• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Depot driving cancels need for valid psychometrics when going mainline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WombleGuard

Hi,

Just wondering, if you're already a depot driver and progress to mainline, is the need for valid psychometric passes still a thing?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dynamonic

Hi there,

If your Depot Driver role includes an element of driving on the mainline, then you will complete the full mainline Train Driver psychometrics as part of the recruitment process for the Depot Driver role.
You will also be trained with the full mainline Train Driver rules package during your initial training, so you can be issued with a Train Driving Licence.
This licence will stay with you throughout your train driving career, so you will not need to complete the psychometrics again as you progress into a mainline role.

DJP78

On Moderation
Depends what grade of driver. It's getting more complex. Some depots now have maintenance staff / fitters qualified to move IET's around the confines of the depot. They don't have a driver license, sit a very short 2-3 week course and can't go anywhere near the mainline. These types of maneuverers will have to sit their psychometrics if they want to progress to full driver grade

Then there's depot driver grade who, as stated in the above reply, are licensed drivers, can drive on the mainline and will have already sat and passed the full psychometrics. These grade drivers won't need to sit any further psychometric testing and will simply transfer to mainline with route training

KRH

SWR make depot drivers resit the entire process again if your assessments run out of date, which is now 5 years,

So if you’re a depot driver for more than 5 years you’ll need to do the entire process again, I know a couple of depot drivers who were made to resit the assessments and failed twice and unfortunately they cannot go mainline but that was back in the days where to assessments lasted 2 years, 5 years should be more than enough time to go mainline if you really pushed for it

Established Member
SWR make depot drivers resit the entire process again if your assessments run out of date, which is now 5 years,

So if you’re a depot driver for more than 5 years you’ll need to do the entire process again, I know a couple of depot drivers who were made to resit the assessments and failed twice and unfortunately they cannot go mainline but that was back in the days where to assessments lasted 2 years, 5 years should be more than enough time to go mainline if you really pushed for it
If they looked to another company and hold an EU/new type licence then they wouldn't have an issue

Many depot drivers from my place have gone on to freight companies or other TOCs when they were screwed over and didn't need to do the tests again

Samzino

Established Member
If they looked to another company and hold an EU/new type licence then they wouldn't have an issue

Many depot drivers from my place have gone on to freight companies or other TOCs when they were screwed over and didn't need to do the tests again
What company if I may ask? I was told SWR seems to only giver depot drivers a driver I'd card but no Licence?

Established Member
What company if I may ask? I was told SWR seems to only giver depot drivers a driver I'd card but no Licence?
Both my own TOC (that you could probably work out if you dig) and Greater Anglia both give an EU licence - I believe East Midlands do too. Not sure on any others

Samzino

Established Member
Both my own TOC (that you could probably work out if you dig) and Greater Anglia both give an EU licence - I believe East Midlands do too. Not sure on any others
Ah I see ok that makes sense I would have thought it was the norm but seems not so with some TOCs

Established Member
Ah I see ok that makes sense I would have thought it was the norm but seems not so with some TOCs
I suspect in an effort to limit their career progression options outside the company in the wider industry

Samzino

Established Member
I suspect in an effort to limit their career progression options outside the company in the wider industry
I believe so indeed. Makes sense iguess because if you got a License you could ideally move to another TOC and make up the training difference a bit more easily.

Established Member
I believe so indeed. Makes sense iguess because if you got a License you could ideally move to another TOC and make up the training difference a bit more easily.
Indeed. With many TOCs removing the right of progression from shunter/depot driver to mainline driver it's only going to get worse. There is a clear preference in many places now to try and keep shunters in the yard (while dangling the mainline carrot to keep them working hard) and then employ street to seat for the mainline positions anyway

Samzino

Established Member
Indeed. With many TOCs removing the right of progression from shunter/depot driver to mainline driver it's only going to get worse. There is a clear preference in many places now to try and keep shunters in the yard (while dangling the mainline carrot to keep them working hard) and then employ street to seat for the mainline positions anyway
Shambles really but I guess that's why they pay quite a bit more than other TOCs for Depot Drivers.

GPR

As mentioned, if you’ve completed your psychs they last for 5 years before having to sit them again if wanting to move from depot driving to mainline.
People have failed their psychs after the 5 years have lapsed and then mainline is off the cards.

ThePeakNed

Hi there,

If your Depot Driver role includes an element of driving on the mainline, then you will complete the full mainline Train Driver psychometrics as part of the recruitment process for the Depot Driver role.
You will also be trained with the full mainline Train Driver rules package during your initial training, so you can be issued with a Train Driving Licence.
This licence will stay with you throughout your train driving career, so you will not need to complete the psychometrics again as you progress into a mainline role.
TOC dependant.

Northern depot drivers are only taught 6 weeks of the normal driver training course. As a result, their licenses aren’t issued by ORR, they’re provided internally.

Samzino

Established Member
I was told by several drivers I spoke to for gaining on the role that depot drivers usually are picked within the company itself first and then they consider external apps. This is usually why apps close so quickly at times. Depending on TOCs some don't do full mainline driver training as to clamp down on depot driver turnover like SWR this means instead of a European train driver license you'll get an internal ID or licence for the company.

It's not at all a bad foot in the door role and SWR for example pay pretty well but if you want to do any mainline driving then it's hoped to get into a trainer course within 5 years of your last Psychometrics test as I understand.

Last edited:

tiptoptaff

Established Member
GWR Depot Drivers are taught full rules and passed to drive mainline so don't need to resit their psychometrics or owt else when transferring mainline. They could also transfer to another TOC as a qualified driver, as they hold a full mainline license.

Manouverers at GWR, however, do not have a full license and need to resit their rules course in full to go mainline. However, I believe GWR only makes them do the DMI after the inital application stage and don't resit their psychometrics.

Samzino

Established Member
Thanks for the info tip, do you know if GWR also prefers to source is depot drivers first from internals such as Qualified drivers before other internals like Guards and then externals? I also assume the average newly qualified GWR depot driver stays two to three years before moving to a mainline role with GWR or another

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Thanks for the info tip, do you know if GWR also prefers to source is depot drivers first from internals such as Qualified drivers before other internals like Guards and then externals? I also assume the average newly qualified GWR depot driver stays two to three years before moving to a mainline role with GWR or another
They recruited them like they would for any other driver at any other depot.

On the timescale couldn't tell you. Have to do 2years minimum before they can transfer but none of them have reached that yet

Samzino

Established Member
They recruited them like they would for any other driver at any other depot.

On the timescale couldn't tell you. Have to do 2years minimum before they can transfer but none of them have reached that yet
I see ok that aligns roughly with what I heard about. Cheers

Efini92

Established Member
TOC dependant.

Northern depot drivers are only taught 6 weeks of the normal driver training course. As a result, their licenses aren’t issued by ORR, they’re provided internally.
They still sit the same psychometric tests though.

coxxy

TOC dependant.

I still had to do psychometrics when I went for MDD at Northern... these were then valid when I went mainline..

coxxy

I never said Northern MDDs weren’t required to do the psychometrics. What I said was it’s not an EUTDL they’re given.

I know.. was just making sure the OP understood that although MDD's didn't get full licence, they still sit the same psychometrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.