• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Direct Waterloo-Aldershot service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Always a single 450 when I have seen it. It goes on to work Aldershot - Ascot shuttles for most of the day

Hophead

Established Member
Single 450 unit. Formed off an incoming train from the Woking direction; the rear 8 cars of which form a Brentford line service a few minutes later. I wonder if this is a service which SWR have had a look at in their investigations into regular problems, as this perennial late-runner has been rather more punctual of late.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Thanks both - poor timing perhaps given the current virus crisis, but I was looking at experimenting at some point with using the train to get to our office again, given the recent worsening of the M25 now the government have resumed their smart motorways rollout. It's not very practical as the return fare to Woking plus the return bus fare to where I work was very expensive and the journey takes a long old time, but when I saw the fare to Bagshot was cheaper and there was a direct service, plus I wouldn't need to also pay for the bus fare, it made me want to give it a try, despite how horribly slow that line is and it being a 30 minute walk from Bagshot station. Any of SWR's stock would probably have sufficed, but was just interested to know what I'd be looking at.

Will this route see use of 701s latterly or is it likely to retain the 450s? I appreciate that's a long way off yet!

v199629

Thanks both - poor timing perhaps given the current virus crisis, but I was looking at experimenting at some point with using the train to get to our office again, given the recent worsening of the M25 now the government have resumed their smart motorways rollout. It's not very practical as the return fare to Woking plus the return bus fare to where I work was very expensive and the journey takes a long old time, but when I saw the fare to Bagshot was cheaper and there was a direct service, plus I wouldn't need to also pay for the bus fare, it made me want to give it a try, despite how horribly slow that line is and it being a 30 minute walk from Bagshot station. Any of SWR's stock would probably have sufficed, but was just interested to know what I'd be looking at.

Will this route see use of 701s latterly or is it likely to retain the 450s? I appreciate that's a long way off yet!

701 is not planned to be operating regularly on this route (probably except 1Nxx service in the peak time which some services are class 458 which could be replaced by 701).

Status
Not open for further replies.