• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does Southern ever use their class 377/6 and 7s on non metro routes?

nw1

Established Member
They’re more optimised for metro routes because of better acceleration, 2+2 seating throughout the whole train and they can more easily form 10 car units

Wouldn't 2+2 be more optimised for longer-distance journeys because they provide the maximum comfort and high-density seating is less important?

That was always the way in BR days, the 2+2 CIGs were used on longer-distance/fast services while the 3+2 VEPs were used on slower/shorter distance/peak services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GW43125

Established Member
Wouldn't 2+2 be more optimised for longer-distance journeys because they provide the maximum comfort and high-density seating is less important?
More standing space.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
377620 got trapped in Portsmouth over Easter in 2015 during a four day blockade between Havant and Chichester and spent the time running shuttles between Havant and Portsmouth Harbour.

PGAT

Established Member
Is this why 377/6s and 377/7s are no longer allowed in the Portsmouth & Southsea low level platforms?

alexsw60

They used to be quite a regular occurrence on strike days a couple of months ago on the east Grinstead line but haven't seen them for a while.

GW43125

Established Member
I seem to recall them landing on the diverts via Littlehampton when the Brighton Main is shut.

southern442

Established Member
They used to be quite a regular occurrence on strike days a couple of months ago on the east Grinstead line but haven't seen them for a while.
Occasionally at weekends they still make an appearance but I haven't seen them on any other mainline routes.

Is there a particular reason why these ones are stuck on Metro duties ?
In further response to this, they were ordered specifically for metro routes, so that they could easily have 10-car formations.

PGAT

Established Member
377610 and 377708 are doing the runs on the East Grinstead line today

alexsw60

There was 2 377/6s or 7s doing the runs today on the east grinstead line, however didnt see what numbers they were

RichJF

We had a 9 car combo on the East Grinstead line on Saturday. Old school 377 + 377/6.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There are a number of /1s that have fully 3+2 seating in standard as far as I'm aware.
377120-377139, which might appear to have 3+2 seating throughout, because it is in the centre section of each coach, have 2+2 seating at the outer ends.

LudwigTails

So I have read the rest of the forum and pretty caught up. So 377/6 or /7 had run out of their metro services before (curious why they didn’t order more but anyway).

However I on YouTube I have saw that a 377/6 running out of Brighton to Victoria back in February. The video in question is this.
read the comments, somebody say that it’s still happening every Sunday or so as one of the earliest trains out of Brighton.

Last time I personally saw a 377/6 was when it was sitting at lovers walk. Can’t remember when but I think it was sometime after the 313 retired. It was a match day that day.

And then even more recently. My friend sent me a picture of a 377/6 at Brighton in the evening, which was taken on 7/12/23, so few days ago. According to him, apparently they ran out of 387s on Brighton to Victoria services.

Would the chances of them running on the BTN is slim to none? That is if they somehow ran out of 387s.

physics34

Established Member
So I have read the rest of the forum and pretty caught up. So 377/6 or /7 had run out of their metro services before (curious why they didn’t order more but anyway).

However I on YouTube I have saw that a 377/6 running out of Brighton to Victoria back in February. The video in question is this.
read the comments, somebody say that it’s still happening every Sunday or so as one of the earliest trains out of Brighton.

Last time I personally saw a 377/6 was when it was sitting at lovers walk. Can’t remember when but I think it was sometime after the 313 retired. It was a match day that day.

And then even more recently. My friend sent me a picture of a 377/6 at Brighton in the evening, which was taken on 7/12/23, so few days ago. According to him, apparently they ran out of 387s on Brighton to Victoria services.

Would the chances of them running on the BTN is slim to none? That is if they somehow ran out of 387s.
The 377/6 and 7s were ordered to replace 319s and 456s and also some 2s that were loaned to FCC, and for the 10 car platform extensions. They ordered enough at the time. It was welcome extra capacity.

For a short time /6s were used on vic to brighton services on saturday, until the thameslink timetable change

LudwigTails

The 377/6 and 7s were ordered to replace 319s and 456s and also some 2s that were loaned to FCC, and for the 10 car platform extensions. They ordered enough at the time. It was welcome extra capacity.

For a short time /6s were used on vic to brighton services on saturday, until the thameslink timetable change
oh i see, but what about a sudden rolling stock change then? would sometimes /6s would hop in and help out?
And do they still run out of brighton at a weekly/daily basis anymore?

NSE

Established Member
oh i see, but what about a sudden rolling stock change then? would sometimes /6s would hop in and help out?
And do they still run out of brighton at a weekly/daily basis anymore?
They can. They have full clearance as per any 377 subclass and all drivers sign them. The tricky part is so many SN diagrams involve attach/detach (not necessarily in service but they’re booked to split upon arrival in Brighton post peak, or attach to another set upon arrival in Eastbourne ready for a peak return) that the change in carriage numbers can cause problems. You can’t stick one on a diagram that ends in a 12 coach formation as 13 is too long.

Plus, there’s something like 8 /7’s and 25ish /6’s, so around the 35 mark. That’s a very small percentage of the overall 377 fleet. You’ll more than likely find a spare /1-4 before you’ll find you’re forced to stick a /6 or 7 in. Especially as they’re based at Stewart’s Lane.

From what ive seen, the second generation class 377s (/6&/7s) used to be used on services towards brighton from victoria. Im not sure why that changed. They seem to perform alot smoother at acceleration towards higher speeds in multiple sets as opposed to the older 8 car sets made of 2x4 class 377s/1s 2s 4s etc. This means better acceleration up those steep inclines on the brighton mainline for sure.

LudwigTails

From what ive seen, the second generation class 377s (/6&/7s) used to be used on services towards brighton from victoria. Im not sure why that changed. They seem to perform alot smoother at acceleration towards higher speeds in multiple sets as opposed to the older 8 car sets made of 2x4 class 377s/1s 2s 4s etc. This means better acceleration up those steep inclines on the brighton mainline for sure.
maybe because they are suppose to be located for metro services?

maybe because they are suppose to be located for metro services?
Perhaps, but at the same time they are pretty much designed better than the older versions internally, to be able carry more people when they go towards of from Gatwick lets just say. More seats and carriages etc. So as a bi product id imagine they are useful for multiple service types? And probably why they were used in those services originally.

Theyve actually done a weird rotation of services over the years, not long ago were they on my local south london line between East croydon and london bridge via tulse hill, it was so short lived. They changed the train to /3s to make 6 cars now.

/7s also do East croydon to hemel hempstead now. But as a 5 car?? Odd because they are PACKED during rush hour. They need to throw in the old 10 car set up for those services whenever they can. I also find it odd that they were cut back from milton keynes. Maybe they could also do Bletchly (Bletchly has terminus /reversable platforms) or Tring services instead?

In summary the 377/6 and 7s do get plopped in some odd service locations and service types & seem to do them well. So i think they are better than just for metro style service in my opinion to be honest. Better at acceleration too. Only issue is some hardware & technical limitations prevent them from accelerating faster on AC. strange mechanical quirk if you ask me.

They can. They have full clearance as per any 377 subclass and all drivers sign them. The tricky part is so many SN diagrams involve attach/detach (not necessarily in service but they’re booked to split upon arrival in Brighton post peak, or attach to another set upon arrival in Eastbourne ready for a peak return) that the change in carriage numbers can cause problems. You can’t stick one on a diagram that ends in a 12 coach formation as 13 is too long.

Plus, there’s something like 8 /7’s and 25ish /6’s, so around the 35 mark. That’s a very small percentage of the overall 377 fleet. You’ll more than likely find a spare /1-4 before you’ll find you’re forced to stick a /6 or 7 in. Especially as they’re based at Stewart’s Lane.
Is it possible that there is a diagram for /6s and /7s on the brighton to victoria runs available? I want to try and ride them. The acceleration profile on the newer 377s seems alot more consistent id love to track their GPS performance to 90mph on the faster mainlines. If you know of any timetabled slots that they do , that would be perfect.

Last edited:

boiledbeans2

The answer will surprise you, but is slightly technical. TLDR: Only 3 MCMs on AC with a 377/7

Apologies if the sentences get a little long!

On a 377, the AC transformer has 6 pairs of windings, feeding a 4 winding box, and a 2 winding box. one pair of windings goes to each vehicle on a 4 car unit, each pair of windings providing power to all the components on that vehicle via the Line converter Module (LCM) of each coach. The LCM feeds the Auxiliary converter module (ACM) on the driving coaches and the Motor Converter Module (MCM) on all motored coaches. The design of the 5 car was set out to mirror that of the 4 car unit, only with the extra coach (MOSb).

The lack of an extra set of windings to serve the extra coach, results in there being no AC supply to MOSb, and as such on AC the unit only runs with 3 traction packages present. It always puzzled me as to why they couldn't simply double off the same set of windings for MOSa, but its probably a control circuit issue and would require a reasonably large redesign of the underfloor equipment on the PTOSL of the 5 car units to add the necessary contactors, and change the inter-car jumpers on the B end of the coach to carry the extra pair of windings to that coach (which would then make that end of the coach incompatible with the inter car jumpers on the DMOS if the MOSb had to be removed for any reason)
Thanks for the explanation! If I understand it properly, it means that the 4-car 377 has 3 traction packages powering the 3 motored cars, while the 5-car 377 has 3 traction packages powering 4 motored cars.

So what does it mean for the 5-car 377? Does it mean that 1 of the 3 traction packages is shared over 2 motored cars? Let's say the MOSb and DMOS share the same traction package (it's just a guess). Therefore, the inverters on the DMOS have to control and supply power to twice as many motors?

Thanks for the explanation! If I understand it properly, it means that the 4-car 377 has 3 traction packages powering the 3 motored cars, while the 5-car 377 has 3 traction packages powering 4 motored cars.

So what does it mean for the 5-car 377? Does it mean that 1 of the 3 traction packages is shared over 2 motored cars? Let's say the MOSb and DMOS share the same traction package (it's just a guess). Therefore, the inverters on the DMOS have to control and supply power to twice as many motors?
it is likely that the 'windings" as OP describes it is sharing power among the motors somehow. There are still 1 inverter near each motored bogie from a visual standpoint. So 4 inverter per bogie? I guess.

The class 377/2s (4 car) are max capable of 1500kw + in its entirety. Only on AC. On DC the power is restricted to 1200kw or so. This is limited by software

As Class 377/6s and 7s on DC use the same as the max power output (1500kw) as a 4 car electrostar as a result of the limited windings, so near 1500kw . They do so because they are aprox 40 tons heavier with the added 5th car. This equalises the DC acceleration of both 4 car (1200kw) and 5 car (1500kw) units on DC . The /6s and /7s being a little bit quicker on DC likely due to better efficiency as its a newer model.

However when 377/2s use AC power they go from 1200kw DC(aprox)output to 1500kw +AC output, this gives them a crazy acceleration boost.

However the joke of the matter here is because 377/7s are hardware /mechanically limited to use the max output of a 4 car electrostar (near 1500kw) they cant actually physically uptake more power even if they wanted to again due to the inbuilt limited hardware that only allows them to mimic 4 car Electrostars . Lmao :^), so the 5 car Electrostars end up accelerating at the same rate on BOTH AC and DC supplies. Its quite a sad joke on bombadiers part for not thinking about that at the time.

I even have my own performance footage of them on both AC and DC of class 377/7 and /6 (/6 is DC only but accelerates the same as /7s)

.AC acceleration of /7s (5 car)

.DC acceleration of /7s (5car)

What you end up with on both is videos is.
30mph to 40mph (12 seconds ish)
40mph to 50mph (14 seconds)
50mph to 60 mph (17 seconds)
no differece in acceleration rate at all.

aleggatta

You slightly misunderstand. On DC the MCM is fed via the high speed circuit breaker, which is fed via the DC bus line. On AC the dc bus line isn’t used, so ok DC you run with 4 MCMs and AC with 3( MOSb doesn’t power up so no MOSb motors). Current limits should be the same for each unit so the additional mass of the now trailing motor car affects acceleration.

You slightly misunderstand. On DC the MCM is fed via the high speed circuit breaker, which is fed via the DC bus line. On AC the dc bus line isn’t used, so ok DC you run with 4 MCMs and AC with 3( MOSb doesn’t power up so no MOSb motors). Current limits should be the same for each unit so the additional mass of the now trailing motor car affects acceleration.
This makes alot of sense. Well im still laymens. The acceleration is pretty much the same. I also find it strange because under the wires the motors still seem to make sound, so arent they still being fed power? I mean even on MOSb . It would seem anyway. Also i made video comparison of acceleration GPS Footage. They are the exact same in AC and DC

LudwigTails

Perhaps, but at the same time they are pretty much designed better than the older versions internally, to be able carry more people when they go towards of from Gatwick lets just say. More seats and carriages etc. So as a bi product id imagine they are useful for multiple service types? And probably why they were used in those services originally.

Theyve actually done a weird rotation of services over the years, not long ago were they on my local south london line between East croydon and london bridge via tulse hill, it was so short lived. They changed the train to /3s to make 6 cars now.

/7s also do East croydon to hemel hempstead now. But as a 5 car?? Odd because they are PACKED during rush hour. They need to throw in the old 10 car set up for those services whenever they can. I also find it odd that they were cut back from milton keynes. Maybe they could also do Bletchly (Bletchly has terminus /reversable platforms) or Tring services instead?

In summary the 377/6 and 7s do get plopped in some odd service locations and service types & seem to do them well. So i think they are better than just for metro style service in my opinion to be honest. Better at acceleration too. Only issue is some hardware & technical limitations prevent them from accelerating faster on AC. strange mechanical quirk if you ask me.

Is it possible that there is a diagram for /6s and /7s on the brighton to victoria runs available? I want to try and ride them. The acceleration profile on the newer 377s seems alot more consistent id love to track their GPS performance to 90mph on the faster mainlines. If you know of any timetabled slots that they do , that would be perfect.
i dont think they go to milton now (which is a big shame). Because they only now cut back into Watford Junction. The crowded sections really only is between the overground stations to Selhurt or something? I cant remember but during peak its PACKED.