• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you think that the UK switching to electric vehicles is realistic?

Class 317

A single petrol station has at least two pumps, most have four or six. When you queye behind another car in the petrol station, they will be gone in 5 mins or less. Waiting for an EV to charge, plus charging yours and you've wasted an hour doing nothing.
Google images and pretty much every publication and car dealer cites not being able to shift their EV stock. People don't want them. Lots of people who rent houses won't pay to install charging ports on their drive and same for people who rent or own properties in terraced streets.
Nissan isn't the only EV maker. BMW, Kia, Tesla and MG make them mass market as well. Nissan city cars don't fit the needs for most families, hobbyists and people who need space to pile their stuff in including pets and such.

Who wants to stop 30-40 mins and have a significntly longer journey time when road speeds are going down to 20mph in Wales and Surrey already. Our roads are overcongested and slow and on top of that, do you really want to stop for so long when all you want to do is just get to your destination? This isn't about stats, it's about the human experience of living with an EV. Continuing to develop petrol hybrids will yield far more cleaner and efficient engines than ever on the other hand.
Yesterday I drove Reading to Skipton in my Zoe.
1 stop of 30 mins for coffee, lunch, charge etc.
I would have stopped for that amount of time to have a break anyway. Charger worked first time and was pay by card.

The reality is that anyone making a journey of that length would need to stop anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The reality is that anyone making a journey of that length would need to stop anyway.

Certainly, and anyone who doesn't probably needs forcing to do so because driving for 4 hours without any break at all (my bladder would never last that!) is not really safe.

The problem is that the availability of charging at the preferred stopping place is far from guaranteed. If we are serious about a switch, there's going to need to be a whack of subsidy that goes into creating that infrastructure, so rather than maybe 5% of spaces at motorway services typically having chargers (particularly ones like Norton Canes where almost every user will be on a long distance trip) it's more like 50%.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Just driven my first ever electric car, a 73 reg 900 mile Corsa GS courtesy car while my car is being serviced, power available went from 54% to 48% in 9 miles, does this sound acceptable? maybe I'm not getting something obvious, can this really equate to the cars range?
Just the same as petrol cars, lots and lots factors affect fuel usage. It's just you notice more with EVs. But driving style, traffic conditions, amount of electrical equipment running, weather and temperature

A single petrol station has at least two pumps, most have four or six. When you queye behind another car in the petrol station, they will be gone in 5 mins or less. Waiting for an EV to charge, plus charging yours and you've wasted an hour doing nothing.
Google images and pretty much every publication and car dealer cites not being able to shift their EV stock. People don't want them. Lots of people who rent houses won't pay to install charging ports on their drive and same for people who rent or own properties in terraced streets.
Nissan isn't the only EV maker. BMW, Kia, Tesla and MG make them mass market as well. Nissan city cars don't fit the needs for most families, hobbyists and people who need space to pile their stuff in including pets and such.

Who wants to stop 30-40 mins and have a significntly longer journey time when road speeds are going down to 20mph in Wales and Surrey already. Our roads are overcongested and slow and on top of that, do you really want to stop for so long when all you want to do is just get to your destination? This isn't about stats, it's about the human experience of living with an EV. Continuing to develop petrol hybrids will yield far more cleaner and efficient engines than ever on the other hand.
You really don't have a clue do you? Did you get your "facts" from the daily mail by any chance. Saying dealer's can't shift EVs is just utter nonsense, there are huge waiting lists, it's simply not possible to buy one as demand is far outstripping supply. But don't let the truth stand in the way of your argument.
I wouldn't call the Leaf a city car at all. You've clearly never seen one and, yet again, demonstrate you've no idea at all what you're on about.
I'm not sure why you're stopping for 30-40 minutes? It takes 10-15 minutes to rapid charge an EV. But, again, you clearly don't know what you're on about.
I do live with an EV and there's no way I'd go back to petrol. EVs are so much better. But, people don't like change. They'll make anything up to try and live in the past.

Last edited:

RailWonderer

Established Member
You really don't have a clue do you? Did you get your "facts" from the daily mail by any chance.
No, family and friends know a few car dealers, and the market does not want them. Remeber all the pro-diesel propaganda until we discovered they were dirtier than petrol. I'm always skeptical of these fleeting trends because before you know it, they're out. And why is this thread obsesed with the Nissan Leaf? For one reason or another most people will not want one or it won't be right for them.

It's so cheap and easy to call me a dailymail reader just because you are an EV advocate. The reality is the entire market does not base their financial decisions on what the daily mail says.

They'll make anything up to try and live in the past.
Remember when diesel was the future? Remember when card payments were the future? Much of Europe is cash only. Progression is relative, what you see as progress is not progress to another customer.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No, family and friends know a few car dealers, and the market does not want them. Remeber all the pro-diesel propaganda until we discovered they were dirtier than petrol. I'm always skeptical of these fleeting trends because before you know it, they're out. And why is this thread obsesed with the Nissan Leaf? For one reason or another most people will not want one or it won't be right for them.

It's so cheap and easy to call me a dailymail reader just because you are an EV advocate. The reality is the entire market does not base their financial decisions on what the daily mail says.

It is true that EVs are being heavily discounted to sell them - but that's just because they were so outrageously priced in the first place. Ten grand extra on an average hatchback isn't justified or acceptable. The manufacturers are now realising that (they'll need to cost the same as petrol on a per-month PCP) and prices are coming down.

I wouldn't call the Leaf a city car at all. You've clearly never seen one and, yet again, demonstrate you've no idea at all what you're on about.

The Leaf is a small-medium hatch, but its poor range particularly as it ages (given the lack of active battery management on older models) turns it into one - it's what you buy instead of a used Corsa as a second urban runaround car.

I do live with an EV and there's no way I'd go back to petrol. EVs are so much better. But, people don't like change. They'll make anything up to try and live in the past.

There's an element of that, but it's also true that a lot of EVangelists (I just made up a term I think :) ) are so besotted with them that they overlook some still quite big downsides. The poor availability and high cost of public charging being the main one - that really needs fixing on both counts - both in terms of putting subsidy (whack it on fuel tax to fund it, as it's one off capital spending) into creating those charging opportunities and some sort of price fixing far below what they typically are now, just as we have for domestic gas and electricity.

I'm considering one but I'm pretty sure it's going to be one more petrol first. I do a lot of long journeys to places where there's just no charging at all (for outdoor activity type stuff) and so it would really be faff.

RailWonderer

Established Member
It is true that EVs are being heavily discounted to sell them - but that's just because they were so outrageously priced in the first place. Ten grand extra on an average hatchback isn't justified or acceptable. The manufacturers are now realising that (they'll need to cost the same as petrol on a per-month PCP) and prices are coming down.
Sure, for the right price they will sell a lot more, but infrastructure is still lacking not in the UK as much as in parts of Europe and the US though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sure, for the right price they will sell a lot more, but infrastructure is still lacking not in the UK as much as in parts of Europe and the US though.

Infrastructure is massively lacking in the UK. If it's worse in other countries, then that's even worse! :)

To cope with 100% EV adoption we will need maybe 30-50% charger coverage of parking spaces at motorway services, for instance (not everyone will charge, but somewhere like Norton Canes a very large number will), and probably 100% at hotels and blocks of flats plus a load on street (e.g. lamp posts). And it'll need to be priced far more reasonably, too. Presently it's dirt cheap to charge at home if you have off road parking, but it's crushingly expensive to do so in many public places unless you have a Tesla.

Deafdoggie

Established Member

The Leaf is a small-medium hatch, but its poor range particularly as it ages (given the lack of active battery management on older models) turns it into one - it's what you buy instead of a used Corsa as a second urban runaround car.

There's an element of that, but it's also true that a lot of EVangelists (I just made up a term I think :) ) are so besotted with them that they overlook some still quite big downsides. The poor availability and high cost of public charging being the main one - that really needs fixing on both counts - both in terms of putting subsidy (whack it on fuel tax to fund it, as it's one off capital spending) into creating those charging opportunities and some sort of price fixing far below what they typically are now, just as we have for domestic gas and electricity.

I'm considering one but I'm pretty sure it's going to be one more petrol first. I do a lot of long journeys to places where there's just no charging at all (for outdoor activity type stuff) and so it would really be faff.
First things first, I love EVangelists! :D
The Leaf is the biggest car I've ever owned, so I'm possibly a bit biased. But I've been to Inverness in it & I've been to Penzance in it. Most stops were dictated by my bladder rather than the car range! We've had it virtually two years now, and in that time I've seen the number of chargers increase drastically and the speed of the charge increase drastically too. Admittedly the first generation Leafs were a little more problematic.

Remember when diesel was the future? Remember when card payments were the future? Much of Europe is cash only. Progression is relative, what you see as progress is not progress to another customer.
It's odd because every dealer I've been to says there is at least a 12 month wait on EVs as demand is far outstripping supply. But maybe some dealers weren't selling as well and have got some left over. But if you name the dealers with excess stock I'll be able to get them shifted before the end of the week for you.
I remember card payments being the future, because they are-although I don't see what that has to do with anything. And why does what Europe have to do with anything? They drive on the right are you advocating we should do that do? A very pointless argument.

Infrastructure is massively lacking in the UK. If it's worse in other countries, then that's even worse! :)

To cope with 100% EV adoption we will need maybe 30-50% charger coverage of parking spaces at motorway services, for instance (not everyone will charge, but somewhere like Norton Canes a very large number will), and probably 100% at hotels and blocks of flats plus a load on street (e.g. lamp posts). And it'll need to be priced far more reasonably, too. Presently it's dirt cheap to charge at home if you have off road parking, but it's crushingly expensive to do so in many public places unless you have a Tesla.
Norton Canes is hideously under-provided for. But in the same way people drive off the motorway to buy petrol, so they do to charge. There are many chargers at pubs by motorway exits! But Exeter services are a victim of their own success.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
.....a lot of EVangelists (I just made up a term I think :) ) are so besotted with them that they overlook some still quite big downsides.....
That's because
a) they are better in almost every respect (petrol heads who love the fart of an annoyingly loud exhaust aside)
b) the downsides are not big. And are outweighed by some margin by the upsides.
In my (EVangelist) opinion as exclusively an EV user since 2017. I speak from actual personal experience, not hearsay.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
b) the downsides are not big. And are outweighed by some margin by the upsides.

For me they're not. I want an EV and I think I'll vastly prefer it. But range/charging availability anxiety is a big issue for me. I'm someone who seeks to refuel when my tank gets to a quarter and always starts a long journey with a full tank, I don't think my present car has ever had the light on.

If every services had enough chargers that you'd always get one at every site and the price was reasonable I'd be OK with it.

I can't be bothered with the faff of finding alternative places to charge off the motorway unless I already know of them. But because I get about 500 miles out of a tank of diesel I don't need to do that for my ICE - I can do a lot of long journeys without refuelling, or at most refuelling once.

And the second hand market is presently very limited. I don't want a PCP or a lease as I do quite a high mileage and abuse cars - I would end up being penalised for interior bashes and scrapes - and I'm also very limited as to what I can drive as I'm very tall and heavily built - so there's a limit to what I can get at a sort of cost I'm willing to pay.

I thought all of these things would be resolved by now, but it seems (in particular charging provision) to have slowed a lot. But I'm fairly confident in the 3-5 years I keep my next car for it will move on sufficiently that the following one will be an EV.

Last edited:

Deafdoggie

Established Member
For me they're not. I want an EV and I think I'll vastly prefer it. But range/charging availability anxiety is a big issue for me. I'm someone who seeks to refuel when my tank gets to a quarter and always starts a long journey with a full tank, I don't think my present car has ever had the light on.

If every services had enough chargers that you'd always get one at every site and the price was reasonable I'd be OK with it.

I can't be bothered with the faff of finding alternative places to charge off the motorway unless I already know of them.
I get that, and if I couldn't charge at home it would be vastly different. I've only once gone below 10% in mine and that was because I was heading home and knew I could charge there.
There is electric in most places and before now I've literally plugged it into a socket. Yes, it takes a long time, but if you're overnighting it's fine. If you're wild camping with scouts and there's no electric and a return trip is outside the range, then yes it could be a problem. But unless the return journey is more than the range and there's no chargers between home & destination (unlikely!) then it's not really an issue

skyhigh

Established Member
Expensive battery replacement will always be out of warranty
It's like groundhog day on here. This has probably come up 20 times in the last 100 pages.

In 99% of cases the battery will outlast the car and go onto a second life as energy storage. If there is a fault with the battery it will often be a single cell, not the entire thing, which can be replaced for a fraction of £10k.

And when the petrol engine, on my fully dealer-serviced car, had a catastrophic failure a few months out of warranty the manufacturer wasn't springing into action offering to cover the cost...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you're wild camping with scouts and there's no electric and a return trip is outside the range, then yes it could be a problem.

A lot of these journeys are for that sort of purpose, yes, and common destinations are the Lakes and North Wales which from MK are both about 4-5 hours/200ish miles so just outside typical real world range for an EV. I suppose that does put me in a bit of a niche. The train is my preference, but it depends exactly where I'm headed - not everywhere is easily reached by train and bus without taking time off work.

But even in hotels - you stay in a Premier Inn (I do a fair bit) and you'll see maybe 2-3 chargers in the whole 50ish space car park. That's not enough. (It's easier to do for hotels too, as a 13A slow charger would be absolutely fine as long as near enough every space had one!)

But unless the return journey is more than the range and there's no chargers between home & destination (unlikely!) then it's not really an issue

Then again you get caught up in finding a charger, which isn't always in the first place you stop. Hence why I think flooding places like service stations with reasonably priced chargers (they can make their killing on £2 Twixes and £5 coffees) is a very important part of the fix.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
But even in hotels - you stay in a Premier Inn (I do a fair bit) and you'll see maybe 2-3 chargers in the whole 50ish space car park. That's not enough. (It's easier to do for hotels too, as a 13A slow charger would be absolutely fine as long as near enough every space had one!)
Premier Inn do annoy me that they've gone done the rapid charger route. Whereas Travelodge have done the far more sensible overnight charges (even on motorway services)
Premier Inns argument is that you can pop it on the charger when you get up and it's charged by the time you've had breakfast. My argument is A) That's an unnecessary faff and B) everyone is doing that at the same time

Energy

Established Member
Premier Inn do annoy me that they've gone done the rapid charger route. Whereas Travelodge have done the far more sensible overnight charges (even on motorway services)
Premier Inns argument is that you can pop it on the charger when you get up and it's charged by the time you've had breakfast. My argument is A) That's an unnecessary faff and B) everyone is doing that at the same time
It doesn't really make sense to me. The DC chargers are way more expensive and many would likely require a costly supply upgrade. And their margins on charging will be much better when people are charging off-peak.

Though Premier Inn has decided to work with GeniePoint, so I presume it's at no cost to Premier Inn.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It is true that EVs are being heavily discounted to sell them - but that's just because they were so outrageously priced in the first place.

There's an element of that, but it's also true that a lot of EVangelists (I just made up a term I think :) )
It's more because manufacturers are being forced by government dictate to sell a certain percentage of electric vehicles within their overall sales figures on pain of being fined thousands of pounds for each non-electric sale if that % isn't reached. Sounds like the sort of thing the Chinese government might come up with!

Um, EVangelists and similar terms have been used by quite a well-known YouTuber called The MacMaster for yonks, he having a lot of experience of owning an EV, a Porsche Cayenne I believe, though I'm not 'into' cars at all. I find him to be affable and realistic, an ex-journalist who speaks his mind and was certainly not anti electric or a climate change denier. Certainly in my part of Cornwall there are few public chargers and the vast majority of people living in towns have no access to in-house charging. It's also well over an hour in the car to even get out of the county for those of us in the West.

Ken H

On Moderation
My sister had a family do earlier this year. She lives in Harrogate. My daughter has a leccy car. She and her husband set off early from S Warwickshire and did a park run in Rotherham. Then she came and socialised. My sister does not have a leccy car as she has a caravan. It was getting to the end of the do, and I heard her and her husband discussing where they would get a charge to get home. I think a motorway services was the option. So that meant a stop they didnt want, to drink coffee they didnt want.
Last time she came up to see her Mum in hospital, she borrowed her sons car which is a diesel.....

And they have to do it all again next month when my great niece gets christened.

Me. I dont have a drive. My front door opens onto a quiet lane thats public highway as its an old house in a village. There are few street lamps here and most are on brackets fixed to buildings. The nearest charger is in the next village 1.5 miles away.

One wonders how many of the EVangelists on here live in a suburban semi in a city or largeish town where it sort of works.

BTW, whats the etiquette about charging your car when visiting relatives or friends?

Deafdoggie

Established Member
It doesn't really make sense to me. The DC chargers are way more expensive and many would likely require a costly supply upgrade. And their margins on charging will be much better when people are charging off-peak.

Though Premier Inn has decided to work with GeniePoint, so I presume it's at no cost to Premier Inn.
And, of course, Geniepoint never work!

trebor79

Established Member
The reality is that dealers cannot shift their electric vehicle stock, and they are piling up on forecourts in the UK and in other countries. Expensive battery replacement will always be out of warranty added to the high cost of purchasing new without being able to use for long journeys due to lack of charging infrastructure and shortage of charging points.
This is all nonsense. I bought a used Tesla and do 1,000 miles a week in it. I did 30,000 miles last year, no maintenance other than tyres and washer fluid and it sailed through MOT. Cost me a total of about 4p per mile in electricity and tyres.

Who wants to stop 30-40 mins ... it's about the human experience of living with an EV. Continuing to develop petrol hybrids will yield far more cleaner and efficient engines than ever on the other hand.
If you want to talk about lived experience. On a long journey I can drive for 4 or 5 hours before the car needs to charge, I'm well over due a stop by then (in fact I take a break before that point).
I plug the car in. By the time I've had a twinkle and bought a cup of tea there's another 200 miles range in the battery. By the time I've drunk the tea the battery is full.
It takes no longer than by ICE, and in fact I don't waste 10 minutes pumping and paying for fuel. It's a much nicer drive, quieter too.
As for efficiency. My car fully charged contains as much every as that in 7 litres of petrol (yes, seven) and that will take me 300 miles at 70mph in the summer and about 220 miles at 70mph in the depths of winter. When you have found and ICE car that can come anywhere close you might be getting somewhere, but you never will because it's a thermodynamic impossibility.

Try one. You'll be surprised.

Energy

Established Member
an ex-journalist who speaks his mind and was certainly not anti electric or a climate change denier. Certainly in my part of Cornwall there are few public chargers and the vast majority of people living in towns have no access to in-house charging. It's also well over an hour in the car to even get out of the county for those of us in the West.
EVs may not currently work for everyone, such as yourself, and that will hopefully change over time as more public chargers pop up and the best solution for on-street EV charging emerges. That's different from being anti-EV, which are those who can't see it working for anyone, despite most Brits driving short distances and parking off the street.
If you want to talk about lived experience. On a long journey I can drive for 4 or 5 hours before the car needs to charge, I'm well over due a stop by then (in fact I take a break before that point).
Trying to talk about the human experience of EVs when several posters on here, like you, own one is definitely an interesting approach...

RailWonderer

Established Member
This is all nonsense. I bought a used Tesla and do 1,000 miles a week in it. I did 30,000 miles last year, no maintenance other than tyres and washer fluid and it sailed through MOT. Cost me a total of about 4p per mile in electricity and tyres.

I plug the car in. By the time I've had a twinkle and bought a cup of tea there's another 200 miles range in the battery. By the time I've drunk the tea the battery is full.
It takes no longer than by ICE, and in fact I don't waste 10 minutes pumping and paying for fuel. It's a much nicer drive, quieter too.
As for efficiency. My car fully charged contains as much every as that in 7 litres of petrol (yes, seven) and that will take me 300 miles at 70mph in the summer and about 220 miles at 70mph in the depths of winter. When you have found and ICE car that can come anywhere close you might be getting somewhere, but you never will because it's a thermodynamic impossibility.

Try one. You'll be surprised.
With the cost of motoring soaring including higher insurance for EVs I don't see myself owning one for many years. Plus you really need to own your own property to charge one or regularly drive to a place that has an available charger. There are high fees to charge at many stations and as demand increases the fees will only get higher.

bspahh

Established Member
It's like groundhog day on here. This has probably come up 20 times in the last 100 pages.

In 99% of cases the battery will outlast the car and go onto a second life as energy storage. If there is a fault with the battery it will often be a single cell, not the entire thing, which can be replaced for a fraction of £10k.
£10k for a battery sounds like a bargain, when Lexus are charging £938.06 plus £15.99 for shipping in 3-4 working days for a grille badge

That is a "Sale" price too. This deal was discussed on Twitter

Phil Huff @FrontSeatPhil
Wondering why car insurance costs are so high? If you have a small bump in your Lexus NX, you might need a new badge. How much would that new badge cost? Brace yourself.

The Ham

Established Member
New car registration data is out and it confirms a 3.1% fall for the second largest fall in fuel types (obviously diesel is continuing its fall off the cliff with a further 25% fall, with the number of new diesel cars being below 9,000) and a 10.7% increase for the smallest increase in fuel type.

Those who want EV's to fail will be happy at this point when I confirm that it's EV's which have fallen and petrol which have risen.

Having made your day you can stop reading now happy with some good news.

For everyone else, it's actually petrol becomes which have seen a 3.1% fall whilst BEV's have risen by 10.7%.

That fall in petrol is even worse, given that overall sales are up from last month (not by much, only 1%, but an increase none the less).

APRIL. 2024. 2023 % change . Mkt share -24

Diesel 8,649. 11,572. -25.3%. 6.4%

Petrol 74,877. 77,275 -3.1%. 55.8%

BEV 22,717 20,522. 10.7% . 16.9%

PHEV. 10,493. . 8,595. . 22.1%. . . 7.8%

HEV . 17,538 . 15,026. . 16.7% . 13.1%

Deafdoggie

Established Member
With the cost of motoring soaring including higher insurance for EVs I don't see myself owning one for many years. Plus you really need to own your own property to charge one or regularly drive to a place that has an available charger. There are high fees to charge at many stations and as demand increases the fees will only get higher.
Charging points are rising and petrol stations closing. Fueling will become much more of an issue for ICE

NoRoute

Consider a plug-in hybrid, you get relaxed driving from the automatic transmission and quieter cabin from the hybrid operation, if you plug it in every night the first block of miles every day are pure electric, on the longer distance trips you don't have any range anxiety and you get the fuel savings of a hybrid.

You need to do a bit more research with PHEVs as they're not all equal, different makes and models aim for different things, some toward efficiency and more EV like (Toyota, Hyundai, Kia) some towards power and acceleration with the efficiency taking a hit (BMW, some of the VAG makes).

Oh and don't fall for the line about it being worse than a regular car because its lugging a battery about, on most models the hybrid energy saving easily outweighs the battery weight and they still behave as a hybrid once the battery is empty - shutting down the engine and running on electric at lower speeds, recovering energy while braking etc.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
In time. But nowhere near yet!
They are, but not at a fast pace! But once new ICE cars are banned (whenever that may be!) petrol stations will start closing faster. It will get harder and harder to find petrol. But finding electric is easy

trebor79

Established Member
Well, the fuel and maintenance savings versus my old 208 banger cover the finance payments on the car, so I've plenty spare for the insurance.
Consider a plug-in hybrid, you get relaxed driving from the automatic transmission and quieter cabin from the hybrid operation, if you plug it in every night the first block of miles every day are pure electric, on the longer distance trips you don't have any range anxiety and you get the fuel savings of a hybrid.
Hybrids are rubbish and should be banned. There's maybe a case for PHEV, but the "mild hybrid" where all the energy is from petrol are no more efficient than a petrol car on a long run. Absolute waste of resources.

Neither I nor my wife have had "range anxiety" since we replaced our cars with EVs. It's a made up thing from tabloid journalists back when such a thing was reality with EVs with short ranges and not many charging options. Things have moved on just a tad on the past decade!

NoRoute

Hybrids are rubbish and should be banned. There's maybe a case for PHEV, but the "mild hybrid" where all the energy is from petrol are no more efficient than a petrol car on a long run. Absolute waste of resources.
The mild-hybrids aren't much better than a regular petrol car. But full hybrids are undoubtably better, at low speeds they run on the electric motor and minimise the use of engine, so they're not running the engine and pumping out exhuast fumes while idling or in slow traffic and that alone makes them better the regular petrol cars, particularly in towns and cities. Plus they regenerate energy while braking. Granted all of the energy ultimately comes from petrol, but their fuel economy is generally quite a bit better than regular petrols, for anyone who can't charge at home and where public charging isn't viable a HEV is probably the best option at present.

Same applies with the PHEV, sure it isn't as green as an EV, but if someone doesn't want an EV, then better to shift the first 20-30 miles of their driving every day to electric, using an efficient hybrid for the rest, than have all of that driving in a regular petrol car. For people who do lots of shorter trips, a decent proportion of their mileage will be on electric from the grid, same as an EV.

Some of the anti-PHEV/hybrid stuff is making perfect the enemy of the good.