• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Devonmans 2023 All Line Rover - 13th to 26th June 2023 Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devonman2014

Well some of you may remember the 2022 First Class All Line rover where a report was done and now we have the 2023 version with hopefully a day by day update but firstly some back story.....

So basically following last years jaunts around the UK in which we took in the Jacobite steam trip, sleeper from Fort William, The NYMR to Whitby, Isle Of Wight amongst many other things we decided to do another but this one is not going to all be about railways (more of that later) so a number of concerts and shows have been booked.

The trip was arranged to statrt on Tuesday 13th June on the sleeper to Padd so on the 12th we went down to Exeter St Davids to purchase the all lines to find at 6.30pm the booking office was shut although it should been open till 8.30 with staff sickness being stated as reason the office was shut, a ticket could of been issued from a portable ticket machine although this would of been a paper ticket. Having had one of these for a local rover a couple of years ago after a few days they can become illegible and torn so i point blank refuse one for a 14 day first class ticket costing over £800!

We contacted GWR customer services and explained the situation and in all fairness they couldnt of been more helpful with the call ctr advisor having full understanding of my concerns, He basically told us we can buy one on the sleeper and if the guard can only sell paper tickets buy one at Padd - This may or may not be a discussion point with it being correct advice or right and wrong but this is what was advised to us.

Cue 01:06 and the sleeper rolls into St Davids with 57602 at the helm where we board and find the guard, We explain the situation and our concerns and ask him if he can sell the actual card tickets which he cant. Following a 10 min discussion he agreed to let us ride to Padd where we find 57604 had been attached to the rear of the train at Reading and we had been diverted via westbury and Chippenham instead of via bristol due to flooding, more importantly though we can proceed to buy the all line when the ticket office opened which is what we did.

With tickets now in hand we proceeded to Euston via a stint on the Elizabeth Line where one of the first services from Abbey Wood towards Heathrow was 345031 which was my last one for sight so a good start to the day as it wasnt even 06:30 by this time.
At Euston previous days gen online had shown that my last sleeper coach (15002) had gone to Glasgow on Sunday nights sleeper so should been in the consist of the Glasgow to Euston sleeper arriving on Tuesday morning so i was in line to clear my sleeper coaches and 345's before breakfast.
In rolls 92023 on time and off i trot looking for the elusive coach to find it must have been replaced on Monday daytime at Polmadie for 15004 - A few expletives were found coming from my mouth as exactly same thing had happened previously last year.....

Following a full english breakfast near Euston Station we proceed back to board the first train to Glasgow and departed 20 minutes late due to incoming staff being on an incoming late running train, following departure a serving of breakfast and drinks.

Three new class 730’s were parked at Camden although none were req and a stack of units were holed up in Wembley yard but I was too busy with my food and drink to note them, Flying through Bletchley four more 730’s all required were bagged.

Flying through Crewe nothing of interest was noted with the exception of the 2 new 730’s at LNWR which must be rusted To the spot as they were in exactly the same position a couple of months ago.

We had an uneventful rest of the trip up the west coast with the exception of 69001 and 66744 noted at Carlisle on the weed killer,following the WCML we passed through the new layout at Carstairs and we see a 26 minute late arrival at Central so we had kept late all the way.
Thanks to RTT i have a plan in place to get my last 7 class 385's between 3pm and 8pm with some travel in between..... Firstly following 2 of the 385's being copped in the first 20 minutes at Central we had a spare hour and a bit until the next ones so we went from Glasgow Central to Kilmarnock and back on 156502 paired with 156436 (with required track) then to the hotel to check in near Glasgow Queen St.

Following successful check in at the Z Hotel near Queen St we headed to Queen Street where 2 more of my last 7 were due in on preceeding terminators from Edinburgh which were duly noted and scratched off, then back to Central for two more in from Largs and Corkerhill which arrived empty to work peak hour services but with no time to waste we had to head back to Queen St !

With 6 of the 7 now done the final one was working from Edinburgh to Glasgow Queen St in a few hours time so we had a bit of time to waste, With 43032 and 43126 sat in Queen St with a working to Aberdeen we decide to go to Stirling for 385023 and 024 to Alloa (more required track) and the same two 385's back to Polmont where if RTT was correct my last 385 (018) would be on the next working to Queen St.

Getting to Polmont a scotrail member of staff has called the scottish RSPCA (may be called something else but i know them as RSPCA) as there was a fox under the stairs curled up asleep but had been seen walking around the area throughout the day, With suitable PPE and equipment they catch the fox and place it in a cage where they walk off to take to the fox for a check up prior to releasing back into the wild.

Bang on time at 19:42 my last 385 rolls into Polmont and takes us to Queen St where at just after 8pm we call it a day (all be it a 20 hour one).

Tomorrows plan was a trip to Fort William for the sleeper to Euston in a double bed room, more of that to follow......

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Devonman2014

Day 2

Waking up at 7am following a good nights sleep checking RTT i find the previous 2 nights sleepers into and out of Fort William had both been cancelled and RTT shows no incoming services from Glasgow direction, A frantic call to Caledonian Sleeper and we find the service will definately not run due to damage caused to infrastructure on the West Highland Line by flooding on Monday.

Now we have a problem as i have to be back Exeter on Thursday for a medical appointment with my boy.....so hastily (as in 20 mins) a plan is devised and we will be back in Exeter by darkness so off we go to Weatherspoons The Counting House outside Queen St for a breakfast prior to catching the 09:00 to Edinburgh which ran today with 385117 and 385118.
Due to it running 11 minutes late we have gone from a plus 16 to a plus 5 to get across the platforms to get on the 10:00 to Kings Cross which we managed in time and took our seats for the 2 and a half hour run to York arriving 4 minutes late but that was no issue for us.

Passing Craigentinny the Royal Scotsman was parked up with 66746 attached and 66743 parked in the siding, 68004 and 017 were seen at Oxwellmains on a nuclear train and 56105 on an engineers train at Alnmouth were the only locos spotted en route.
A few TPE and LNER Azusa’s passed us on our journey south before we reach York where heading across the platforms we find 57010, 57012 and 66422 all parked up, following a few photos we head back to the First Class Lounge for a drink and some nibbles before boarding the TPE 13:40 service to Manchester Piccadilly.
Today this was formed of 68032 and TPE set 13 which was a required set, 68032 performed impecably but arriving 4 minutes late due to a signal check on the approaches into Picadilly. I must admit to being a fan of the 68's and look forward to a few more runs over the next few years.

70017 is noted heading through P13 at Picadilly with lengthy freightliner consist and is the only notable thing that passes us by.

Having not seen let alone sample a 197 we are now heading for the 15:44 service to Llandudno as far as which is formed of 197019 and we arrive 6 minutes early leaving plenty of time to connect to the train to Crewe which was formed of 197018.
A manchester airport service is also in the platform formed of 197002 so thats 3 copped in an afternoon.

The next leg of Crewe to Birmingham is 3502xx and 350104 in an advertising livery and departure from Crewe is 3 minutes late with a 12 miuntes late arrival into Birmingham New Street but with an hour it is a comfortable wait for the final leg, That being the 19:12 New St (was 7 minutes late due to a preceeding freight train apparently) to Plymouth service which got us back 5 minutes late into Exeter and home by 22:10.

Tomorrow is a late afternoon start due to the lunchtime medical appointment but it will be fun :)

Last edited:

sarniasiren

Enjoyed reading your report. I start mine tomorrow, a 7 day one. Its for my 70th birthday which was yesterday I hope I survive. I haven`t done one before.
I have decided on most of my journeys and had a lot of assistance from a Northern booking clerk who made 10 reservations for me. I live in Lancs and tomorrow I`m off to Bournemouth via Liverpool and London, returning on a Cross Country to Manchester

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite the busy first two days, many yikes to the issues causing a hasty replan but it clearly yielded fruit :)

Looking forward to more, and @sarniasiren I hope you enjoy your trip!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
a ticket could of been issued from a portable ticket machine although this would of been a paper ticket. Having had one of these for a local rover a couple of years ago after a few days they can become illegible and torn so i point blank refuse one for a 14 day first class ticket costing over £800!
Frustrating for you, but also likely frustrating for the guard who [potentially] lost out on the commission of the £800 ticket sale! I say potentially because I’m not sure if they’re on commission.

Devonman2014

Frustrating for you, but also likely frustrating for the guard who [potentially] lost out on the commission of the £800 ticket sale! I say potentially because I’m not sure if they’re on commission.
He does get commission, as advised to us by the steward at the buffet who we chatted to before seeing the guard…
No idea on the percentage though unless you know ?

Devonman2014

Well now we are on day 4 already so the report for say 3 is detailed below….

Following a good nights sleep and a lay in followed by the medical appointment with my lad we find ourselves boarding the 15:15 train to Padd formed of 802113 which is non stop Taunton to Reading so reaches the capital in 2 hrs 15 min. First class trolley service provides soft drinks, cookies and crisps with the chocolate chip cookies being my favourite it has to be said.

Of note 802113 must be one of my highest GWR IET units as I have had it 4 times on the Exeter to Padd route although I dont log physic mileages just haulage’s but they have to be over 3 miles to count !

On time arrival at Reading with nothing really noteworthy on the trip up with the exception of about 6 freights passed at speed.

Passing Acton Yard 66032 is spotted amongst others which is a loco cop and first of the trip although with only 10 active locos required it may be more difficult to get others, however two are guaranteed for day 5 which will follow in due course.

Arrival into Paddington is spot on time and we head across London via the Elizabeth line and 345060 doing the honours, I have to say this New Cross London route is amazingly quick and 20 minutes after arrival into Padd we are on the concourse at Liverpool St.

Following a trip to Greggs and noting of a number of 720‘s we board 745002 for the trip to Ipswich with arrival spot on time, The loco sidings are empty apart from 950001.
Gen shows (thanks toPart Time Spotter blog) in the next 30 mins there will be 5 required for sight units in, 2 of which are working to Norwich.
At the Alloted time 755328,329 and 424 arrive on the 19:02 from Liverpool St so with 2 copped we board for the journey to Norwich Which are the first 755 haulage’s for me.

Arrival into Norwich at 20:50 we board the 21:02 back to Ipswich with 2 unexpected cops at Norwich being a bonus !

Gen from PTS blog shows in the next 30 min from arrival3 more unit cops so I hang around the station but only 2 arrive with a 3rd obviously being a set swap during the day.

Shortly after 10pm 950001 departs the holding sidings for a 6 hour jaunt around the Ipswich area doing what it Does best And with that after a 7 hour travelling afternoon and 11 cops it is off to find the hotel and a good nights sleep

Devonman2014

Well what can I say apart from I have been very slack in updating this so day 4 is detailed below and 5 to follow…

Day 4 started at the reasonable hour of 9:00 with an Greggs bacon and sausage baguette and consultation with PTS gen online I find I can see 2 of my last 5 class 755’s whilst on route with the day Which is a nice bonus,

Arrival at Ipswich sees 755331 arrive from Lowestoft so that’s 1 of the 2 copped, boarding 755328/329 and 424 (de ja vu from last night) sees us getting toNorwich where 755417 amongst others are parked up awaiting their passenger turns so thats 2 out of 2….Theother 3 will Have to wait.

We then board 158773 For the short trip to Ely with the service being very busy from where we take 387109 To Kings Lynn which is required track.

following a walk through town to spoons and a light lunch we return to Kings Lynn and board 387111 back to Ely with Peterborough and Leeds now being the destination. Whilst at Ely 47805 and 828 arrive at Ely with the Stateman ECS to park up ready for the next days tour, After grabbing some photos 158854 arrives to take us to Peterborough which Is an uneventful trip.

30 minute wait at Peterborough which sees a number of Azumas both passing through and stopping sees us then boarding 91110 for the trip to Leeds.

Arrival into Leeds was 10 minutes late and little did I know what was about to unfold, The plan was to catch 68 hauled service Leeds to York (started Manchester) with a 30 min wait at York for a return different 68 York to Leeds for XC voyagers to Derby.
What actually happened was by 17:45 the 68 hauled 17:30 from Manchester had not left Manchester (which we were planning on taking to York) so to salvage the return 68 working we wanted to take one of the many services from Leeds to York although the line from Leeds to York had gone up the swanny so it appeared we would miss the return 68 as well as the outward.

Then we See a Scarborough to Leeds terminator was due with 68 so decision was we will take that one when suddenly 68021 turned up on the 17:30 Manchester to Scarborough turned up 65 minutes late.
Consulting RTT doing this 68 to York would put us on the last 68 Scarborough to Manchester back as far as Leeds service so it would all work out although it would be a later arrival back to Derby.

Arrival into York we pop to the pub on the platform for a quick pint before we hear the announcement that the Scarborough to Manchester would be terminating at York as we see 68021 arrive into the bay with the said service and everyone disembark.
At the same time 68031 arrives with the return Leeds to Scarborough which would have been the service we were to be on and a bonus 68023 arrives on an ECS froM Scarborough resulting in a healthy 2 loco and 5 coach cops.

At York now the time being half 8 the 8:45 York to Birmingham was 25 minutes late but none the less we board it Aand travel back to Derby and our hotel for the night.

Day 5 to follow which includes a depot tour !

Devonman2014

So day 5 begins with a walk down London Rd and to the RTC where a number of test trains,37’s and more importantly 08871 (cop) was parked up, crossing the road and Litchurch Ln sees 720136 running on the test track, 720510 parked up ready for dispatch although not numbered with the exception of window labels.
Numerous Single car parts of 720’s are dotted around the site.

Back to Station Road sees us boarding a taxi to Toton where we have tickets to their fun day with a guided tour around the depot courtesy of DBC in conjunction with Rail Riders.
10:45 sees us allowed past Security and down the access road to the car park where we sign in and get our access tickets etc.

This is also part of Toton depots family fun day so employees with their wives and kids are also on site and ago event it was with 92029 , 90039, 66004 , both royal 67’s and rail riders 66175 all parked up.
At 12:30 there is retailing demonstration using 66069 and at 13:00 we see 66023 unveiled in its special livery to commemorate King Charles coronation.

Then at 13:30 the main enthusiast event in 2 groups of 25 we start a guided tour around Toton which takes us to all parts of the depot with our guide answering all and any questions.
Most importantly for me I cop both 66244 and 66224 so after copping 66032 I have now completed the 66 fleet with the exception of the new GBRF 66306-308 series.

followign completion of the depot tour we walk back to the main road and onto the s to Nottingham.

it is now late afternoon and with a 2nd night in Derby we are unable to go far so track is the essence of the rest of the afternoon, At Nottingham we board 158857 to Lincoln for a food stop at Wendy’s burgers which for the uninit (like me) is similar to Mc Donald’s but in my opinion tastes better…. Personal opinion of course lol

Back at Lincoln we board 195010 for the trip to Sheffield passing the many units at Worksop awaiting their Call South and many stored units with the scrapyard beckoning.

150222 is boarded at Sheffield to take us to Nottingham for a plus 5 to a Meridian to East Midlands Oarkway passing Toton for some required track for a unit to Derby , well that was the plan.

Reality was 150222 boarded but arrived Nottingham 8 minutes late so meridian passed us and left us replanning at Nottingham, We see 150222 takes us to Chesterfield for a XC south or a bus Nottingham to Derby.

Train wins and e return on 150222 to chesterfield for 2x221 to Derbyand at 23:15 concluded The day.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Two very different days, good news on making it on a 68 despite the issues :) The 150 from Sheffield to Nottingham then back to Chesterfield must have been a bit of a desperate move!

When did GBRf add 66/3s to their roster? I didn't know they existed, will have to keep an eye out and maybe even get a new spotters book!

Devonman2014

Two very different days, good news on making it on a 68 despite the issues :) The 150 from Sheffield to Nottingham then back to Chesterfield must have been a bit of a desperate move!

When did GBRf add 66/3s to their roster? I didn't know they existed, will have to keep an eye out and maybe even get a new spotters book!

The 150 move although not great was or seemed better than a bus !!

66301 to 305 were taken on lease (or maybe bought I can’t remember) earlier this year from DRS.

66306 onwards are ex European 66’s bought to England and converted to UK use and repainted into house colours by GBRF at Eastleigh and/or Longport.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah yes of course, the first 5 were with DRS, that much I remember now. I'm amazed GBRf need more 66s, going to have to keep alert with them more often. Although that said they usually catch my eye as I want more than 30 of the /7s!

Devonman2014

Good morning and several updates now follow due to me lacking in posting updates….

Well following Saturdays relatively relaxing day with just an afternoon on the tracks we awaken at Derby, grab a breakfast i the neighbouring cafe and head to the station, however first move of the day is onto a rail replacement bus for the 1 hr and 10 min trip across to Nottingham.
A10:50 departure from Nottingham on time takes us to Leicester via the Required track from Mansfield Jctn to Trowell Jctn for a reversal through Toton to Leicester Which I have done several times on railtours.
From her it is a short leap on 170620 to Nuneaton and 390130 non stop to Euston With the single cop of the day being 710375 at Willesden.
The underground takes us across London to Victoria for an unclogged set of 377’s out to East Croydon and our hotel base for 3 nights.

All in all being a Sunday it was a fairly relaxing and pleasant days travel.

Devonman2014

So with Sunday follows Mondays day out which starts at East Croydon at the reasonable hour of 08:45 and again a triple set of 377’s (again un noted) for the short trip to Clapham Jctn and 450077 and 450011 from Clapham to Basingstoke where our aim was to be at Basingstoke for the transfer of 66307&308 north to Longport.
By 08:50 they had not moved and sensing they won’t be going anywhere we board 220020 to take Us towards Birmingham however a glance at RTT shows all my remaining new 231’s (007 to 011) were out working and a connecting service from reading to Cardiff would see them all gotten in an hour, So at reading we head to Cardiff in 800028 which is a single unit and goes all the way to Swansea. Following the serving of drinks and snacks in the 1st class section arrival into Cardiff is spot on time and as per RTT the first 2 required units are in the platforms within minutes.
The plan now which is been formulated on the train from Reading is once all 231’s been obtained wehead on the Manchester loco hauled service to Ludlow for the return loco hauled to Cardiff and return to London on a GER service to get back to East Croydon by 7pm as an early night is required prior to tomorrow.

However checking RTT the first kick hauled is now 150284 and the return is 67010 with set HD 4 so ok we lose one 67 but gain one, On the move in 150284 at just gone 12:45 I check RTT again and the return Loco hauled is cancelled due to traction equipment issue if I recall correctly.
It seems to me locos are not on my side this week so consulting With RTT we decide to head to Crewe to grab lunch followed by a Avanti service to Euston so we can make use of the first class offerings and it is better than a lunch and wait at Ludlow.
Arrival on a busy 150284 at Crewe is 15 minutes late but with 730004 and 730039 on test from Nuneaton with 039 being a welcomed cop.
Following a much Required Lunch the next Avanti service is 221108 and 104 on a Chester to Euston service Which we take all the way through passing many services.

Due to now a retired and reprogrammed schedule we book a cheap hotel near Kings Cross as heading back across to East Croydon will reduce our sleep we need and make our early start earlier so even less sleep.

Arrival at Euston sees us across to Kings across and at the hotel for 7pm and bed by 7:30 for a few hours kip as tomorrow is something a bit different and a very early start !

Devonman2014

A bit of background to today - in the preceding months leading up to the all line a lot of time is spent making a basic outline of what we want to do day by day although this time this his gone in the bin due to thing beyond our control.

During the all line we try to do something a bit “out of the ordinary” or a “a bit different” so it is not all about trains….
Anyway a few months ago on good old Facebook an advert for Eurostar having a promo for return tickets to Paris for £80 was available, Living in Exeter this would normally mean 2 nights hotel in London adding to the cot thus making it expensive, however amalgating a day into the all line as we would need hotels anyway seemed logical and something a bit different.

So here we are now and the alarm goes off at the god unearthly hour of 03:30 and we arise, get ready and out the door by O4:00 walking the short distance to Kings Cross, As would be expected everything is shut up with the exception of a Mc Donalds which had yet to start selling breakfasts so a McChicken sandwich mea, is my breakfast and sat outside Kings Cross at 4.15 just didn’t seem right especially as we were watching the market stall holders situated outside King’s Cross arriving and setting up!

4:30 and we are at St Pancras and joining a long queue to check in for the 06:01 Eurostar to Paris.

Through ticketing, passport control, customs etc see us seated in the departure lounge by 5:15 until boarding was commenced at 5:45, our chariot for the trip being 3230 and partner.

Departure at spot on 6:01 sees us passing a couple of ECS 360 Units and a 222 parked in the East Midlands part of St Pancras, Exiting the tunnels and we are gaining speed as we accelerate through barking and past several 357 units on LTS services.
Wih day light now broken and In the blink of an eye we are now at 150mph heading along HS1 and after the various pointwork at Ashford onto required track over the flyover at passing several units parked up in the station and on services.
Continuing through Kent (on the required tract) at speed we pass Dollands moor just grabbing a glimpse of the yard through the trees before we enter the tunnel.

A guards announcement informs us we will be a little bit late into Paris as we are now following a tunnel shuttle train though the tunnel and we have had to slow down as a result of this however I personally didn’t notice any reduction in speed.

upon exiting the tunnel in France we slow due to the a shuttle train in front of us before we accelerate and head into France, We are soon at 170/180 mph and flying through France passing several services heading in the opposite Direction however not knowing any european operators or stock I have no idea what is what….

It doesn’t seem long before we are slowing on the suburbs of Paris passing several large depots and freight yards with arrival into Paris 4 minutes late, A cursory glance at the platforms and there are various high speed looking trains, some locos on stock with other locos shunting onto the back and I asssume commuter type double decker trains.

A day is then spent visiting some tourist spots in Paris with a lot of walking including the Eiffel Tower, Louvre and associated buildings, the palaces and of course Notre Dam to witness the massive task of the rebuilding being undertaken.

Not knowing the area, how to get around, where metro stations are etc we allow plenty of time to get back to the station as last thing we need is missing the train in a european country however this was remarkably quick as we got on a train and 3 stops later we were at the station with a couple of hours to spare !

We leave the station and find a local pub where a couple of beers are consumed followed by a Burger King meal (as this was opposite where we were drinking).

Checking in at Paris at 7:30 and through Passport control etc sees us board 4016 and friend at 8:45 for the 9:13 departure back to London which as expected was spot on time.
However with darkness falling we sit back and enjoy the trip through to the UK where it is total darkness by the time we exit the tunnel.

Back at St Pancras spot on time at 22:30 we head to the Thameslink station and straight onto 700144 for the 30 minute trip to East Croydon and bed by 23:45after a nigh on 21 hour day with lots of walking.

All in all though except for the tiredness it as a thoroughly enjoyable day where tomorrow we head home to change clothes over for the last few days….

Devonman2014

Well already we are on day 9 of the travels and it starts at 9am when we are up and getting ready to head home, A short hop on 377427,377421 and one other i missed sees us getting to Clapham Jctn shortly after 10:15 for the 10:27 back to Exeter which has 159p16 at the helm.
Arrival was 40 minutes late back into Exeter so a family taxi sees me back home, bags and clothes changed over and back to St Davids in less than an hour.

We have no plan at this point with the exception of getting the next train north and see where we end up, At 15:27 the Leeds train which I was expecting to be a HST arrives with 221122 which is boarded for heading north.
A plan for heading to Blackpool is formulated and by arrival at Bristol the services are decided and the hotel is booked, which is the Grand on the promenade for £45 seems a bargain and the photos make it look lovely But we will see.

Arrival spot on time at New Street sees us negotiating the infuriating exit and enter system to get from platform 5 to platform 9 and board 390943 to preston. the journey is uneventful with no looking at the LSL depot and LNWR workshops at Crewe is always carried out with the 2 new 730’s at LNWR still rooted to the spot.

Arrival at Preston was a minute or two late where we disembark and wait for the final leg of the trip to Blackpool which is in 331027 and 331031 which get us to Blackpool spot on time and into the Hotel by 9.15.
The hotel is by far the best we have stayed in on this trip so far and the cheapest although being last minute May have helped….and only a 20 Minute or so walk from Blackpool North made it a nice stroll taking photos of the setting sun.
Add to the fact also have a sea view helps and we can also see down the promenade for quite a way Along with the tower.

Food is now the main concern so after dropping off the bags we walk down the prom to the tower and find a spoons (which at 10pm was the only food outlet we found open) where food and a beer are consumed before a walk back to the hotel and bed by 11.30….

Tomorrow we have to head to London….

Devonman2014

Well ay 10 arrives and Blackpool is bathed in sunshine and are up by 8 and into the shower, it is at this point s bolt of lightening (metaphorically) hits me and I realise I have not checked RTT for the last 2 northern units (331022 and 195011) which I promptly do to see 33 leaving in 30 min from Blackpool towards Manchester airport and 195011 arrives 09:09 from york but departs 10 minutes later back to york and not seen in Blackpool until late afternoon.
Uncharacteristically unlike me I rush away from the hotel to the station and see 195011 arrive and double back into town for a breakfast….

Breakfast devoured and heading back to the station get aboard the next service to preston which today is in the hands of 319385 and spot on arrival.

802204 arrives from the north heading towards Manchester on a TPE to Manchester Airport which checking with RTT by going as far as Bolton of or a 5 minute change will see that pesky 331 pass back through towards Preston and no impacton the plan to get to Manchester and head south to London.

Doing this move sees us change and onto 331027 and 331011 for the Bolton to Manchester leg.

RTT today shows the 12:30 Manchester to Cardiff is in the hands of 67012 which is our next train in the trip south to not before 3 new 197’s are seen and a few photos taken.

67012 departs on time and at Crewe we disembark, Noting 2 new 730’s (004 and 027) on test on platform 2 and 197021 in platform 9 gives 2 cops in as many minutes with RTT showing a test run in from Holyhead and A non passenger service from Shrewsbury into a Crewe in the next 20 mins, 197048 arrives from Holyhead and 197014 arrives from Shrewsbury so in 25 Minutes there are 4 cops to make the daily tally 8 and it’s only early afternoon !

A late running pendolinoin the form of 390117 arrives 20 Minutes late for the fast run with one stop at Stafford only to Euston witha 25 minute late arrival at Euston.

Our hotel tonight is Edmonton where we are based for the one night as we are going to see the back to the future stage show at the Adelphi Theatre in london so transfer underground to Liverpool St, Overground out and back to Edmonton, Elizabeth line to Farringdon and underground to Charing Cross takes up the next 2 hours before we are at the Adelphi Theatre.

Following the excellent stage show which I would say to anyone is worth seeing if they like that sort of thing underground, Elizabeth line and overground sees us back to the hotel by 11:45 and a nights sleep is definitely in order.

Tomorrow we head for Leeds via some class 91 moves……

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A lot of variety! From the looks of it you had a 373 outwards and 374 on the way back. A long day in Paris, but clearly an enjoyable one :)

In terms of the UK, you definitely had a mix of trains! A shame you didn't get to do too much on TfW's MK4s, and ouch to the epic delay off the 159 into Exeter!

Status
Not open for further replies.