• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailment near Grange Over Sands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
I think they are referring to the twisty section of the A590 between Greenodd roundabout and the Rusland pool
Looking at that on Streetview, it's narrower than I remembered it. Might need to close sections of the road to traffic in the opposite direction while it passes?

AMD

The two units are being dragged to Ulverston and taken out by road from there.

D6130

Established Member
Difficult to think of anywhere that's got suitable access in Ulverston
Presumably the former goods yard/oil terminal alongside the station on the Up side....although, IIRC, it's now partially occupied by a builders' merchant in the old goods shed. Road access should still be possible though.

Ben Anslow

Don't think the 195s and 331s have removeable stepboards....open to correction though, as always.
Think they are bolted and torqued down I remember when 195 testing started in 2018 with 195103 and 195105 they didn’t have them on then and they were out measuring the gaps especially carnforth

Perhaps it was tilted round the bends? :smile:
Off thread now. I heard that a tank on a low loader , that was going up to Eskmeals, ended up being driven off the back , when the low loader got stuck on a bend or a bridge somewhere. I don't know if it's true or not.

Paul_10

Dragged by the looks of it by 195s that are trapped in Barrow at the moment so they were not going to Ulverston under their own power.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is there an ongoing investigation by RAIB? I can't find it at
It can often take weeks or months until their website list of current investigations gets updated. There‘s sometimes an early press release, but not always. I wouldn’t worry about it yet.

As a recent example, the Walton on Thames 450 derailment happened on 4 March, but the investigation announcement was dated 19th March.

Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
Presumably the damaged 195s will have an impact on serviceable unit availability for some time. The second unit may have suffered minimal damage?

It can often take weeks or months until their website list of current investigations gets updated. There‘s sometimes an early press release, but not always. I wouldn’t worry about it yet.

As a recent example, the Walton on Thames 450 derailment happened on 4 March, but the investigation announcement was dated 19th March.
They must be reading this thread. It's just been posted!

AndrewRL

P1010792.JPG
Another CAF set waiting at Grange station. The chap in the pic wasn't very forthcoming, but confirmed he had come on the "wrong" line from Ulverston (nearest crossover in that direction) and the plan was to pull the damaged train away. But there's a problem:
P1010781.JPG
Front bogey of the third carriage is jacked up & engineers in attendance
P1010782.JPG
I'm guessing (but no more than that) that the bogie is too damaged to run to Ulverston and skids will be attached. Anyone know any more?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I'm surprised the second unit can be towed - whether coupled to the first oine or otherwise. From the photos and video, the misalignment between the third and fourth carriages (the two driving ends of the units) suggests damage to the couplings between them, and possibly other damage to the cab fronts.
(it looks like the rear of the third carriage was derailed to the right, but the fourth stayed on the rails)

Mike Redding

I am unaware of them ever travelling north of Millom on that route (other than trivially just north of the station to "run around" to the down platform for Millom terminators).
I believe one has made it to at least Workington before now, possibly even Maryport? As far as I'm aware it's Bullgill near Aspatria that's the problem? Probably more issues further up too.

randyrippley

Established Member
So we have these two derailed units "wrong side" of the hole, but how many more are trapped? Will they need trucking out as well? I guess it depends on how long the track will take to be fixed

Killingworth

Established Member
So we have these two derailed units "wrong side" of the hole, but how many more are trapped? Will they need trucking out as well? I guess it depends on how long the track will take to be fixed

The hole is very deep on one track. How badly damaged is the other? Could it support a very slow movement across it, possibly with some additional support?

Last edited:

12C

According to a local Facebook group there are 4 195s stuck at Barrow carriage sidings, in addition to the 2 involved in the incident.

1D53

Established Member
Bits of short forming elsewhere as a result. 2 cars running in Blackpool York today as an example.

Geeves

Established Member
As 1D53 says Manchester/Calder Valley (at least from my observations) isnt affected too much. All the units that are up there were on Barrow work and as those trains are not running for obvious reasons the issues are less. You can turn around the remaining units with hours to spare at Preston. Northern still have enough capacity to have units sat at Preston, Springs Branch and Leeds for example although these are legacy units

Status
Not open for further replies.