• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diversions, and subsequent catchup options

enginedin

On Monday, there were overhead line problems at Wigan. My westcoast mainline train was diverted via Manchester. We were originally meant to go via Birmingham, but we were additionally diverted to skip Birmingham (i.e. no stop at Wolverhampton, Birmingham, or Coventry), apparently to make up time so that we'd arrive in London on time. Is this standard protocol? I was wondering if it'd affect more people who were going from the North to Birmingham who would then have to change, or people going to London who would be less late than they otherwise would have been.

It also broke Avanti's web timetable.... midnight at Watford?!

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 12.36.52.png

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
Midnight doesn't exist in rail operations. 00:00 here probably indicates that no time was recorded when it passed Watford Junction and is just a filler for what would otherwise be an empty field.

For late running trains there are other considerations, such as: the remaining hours for the driver; available paths through New Street and the West Midlands corridor; does the stock form another working; platform availability at Euston in the evening peak; etc.

They may affect the decisions by control as to whether to skip a station, with passengers being required to change onto a local service.

Whisky Papa

On Saturday 13th April, I was heading from Manchester to Wolverhampton, and opted to travel via Crewe on the 1030 ex-Manchester TfW service. While awaiting my connection at Crewe, 9M50 0652 Edinburgh - Euston via Birmingham called over an hour late, and was announced as not serving the stations via Birmingham (I can't now recall if Stafford was also missed). I was a bit concerned that this might lead to an exodus of passengers onto the 1119 Liverpool - Birmingham I was catching, but I need not have worried - I had the front coach virtually to myself.

jfollows

Established Member
On Monday, there were overhead line problems at Wigan. My westcoast mainline train was diverted via Manchester. We were originally meant to go via Birmingham, but we were additionally diverted to skip Birmingham (i.e. no stop at Wolverhampton, Birmingham, or Coventry), apparently to make up time so that we'd arrive in London on time. Is this standard protocol?
Yes, it's pretty common.
A bit tough for Birmingham area passengers, maybe, but it's almost an hour quicker to go direct and avoid the Birmingham area, so it's tempting to make use of the option.
Plus whatever the return working down from London is more likely to run on time.
So it's a better outcome for more passengers, which is the metric used it seems, but it's tough on Mrs. Miggins who wanted a through service to Coventry from Carlisle.

Wiganlad

I travel from Wigan to Birmingham and I cannot keep count the amount of times we have been kicked out at either, WBQ or CRE! But Avanti do not seem to be bothered, there is no consideration to there passengers, returning can also be a nightmare...I can get as far as Crewe say and then the Euston to Wigan train does not stop at Crewe!!!! Totally scuppered.

My brother fell foul of this when travelling from Wigan to Birmingham, train got diverted and he ended up in London and then paid to get back to Birmingham!!

The Avanti service from Wigan to the West Midlands can be appaling...if only LNWR could operate a local West Mids to Preston service to give us an alternative.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
My brother fell foul of this when travelling from Wigan to Birmingham, train got diverted and he ended up in London and then paid to get back to Birmingham!!
No option to bail out at Rugby or Milton Keynes Central? Also, why did your brother feel obligated to pay? I'd be claiming this back.

Wiganlad

No option to bail out at Rugby or Milton Keynes Central? Also, why did your brother feel obligated to pay? I'd be claiming this back.
No it went non stop from Crewe, my Brother was quite shy so would not ask a train manager! Anyway my brother is no longer with us so I dont think is is worried about claiming it back

voyagerdude220

Established Member
No it went non stop from Crewe, my Brother was quite shy so would not ask a train manager! Anyway my brother is no longer with us so I dont think is is worried about claiming it back
I've never known Avanti to make a Scotland/Blackpool to London via Birmingham service run none stop between Crewe and London, even when they've been over an hour or two late.
I suspect your Brother got the wrong train.

Peter0124

Established Member
Another reason they'd divert via the Trent Valley is if the service is 50-60m late and the next hours via Birmingham is right behind, meaning it would be silly to run them both that way as pax via Birmingham can just swap train. It is most common for the southbounds to be diverted as most start from Scotland were there is more chance of delay then starting from London.

I headed from Glasgow to London via Birmingham last year as I wanted to take a detour, but as we were a bit late we were diverted via the Trent Valley.

I suppose this is one of the very few disadvantages of merging Scotland - Brum with Wolves - Euston, as Wolves to London in daytime hours is only served by the through service.

Last edited:

Falcon1200

Established Member
I've never known Avanti to make a Scotland/Blackpool to London via Birmingham service run none stop between Crewe and London, even when they've been over an hour or two late.

Indeed; My wife was on a heavily delayed Glasgow-Euston via Birmingham service which was diverted via the Trent Valley, but it still made its booked stop at Milton Keynes Central; Which suited her as she was travelling to Northampton!