• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay with southern - ticket missing - prospects for success

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi - just helping a relative with a D-R claim. They did not know D-R existed before I advised them to claim, and thus on the delayed journey let the ticket get swallowed up by the gateline barrier.

So the journey was on a Off Peak Rtn ticket - paper , and the delay on the return leg (13 mins delayed southern service caused missed connection to GWR and thus ended up 60 mis late in arrival at destination).

However, passenger still had outbound ticket - thus prooving they had a return ticket in my view, so I advised to upload a copy of the outward ticket with the claim.

Just wondered what people's views were on the chances of success of a claim supported by the ticket for the wrong leg?

I am expecting it may need to go to Appeal in order to get properly considered.

Also, and as an aside I found the Southern on line D-R form not very good in terms of lack of clarity of what info to put in for any journey that involved a change of trains for example.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fenchurch SP

Hi - just helping a relative with a D-R claim. They did not know D-R existed before I advised them to claim, and thus on the delayed journey let the ticket get swallowed up by the gateline barrier.

So the journey was on a Off Peak Rtn ticket - paper , and the delay on the return leg (13 mins delayed southern service caused missed connection to GWR and thus ended up 60 mis late in arrival at destination).

However, passenger still had outbound ticket - thus prooving they had a return ticket in my view, so I advised to upload a copy of the outward ticket with the claim.

Just wondered what people's views were on the chances of success of a claim supported by the ticket for the wrong leg?

I am expecting it may need to go to Appeal in order to get properly considered.

Also, and as an aside I found the Southern on line D-R form not very good in terms of lack of clarity of what info to put in for any journey that involved a change of trains for example.
In my experience with them you have to resubmit at least once even for fairly straightforward claims. If you enter the details of the first leg of the journey you will then be able to add the subsequent legs, (NR only, not Underground) .

WesternLancer

Established Member
In my experience with them you have to resubmit at least once even for fairly straightforward claims. If you enter the details of the first leg of the journey you will then be able to add the subsequent legs, (NR only, not Underground) .
Thanks - I didn't even find it clear what they meant by 'leg': did it mean outward part of rtn ticket, or the 1st train you were on before a change en route of the delayed journey. It was like Southern had never asked anyone to test the web page who had actually been on a delayed journey...

1955LR

Slightly different, but I successfully claimed from TFW for the extra cost of a taxi home due to a late running train , my return ticket being retained at the barrier & thus I had no actual evidence I was on the delayed train , They accepted my word for that, accompanied by the outward portion of the ticket and a receipt for the taxi .

gray1404

Established Member
I would apply using the outward ticket and then if it gets rejected or queried just follow up saying that the ticket was retained at the barrier but you are using the outward portion as proof of travel.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
I would apply using the outward ticket and then if it gets rejected or queried just follow up saying that the ticket was retained at the barrier but you are using the outward portion as proof of travel.
If there's room on the initial application for free text, is it worth mentioning at that stage why you have a picture of the outward ticket but are claiming for the return?

WesternLancer

Established Member
Slightly different, but I successfully claimed from TFW for the extra cost of a taxi home due to a late running train , my return ticket being retained at the barrier & thus I had no actual evidence I was on the delayed train , They accepted my word for that, accompanied by the outward portion of the ticket and a receipt for the taxi .
Thanks - that is helpful to know.

Thanks - yes done this and that is good approach if turned down.

If there's room on the initial application for free text, is it worth mentioning at that stage why you have a picture of the outward ticket but are claiming for the return?
Thanks - no free text space at all on 1st stage of claim with Southern - as obv that would have been helpful, so will make this point at appeal if required since I assume you can write stuff then to explain why you are appealing.

UPDATE - 11 Feb: To their credit southern have approved this without question BUT they have approved a 59 min delay payment whereas I reckon it was 60mins delay.

I can't seem to get Real Time Trains to show that day now despite altering the date in the URL (seen on here the suggestion that this works to look at old service actual times).

Pertinent arrival times were GWR 11.39 departure from Cosham to Bath, but had to take the 12.39 instead due to delay on Southern service into Cosham (Thurs 3rd feb)

So unless the 12.39 arrived at Bath early it was a 60 min delay, but before going back to them I'd like to check if that train did in fact arrive a few min early compared with the planned train's scheduled arrival time (ie what time the 11.39 from Cosham was due into Bath).

Is there any other way I can check those times for 3rd feb?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
I had a look at http://charlwoodhouse.co.uk/rail/liverail/train/25703043/03/02/22

That suggests that the 11:39 from Cosham was 2 minutes early at Bath on 3rd Feb :-

These are train movements from TRUST and my understanding is that most/(all?) TOCS use those timings to assess delay repay ( at least initially.)
Thanks for searching that out for me @JB_B - so it would be the arrival time of the 12.39 (1F18) from Cosham at Bath that would be pertinent - since instead of arriving at 13.36 he would have arrived however many mins after that time (or its expected time) that the 12.39 from Cosham arrived at Bath Spa.

That looks like it arrived at 14.35 or 1 minute early (if I have used that website correctly in my check) - which is 59 mins and maybe thus the reason for a 59 minute D-R payment not a 60 minute one that would have been payable had that train arrived on time at 14.36?

Last edited:

JB_B

Established Member
Sorry, yes, this is the link for the 12.39 from Cosham -

as you've seen that was 1 early so, unfortunately, it looks looks like 59 min is correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.