• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dear old Dad

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMS6202

My Pop was a fireman on the LMS 1938 all through the war until 1947 and had fired most types of loco albeit some in the yard only. He once fired the Turbomotive down from Camden to Euston and told me that she was a good engine when working right, but was a bit of a hungry beast coalwise. He was once sidelined somewhere when she came speeding past and said she made a sound rather like a jet plane. I'd love to have seen that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Dad? Had to get of the steamers due to chest problems [which run in the family] However he was not off the rails long as he went to LTE in 1953 until his death in 1985.

Ah ok sorry about that.

Lucky man getting to drive some Stanier locos I would of guessed :)

LMS6202

Ah ok sorry about that.

Lucky man getting to drive some Stanier locos I would of guessed :)

You remind me of a story that Dad told me that during the war his driver was taken bad on the footplate whilst in motion. Pop had to bring the train to a stand at the first available station. The driver was taken off to hospital and Dad had to take the train into loop sidings with a porter shovelling and await a new driver. Luckily the train was a freight.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
You remind me of a story that Dad told me that during the war his driver was taken bad on the footplate whilst in motion. Pop had to bring the train to a stand at the first available station. The driver was taken off to hospital and Dad had to take the train into loop sidings with a porter shovelling and await a new driver. Luckily the train was a freight.

Nice story! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.