered power consumption and put power back into the OHLE when braking etc...Of course, the real problem is where the terminals are not wired.

D365

Veteran Member
I would think modern electrics might also have metered power consumption and put power back into the OHLE when braking etc...Of course, the real problem is where the terminals are not wired.
This has been fitted to some 90s, but I’m not sure if it is still in use.

Rhysdabeast

Established Member
90018 and 90040 heading to Basford Hall tomorrow

SC318250

Were they not just stopped for wheelsets?

90025/031 to Freightliner as well, more than likely for spares

Trainman40083

It will be interesting to see what happens with electric locos on freight in GB. Maybe the 93/99s will be game changers.

Rhysdabeast

Established Member
Cheers Rhys, does anyone know if these are just for spares for freightliner, or will they be reinstated and painted orange?
They've had a single Freightliner logo applied to 1 side each so I would presume they are going to be reinstated

On Moderation
Cheers Rhys, does anyone know if these are just for spares for freightliner, or will they be reinstated and painted orange?
Those two were by far the best condition of the first batch of 12 that DB offered for sale. Obviously the second batch were in much better condition, so it may depend if Freightliner have also bought from the second batch as well.
90025/031 to Freightliner as well, more than likely for spares
Those two have been reported elsewhere as going to EMR (recycling, presumably, not the TOC!), but possible they have been sold on?