• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you support women-only carriages?

Do you think that we should have women-only carriages?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Over many years of experience - any vulnerable passengers on DOO trains - tended to be asked to sit next to the drivers cab on such flaky line as the Watford - Euston DC in the bad days , often with a friendly word to the driver to keep an eye out for them - ditto some of the South London Lines.

Things I hope - have got better - if only perhaps that off peak trains are often now much better loaded than they were ....and of course we have things like CCTV / mobile phones etc and generally a much better awareness of "risk" .....

I do agree though that higher levels of staffing - on trains and stations - ought to be factored in. These are societal benefits as well as cost benefits. Manning of stations from first to last trains on TfL "routes" is excellent.

As a youth - I inadvertently boarded a ladies only compartment on the Watford DC line - and was removed rather promptly by station staff at Euston - genuine mistake - we never had such things on the Central Wales line from Ammanford ...

Master29

Established Member
Do they mean Annie and Clarabelle?

Attachments

• MyThomasStoryLibraryAnnieandClarabel.png
    MyThomasStoryLibraryAnnieandClarabel.png
    437.8 KB · Views: 15

BestWestern

Established Member
Before anyone starts to jump out on me, I don't particularly support this idea but I am interested to know what women's thoughts are on this considering this is a proposal regarding them. I don't think it will be that popular with women but I am sure there will be support, or at least more than what is displayed on this thread.

It is also every bit as much a proposal regarding men.

Last edited:

PudseyBearHST

It is also a proposal regarding men.

Not directly. This is supposed to benefit women. The question that everyone has been discussing on here and on the other thread is whether there is a real benefit to women or not. My point was that considering that this proposal does not benefit men, I don't expect them to see it in the same light as women would/may see it.

SS4

Established Member
Meh, this has been done ad nauseum (and I cannot spell it apparently and I certainly can't be bothered to search for the spelling) .

It won't happen and pretty much everyone (including the author I'm sure) knows it. I'd rather have an adults only carriage in all honestly.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Not directly. This is supposed to benefit women. The question that everyone has been discussing on here and on the other thread is whether there is a real benefit to women or not. My point was that considering that this proposal does not benefit men, I don't expect them to see it in the same light as women would/may see it.

I doubt the majority of women in 21st century Britain would see this as benefiting them in the slightest. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The people who've thought this up are a very, very far removed from most normal, intelligent adults of either gender.

Edit: The following is from the horses mouth (a UK discussion forum that tends to be frequented by more women than men):

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3013700-Bloody-hell-women-only-carriages-AGAIN

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41020179

And what would happen when a woman gets assaulted in a mixed carriage - why didn't you use the "ladies" carriage? The transport equivalent of wearing a short skirt and asking for it.

Let's restrict women rather than demand men act like decent human beings.

F off Labour MP

And the other mumsnet threads pretty much mirror the majority opinion on here.

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
This is what happens when people who have no practical experience of life, who have gone to school, university to study politics, have no common sense, are voted into office.

Completely impractical

The guy who has floated this idea went from school not to University but to a Mechanical Engineering apprenticeship (which he left after a year). He then worked as a bricklayer for six years before training as a social worker. He then spent 14 years in social work/ welfare rights.

Just saying.

:)

DuncanS

I was in Malaysia last year and there were woman only carriages on the rail network over there.

PudseyBearHST

I doubt the majority of women in 21st century Britain would see this as benefiting them in the slightest. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The people who've thought this up are a very, very far removed from most normal, intelligent adults of either gender.

Edit: The following is from the horses mouth (a UK discussion forum that tends to be frequented by more women than men):

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3013700-Bloody-hell-women-only-carriages-AGAIN

And the other mumsnet threads pretty much mirror the majority opinion on here.

Fair enough. I'm sure this has been discussed on the other thread but just found: "Jeremy Corbyn says no to women-only carriages on trains because 'people don't want them' "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...s-no-women-only-carriages-trains-people-dont/

Some amusing comments in the 'comments section:'

"If Corbyn says its a bad Idea then it will probably happen.Personally having commuted in carriages with pm women and bad tempered ill mannered, perfume spraying make up dropping females I would personally welcome segregated carriages" Howard Copestake

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The guy who has floated this idea went from school not to University but to a Mechanical Engineering apprenticeship (which he left after a year). He then worked as a bricklayer for six years before training as a social worker. He then spent 14 years in social work/ welfare rights.

Just saying.

:)

Explains a lot.

fowler9

Established Member
It's an absolutely mad idea. There aren't enough people to police things the way they are and many services are already overcrowded. How would it work on a 142 from Lime Street to Oxford Road late on a Saturday night?

LiftFan

What a stupid idea. There are a lot of services in this country that consist of one carriage, would that mean the railways would be forced to run them as "women only services"? Not much better for people on 2 carriage trains either, given what the Bristol - Weymouth train is always like on a summer's day...

BestWestern

Established Member

Yes, directly! Suggesting that being banned from travelling in a certain carriage because of a gender apartheid doesn't constitute 'directly affecting' somebody, because it's intended to benefit somebody else, is very, very narrow minded.

PudseyBearHST

Yes, directly! Suggesting that being banned from travelling in a certain carriage because of a gender apartheid doesn't constitute 'directly affecting' somebody, because it's intended to benefit somebody else, is very, very narrow minded.

Well, it certainly would not have been benefiting me (not that this proposal benefits anyone) so I don't think that's narrow minded at all. I am a male and I actually wanted to know what women thought of this proposal rather than, "screw it, this has no benefit for me" which I think is equally as narrow minded if not selfish. I think there are far more better reasons to why this is a bad idea than simply 'Men don't like it' or 'this has a detrimental effect on Men's daily lives.'

The two main themes that I have gathered from this thread and the other thread is that firstly, this idea of women only coaches does not actually do anything to resolve the issue of why it has been proposed in the first place and secondly, the practicalities of installing and enforcing women only coaches. I think most people knew what I meant when I said that this is a proposal regarding women. The proposal is certainly not not going to happen because of the impact to men thus why I said it didn't directly affect us.

This is getting ridiculous now and I think we can all agree, Jeremy Corbyn included as of his statement, that this is a stupid proposal.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Personally I feel there should be "Men Only" Carriages supplied with the appropriate literature (does it still exist?) :oops:

Women and Children should be consigned to the Baggage Compartments (if they still existed) :p

broadgage

Smoking has been banned on all national rail trains for many years now, however after about 22-00 many people DO smoke on local services with presumably almost no risk of prosecution.
If the present smoking ban cant be enforced in the late evenings, how is gender segregation to be enforced ?
And no, bringing back/retaining guards wont help, I have observed a lot of smoking on SWT services all of which have guards. If a guard hiding in the back cab cant enforce the smoking ban, how will they enforce segregation ?

Similar arguments apply to first class accommodation which is de facto declassified in the late evenings.

Established Member
Yes, provided that all women passengers are required to use them.

Not only has this thread provided an opportunity for nostalgia (it wasn't only Southern EMUs that had Ladies Only compartments), but also it's introduced me to the word "meh" which I hadn't heard of before and probably won't ever use in the future.

PudseyBearHST

Yes, provided that all women passengers are required to use them.

Not only has this thread provided an opportunity for nostalgia (it wasn't only Southern EMUs that had Ladies Only compartments), but also it's introduced me to the word "meh" which I hadn't heard of before and probably won't ever use in the future.

Are you basically suggesting that they completely segregate Men and Women? So in that case it would not just be a 'Women's only coach' but half the number of coaches for Men and the other set of coaches for Women. I don't think that will go down too well with the public, let alone here.

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
Well, it certainly would not have been benefiting me (not that this proposal benefits anyone) so I don't think that's narrow minded at all. I am a male and I actually wanted to know what women thought of this proposal rather than, "screw it, this has no benefit for me" which I think is equally as narrow minded if not selfish. I think there are far more better reasons to why this is a bad idea than simply 'Men don't like it' or 'this has a detrimental effect on Men's daily lives.'

The two main themes that I have gathered from this thread and the other thread is that firstly, this idea of women only coaches does not actually do anything to resolve the issue of why it has been proposed in the first place and secondly, the practicalities of installing and enforcing women only coaches. I think most people knew what I meant when I said that this is a proposal regarding women. The proposal is certainly not not going to happen because of the impact to men thus why I said it didn't directly affect us.

This is getting ridiculous now and I think we can all agree, Jeremy Corbyn included as of his statement, that this is a stupid proposal.

You are completely failing to appreciate the point that a situation 'concerning' a person or group of people is not exclusive to those who would supposedly benefit from it.

Being told that you cannot enter a public area because you are male, you therefore by definition cannot be trusted and females require you to be segregated from them for their safety, 'concerns' me every bit as much as it may concern the women who are allowed in. You appear to be of the view that the only impact such a situation would have is on the women who are supposed to benefit, ignoring that it is sickeningly out of order towards the men who are universally branded as habitual sex pests. It has a huge impact on them too, and so it 'concerns' both sexes, whether it benefits or disbenefits them.

Last edited:

PudseyBearHST

You are completely failing to appreciate that 'concerning'a person or group of people is not a definition that is exclusive to those who supposedly benefit.

Being told that you cannot enter a public area because you are male, you therefore by definition cannot be trusted and females require you to be segregated from them for their safety, 'concerns' me every bit as much as it may concern the women who are allowed in. You appear to be of the view that the only impact such a situation would have is on the women who are supposed to benefit, choosing to ignore that it is sickeningly out of order towards the men who are universally branded as habitual sex pests. It has impact on them too, and so it 'concerns' both sexes.

Ok fair enough mate. Don't get me wrong, I am a male too so I understand where you are coming from. That did cross my mind and of course this proposal affects everyone who travels by train. But my main point from my initial post was that I was just curious to know what women thought. I never meant that only women's opinions count nor did I mean that men have no right to an opinion. It was just that I wanted a broader view and wanted to know what other people thought, not just males/train enthusiast/workers, and as Bromley Boy kindly provided, it is clear that even most women don't like the idea.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Personally I feel there should be "Men Only" Carriages supplied with the appropriate literature (does it still exist?) :oops:

:p

Since Fiona Richmond ascended to that Great Pullman Carriage in the Sky (her father was a vicar, so he probably arranged it) she probably took remaining stocks with her. Never saw it myself, of course: insert appropriate or inappropriate joke about blindness;)

JamesTT

No because of the hypocrisy of the sexism movement. If someone that looked like Rab C Nesbitt wanted to come in the woman only carriage the door would stay firmly shut, whereas the bloke from the diet coke add the door would be open before he got to it

Parallel

Established Member
I don't support women only carriages, but I do support idiot free trains*

* If only it was enforceable ;)

Nym

Established Member
I don't support women only carriages, but I do support idiot free trains*

* If only it was enforceable ;)

From the likes of the 'graduates' coming through the workplace art the moment, a level of education couldn't be used in order to discriminate this...

No because of the hypocrisy of the sexism movement. If someone that looked like Rab C Nesbitt wanted to come in the woman only carriage the door would stay firmly shut, whereas the bloke from the diet coke add the door would be open before he got to it

"Like Button"

Status
Not open for further replies.