• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay - How much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drogba11CFC

Yesterday, I went up to the NEC for the Warley show. I had planned to get the 07:23 WIN-BAS, the 0807 BAS-RDG and the 0912 RDG-BHI which would get me there at 10:41. However, the 0723 was cancelled, forcing me to get the 0823, and the 1011 from Reading ended up 22L into Birmingham International.

How much can I claim for? It was a split ticket, so can I claim for 143 minutes (cancellation plus missed connection plus XC delays) or only 74 (cancellation plus delays to following train). It should be noticed that most of my delays were a knock-on from the cancellation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
You claim from the TOC of the initial delay, without that cancellation you would not have missed a connection. How many minutes late did you arrive at Birmingham International (BHI)? This will be the amount you claim for. Further delays and who is responsible are not relevant here.

It's worth noting that there is a difference arrival and departure time at BHI, it was booked to arrive at BHI at 1038, and no doubt the 1041 is the departure time?

Edit :
So having read this again it looks like you are wanting to try to claim an hour delay from the first TOC, and then the full 73 minute delay off of the next one. This isn't the way it works i'm afraid.

It looks like the train you wanted to catch should have arrived at 1038, and it looks like the train you ended up catching arrived at 1202 which is 1hr24 minutes, (84 minutes) late. So your claim is with South West Trains for 84 minutes which should get you 100% of a single ticket or 50% of a return ticket back. You'd benefit from e-mailing them with copies of all tickets used as it is a bit more complicated when using split tickets but there is no reason for them not to pay out.

Last edited:

Drogba11CFC

I arrived at 1203, so (excuse my maths) it's a 60-119 minute delay. 143 minutes was a mathematical error.

Drogba11CFC

You claim from the TOC of the initial delay, without that cancellation you would not have missed a connection. How many minutes late did you arrive at Birmingham International (BHI)? This will be the amount you claim for. Further delays and who is responsible are not relevant here.

It's worth noting that there is a difference arrival and departure time at BHI, it was booked to arrive at BHI at 1038, and no doubt the 1041 is the departure time?

Edit :
So having read this again it looks like you are wanting to try to claim an hour delay from the first TOC, and then the full 73 minute delay off of the next one. This isn't the way it works i'm afraid.

It looks like the train you wanted to catch should have arrived at 1038, and it looks like the train you ended up catching arrived at 1202 which is 1hr24 minutes, (84 minutes) late. So your claim is with South West Trains for 84 minutes which should get you 100% of a single ticket or 50% of a return ticket back. You'd benefit from e-mailing them with copies of all tickets used as it is a bit more complicated when using split tickets but there is no reason for them not to pay out.

143 minutes was actually a mathematical error. I intend to enclose copies of both tickets when I send the form out.

robbeech

Established Member
Could you photograph / scan your tickets and email them, that way you have the original copies of tickets and it should be faster!

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I didn't know there were any trains from Winchester [WIN] to Bere Alston [BAS]. ;)

Assuming you actually meant Basingstoke [BSK], your claim would be with South Western Railway as they caused the initial delay.

Looking on RTT, your booked train was due to arrive at Birmingham International at 1038 and your eventual arrival time is recorded as 1202½, for a delay of 1 hour 24½ minutes. Under SWR's Delay Repay scheme, this entitles you to a full refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.