• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driving for Metrolink

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpc

I have just been offered a job as a trainee driver for Metrolink to start in the next couple of weeks, im really looking forward to starting and after many years on the buses im ready for a change, a new challenge and hopefully i will love it.
Has anyone else on here made the jump from buses to trams and were you happy with the decision?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Well done mate, there's a lot of ex busmen at Metrolink, who will tell you it was well worth the switch, especially for the money.

Get ready for some even earlier starts and even later finishes. The course is down to 7 weeks now - although it's a lot to take in, the shorter timeframe means the training is more enjoyable.

Chances are, if you're on here you'll already have at least a basic understanding of the job, useful during training :P

Moonshot

Established Member
well done.....from what I here, its a great job, defo beats the 9-5 tedium

beavercreek

Lots of ex bus drivers work at Metrolink and are more than happy.It proved a good stepping stone for myself and other drivers recently who are. Ow drivers on the heavy rail.

tpc

yeah there does seem to be quite a few i know of some myself that left my depot, i should have done it years ago really, have tried for train driving twice in the last 2 years, one knockback from northern at application stage but passed assessments with first tpe though didnt get through to next stage. Im not using this as a stepping stone though because i feel like i may be happy at Metrolink, the staff there seem to have good morale.

Status
Not open for further replies.