• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dual Door Buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth

Established Member
Hi there,

just want to share a few thoughts/ramblings on buses that have doors both by the driver and in the middle; sometimes even with yet another door at the back, or, indeed, several on articulated buses.

As a young kid, I wasn't even aware that dual door buses were a thing. All the buses in Liverpool were then (and are) single door. As the driver takes the fare, this seemed innately obvious and I gave little thought to it. Then, in the mid-nineties, Merseybus/MTL bought a whole load of second hand Leyland Titans from London. These were weird foreign things to me; the seating arrangement on the lower deck, the decor and of course, the extra set of doors. They even retained their all-red colour for quite a while. This door was kept out of use and I never saw it it in operation on any of them. There were usually signs saying "Doors Not In Use". I thought a middle door was weird. I wondered how it worked exactly and what stopped people bunking on. MTL even went to the trouble of having these doors removed eventually.

I've since used dual door buses in both London and abroad. In practice they seem to work perfectly well. Indeed, after living in Hong Kong for a short while I got so accustomed to them that it actually felt weird going all the way to the front of the bus to get off, when I came back to the UK.

A lot of people cite dual door buses as an example of London exceptionalism. That may be the case in the UK, but in the world as a whole, it's actually most of the UK that is unusual. Almost everywhere else I've been in the world, dual door buses are standard; and not just in big cities or on high capacity routes. Even quite small settlements which only have an hourly service and midi-buses still tend to have the second set of doors.

So my main query is: why is this the case? The big difference between London and the rest of the UK is that London has some control on the specification of bus services and so can mandate things like dual door vehicles. The rest of the UK is deregulated. This is actually pretty rare outside the UK and bus services in much of the world are either run by municipal corporations or at least have a some sort of franchising system. But whilst there seems to be a parallel between the UK (sans London) being deregulated and the prevalence of single door buses, I'm not sure deregulation can be the sole reason. For example, Liverpool had dual door buses (inclduing Leyland Atlanteans and the likes) but seemed to be phasing them out by the mid-70s; pretty much as soon as conductors were removed. But we're talking over a decade before deregulation and the PTE could've insisted on dual door buses if it wanted to. Evidently, they felt two sets of doors were now no longer necessary or perhaps even undesirable. Now, post-deregulation, the private bus operators could use dual door buses if they felt like it, even if the local authorities didn't approve but they generally don't. It seems the big companies who have both London and non-London operations go to the trouble of removing the door when cascading mid-life London vehicles. As such companies wouldn't go to such trouble and expense without deeming it absolutely necessary, they must feel dual door is absolutely a no-no for their services outside London. But like I said, it's the norm in much of the world so what are the specific local conditions that make dual door buses a negative in most of the UK?

I suppose the other question naturally is: which do you think is better? Does it even make much of a difference one way or the other? I must say I quite like dual door buses. I like the separation of those getting on and off, which helps during busy times. I'd certainly like to see a trial on some of the biggest routes here (i.e. 10, 86) but at the same time, it's probably not the biggest issue of the day and I cope well enough with the status quo.

Finally, I know the odd town/city outside of London has seen trials of dual door buses in recent years. I think Reading & Brighton are a couple. Anyone local to these areas know how these trails went and if they're still ongoing? I may as well point out here that Arriva cascaded some of its bendy buses, which had been expelled from London, to Liverpool to work the specially branded Airport 500 bus. I never got to go on one of these and I have no idea how the fare collection worked and even if any of the doors were in use other than the front ones. They disappeared after a couple of years, so were clearly not deemed a success; although articulated buses are quite a different beast to dual door standard length buses.

Sorry for the rambling post but it's a curious topic for me.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Probably for the same reason we persist with the 1980s technology of having to negotiate and conclude a cash transaction each time someone boards - the UK bus industry is hopelessly conservative and won't risk anything (e.g. a few fare dodgers boarding at the rear or a few quid lost on a flat fare system) even if it's costing them a fortune in higher PVR having each stop take a minute or two[1] instead of the 10-20 seconds it should take (and does take in London).

That said, the benefit a second door provides depends on the route. If you are running from the suburbs to the bus station, then the same in reverse, it's probably minimal as at any given point people will tend to be boarding *or* alighting. If operating cross-city as is increasingly the case, you could save several minutes by having a second door.

FWIW, with the technology to do low-floor throughout with independent suspension and electric transmission, I think the *best* layout is one door at the front and one all the way at the rear rather than the centre - there is then no disincentive to "move along the bus" which tends to result in single door buses leaving people behind as they are crowded out at the front and nobody will move back for fear of being unable to alight.

[1] At *least*. It used to amuse me that Oxford Road Magic Buses used to take maybe 10-15 minutes to board at the city centre and each of the three university stops - if they'd managed to lop that out by taking the cash off the bus they could have saved at least one, probably two or even three, buses on the PVR.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
Lothian got rid of there second doors because of the scams with people claiming the bus driver traped them in the doors and drove away.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Other places to use dual door vehicles include Southampton (Go Ahead's university routes) and Cardiff where articulated buses are used.

Brighton's trial resulted in an order, again for university routes.

The idea of door at either end never really caught on. The prototype Enviro 200s had these.

Gareth

Established Member
Probably for the same reason we persist with the 1980s technology of having to negotiate and conclude a cash transaction each time someone boards - the UK bus industry is hopelessly conservative and won't risk anything (e.g. a few fare dodgers boarding at the rear or a few quid lost on a flat fare system) even if it's costing them a fortune in higher PVR having each stop take a minute or two[1] instead of the 10-20 seconds it should take (and does take in London).

That said, the benefit a second door provides depends on the route. If you are running from the suburbs to the bus station, then the same in reverse, it's probably minimal as at any given point people will tend to be boarding *or* alighting. If operating cross-city as is increasingly the case, you could save several minutes by having a second door.

FWIW, with the technology to do low-floor throughout with independent suspension and electric transmission, I think the *best* layout is one door at the front and one all the way at the rear rather than the centre - there is then no disincentive to "move along the bus" which tends to result in single door buses leaving people behind as they are crowded out at the front and nobody will move back for fear of being unable to alight.

[1] At *least*. It used to amuse me that Oxford Road Magic Buses used to take maybe 10-15 minutes to board at the city centre and each of the three university stops - if they'd managed to lop that out by taking the cash off the bus they could have saved at least one, probably two or even three, buses on the PVR.

You're probably on to something with regards to the bus industry being conservative. After all, with deregulation, why take risks with altering what already works? That said, fare collection by the driver is still pretty common throughout the world and yet far more often than not, the buses are dual door. In Hong Kong, you don't technically pay the driver but there is a fare box and a smart card (Octopus) reader at the front and the driver makes sure you pay. Most people use Octopus but cash is still accepted. However, it's thrown into a box and then a confirmatory 'beep' sounds, like when using the Octopus card. No change is given though, so the driver doesn't handle any cash. So boarding is still usually fairly quick even with a cash payment.

Yes, I would imagine dual door buses are more beneficial for high capacity routes but with the benefits being more marginal on quieter roads. That said, on my forays into small continental European cities, the dual door tends to be present regardless; whilst here it's not present even on routes as insanely busy as the 86A. With London being both near-universally dual door and having strict rules on how old the buses can be, it is surprising that you don't see dual door buses appear in the rest of the UK. Instead, the operators go to the trouble of converting them to single door. So they must feel strongly about it. If London was deregulated, I wonder if we'd see dual door buses phased out there too.

Established Member
With regards to the Mercedes-Benz articulated buses operated on the 500, the only time I ever experienced the rear door being opened for alighting the bus was at Liverpool Airport. Along the rest of the route only the front doors were used for boarding and alighting.

6Gman

Established Member
Plenty of dual doors in the late 60s/ early 70s even in relatively small towns.

For example:

Most Crewe local services were converted to dual-door in 1971/72
The M22 Conwy - Colwyn Bay was converted at a similar time
In the mid-80s there were even dual-door minibuses in Devon!

The advantage was seen to be better passenger flow - passengers could board at the front without having to wait for passengers to alight.

BUT

The disadvantages were:

Lower capacity (on the Bristol REs you lost 5 seats, on the Leyland National 4 seats)
Safety - door distant from the driver made supervision more difficult
Fare evasion - potentially, though it doesn't seem to have been much of a problem back then
Structural - on some types there was a weakness in the body structure

Gareth

Established Member
Lothian got rid of there second doors because of the scams with people claiming the bus driver traped them in the doors and drove away.

Yeah, I remember reading about that. Still, what is it about folk of Lothian that either makes them different to those in London, Berlin or Sopot?

ChathillMan

Go North East tried them on the flagship 21 route. The infrastructure rendered them useless at most stops

Gareth

Established Member
With regards to the Mercedes-Benz articulated buses operated on the 500, the only time I ever experienced the rear door being opened for alighting the bus was at Liverpool Airport. Along the rest of the route only the front doors were used for boarding and alighting.

Thanks for the info. Seems pointless having articulated buses if you're going to use them like that. Do you know where they are now, by any chance? They're surely not old enough for the scrap heap.

Hophead

Established Member
Brighton's trial resulted in an order, again for university routes.

I'm afraid you are incorrect. The two-door buses are allocated to the 1/1A cross-town service (Whitehawk - Mile Oak). They were considered necessary to speed up the service (there is much boarding/alighting all the way from the County Hospital to Portslade). The company specified a low-height, despite there being no low bridges en-route (and no other vehicles in the fleet suffering this particular disadvantage): apparently to save weight.

Over the next couple of years the 7 & 49 will also be gaining dual-door buses.

As for the University routes: the 25 & 25X continue with the ex-London artics, albeit with the middle door removed. There is a one-way gate at the rear set of doors to discourage fare evaders. I imagine it can take a fair while to load up 140 students, although nearly all will be using a pre-paid ticket of some sort.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I remember when Articulated vehicles were used on Route 8 between Bolton and Manchester in the mid-2000s. Despite having an 'exit' door in the rear half of the bus, almost all passengers still walked all the way to the front to alight, which wasted so much time. Mancunians never got their heads around what it was for...

If you rang the bell and waited at the rear, drivers would usually open the door, although a small minority (for whatever reason) point blank *refused* to allow use of the rear door.

Luckily they didn't last more than a couple of years, being rejects from Bury depot and first in their batch, meaning they broke down left, right and centre.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The shift away from dual-doored buses is a relatively recent thing. I lived in Aberdeen throughout the 90s and most of the Grampian fleet was so equipped. There was a swing to single-deck vehicles towards the end of the decade, and the only vehicles ordered with dual-doors were the artics (K1GRT actually had 3). I moved to Edinburgh in 2001 and dual-door operation was still standard on Lothian buses then.

Tayside used dual-door vehicles up until the late 80s, and Glasgow Corporation/GGPTE had converted to single-door operation much earlier than that.

I don't think I've ever witnessed anyone trying to board through the central exit, so I would imagine that revenue protection wasn't that big a factor. The odd fare-dodger is certainly far less costly than a few claims for getting trapped in the doors, though.

Andyh82

Established Member
In West Yorks whereas Leeds still bought dual door buses nobody else did, so from 1974 when WYPTE was created all new buses were single door. The last Leeds dual door buses lasted until 1993 I believe.

Dual door buses can't work in ever common pull in/reverse out bus stations, something they don't have in London.

Gareth

Established Member
Dual door buses can't work in ever common pull in/reverse out bus stations, something they don't have in London.

Why's that?

Now I come to think of it, I don't tend to see those sort of bus stops abroad either.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Odd to see that in the UK! Near enough all German buses have dual doors, and that includes minibuses. I have a feeling a second exit may actually be a legal requirement.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Why's that?

Now I come to think of it, I don't tend to see those sort of bus stops abroad either.

They can, you just need the bays spaced out a little more and longer "platforms".

But as the terminus is unlikely to have a need to board and alight at the same time, I don't see an issue with simply not using the rear doors at the terminus. It's not a reason not to have them.

They can - you just don't use the rear door at that location! Doesn't stop you using it elsewhere.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

When Preston Bus Station (the largest bus station in Europe) opened in 1969 it coincided with the introduction of dual-door Leyland Panther buses by Preston Corporation. Every bay in the bus station was pull in/reverse out, so I'm afraid your thesis is not borne out.

Gareth

Established Member
They can - you just don't use the rear door at that location! Doesn't stop you using it elsewhere.

I think I misread Andy's post. I though he was referring to bus stops where the bus pulls in rather than just stops in the lane.

Surely you can't at bus terminals because said terminals have been designed with single door in mind. If Liverpool had kept dual door buses then Queens Square and L1 would've been designed differently.

Like you say, selective door opening could easily solve it but it would be preferable to redesign such bus stations in the longer term, if dual door was to become commonplace. I do think people would appreciate the consistency of always using the same doors to alight and tourists may be caught out. I suppose recorded announcements will soon make it to these parts, in which case, a "please use the front doors only, middle doors will not open here" announcement may help.

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Round here there's quite a few bus stops where the bus sticks out into the active lane because the bus stops aren't big enough for the larger buses used. They can get the door (which is at the front only) upto the kerb. If they had a second door people would have to step down onto the road then up onto the kerb

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In West Yorks whereas Leeds still bought dual door buses nobody else did, so from 1974 when WYPTE was created all new buses were single door. The last Leeds dual door buses lasted until 1993 I believe.

I remember dual-door fleetlines in Huddersfield when I was little, they were always a bit of a bonus for my brother and I when one turned up. They ran on the 357 service to Quarmby so did use the bus station. Pretty sure they'd all gone by the time of deregulation though. HJC had some Leyland Titans with dual doors during the 1990s but I'm not sure if the rear doors were used. There was an ex-London Dart, still in red, on the Dewsbury Free Town Bus in October, but the rear door was messily taped up with gaffer tape!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Gents

The real reasons why bus companies moved away from dual door operation:

Safety - there was a notable incident (think it was Birmingham) where a passenger was trapped in the exit door as the vehicle pulled away (as visibility from driver was impaired)
Cost - additional cost to purchase and maintain
Capacity - for example, a dual door National would lose 6 seats
Bus stop and bus station design - for reasons already noted
Unions - some instances of unions not accepting dual door vehicles (though it was the 1970s - they'd have not accepted blue destination blinds on principle)
Lack of flexibility - useful on intensive urban routes but less so if you wish to cascade to the provinces

The latter explains why ex London deckers are not popular in dual door format. Not only do you lose a load of space with the straight staircase but you also lose on the bottom deck. Instead of a decker seating perhaps 75 or more for schools work, you get one that seats 63 so you may as well have a dedicated single deck coach with 3+2 seating.

plarailfan

Dublin bus did have some dual door Olympians in the early 2000's but yet the Hong Kong style, Volvo tri-axles have only a single entrance / exit door https://www.flickr.com/photos/41294...HXr-8zjfhe-8zj7fk-73DC9v-73DBUR-6RvztP-6Rvz6Z
Back in the early 1970's my local NBC "Yorkshire Woollen" got a number of brand new, dual door Leyland Nationals, then promptly changed their mind and had them converted to single door ! Needless to say, photo's of them in dual door condition are very hard to come by.
I think in cities such as Leeds and Manchester, all buses should be dual door and I don't understand why unnecessary £ pounds are spent making ex London buses into single door. they always look a bit odd somehow besides losing their practical and functional purpose to speed up the flow of passengers.
The Dewsbury ex London Dart, that was running the free town bus service, seems to have disappeared which is a shame. It still had all the "London" notices and signage inside as well ! https://www.flickr.com/photos/41294...3pM-Jaq3oH-JWCcWq-JYTdte-pgyt9j-pxSxmn-edpDS7

AB93

I think in cities such as Leeds and Manchester, all buses should be dual door and I don't understand why unnecessary £ pounds are spent making ex London buses into single door. they always look a bit odd somehow besides losing their practical and functional purpose to speed up the flow of passengers.

The only slight problem being that Metro have banned dual door buses from Leeds bus station, following a fatal accident.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Like you say, selective door opening could easily solve it but it would be preferable to redesign such bus stations in the longer term, if dual door was to become commonplace. I do think people would appreciate the consistency of always using the same doors to alight and tourists may be caught out. I suppose recorded announcements will soon make it to these parts, in which case, a "please use the front doors only, middle doors will not open here" announcement may help.

Or the driver announces it manually. (Why is it that the UK has never really gone with PA on buses? Near enough all German buses have it and have had for years. London buses have it, but it's near never used manually).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

See my comments above your post. The cost of the conversion is relatively small in comparison to the advantages of not servicing doors, capacity etc.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Dewsbury ex London Dart, that was running the free town bus service, seems to have disappeared which is a shame. It still had all the "London" notices and signage inside as well ! https://www.flickr.com/photos/41294...3pM-Jaq3oH-JWCcWq-JYTdte-pgyt9j-pxSxmn-edpDS7

Well, that's a fine example of how to make a bus service look utterly rubbish, isn't it?

- Blind not properly wound to blank
- Number blind not properly aligned so there is a lit gap
- Livery and seat covers from elsewhere
- A4 destination on which they couldn't even be bothered to write "Dewsbury Free Bus" out in full...
Round here there's quite a few bus stops where the bus sticks out into the active lane because the bus stops aren't big enough for the larger buses used. They can get the door (which is at the front only) upto the kerb. If they had a second door people would have to step down onto the road then up onto the kerb

This seems to happen very often whether there is one or two doors, largely because of a lack of proper design of infrastructure and enforcement of parking around it, but also because some bus drivers, particularly in London, are quite lazy and don't pull up properly to the kerb even when they can. (Others do, so it must be possible).

(That said, talking of London, I think it used to be the case that the Big Red Book told them to pull up a foot from the kerb - it now doesn't, probably because of increased use of "high platform" stops)

Last edited:

Gareth

Established Member
See my comments above your post. The cost of the conversion is relatively small in comparison to the advantages of not servicing doors, capacity etc.

Maybe but why are these advantages only applicable to the UK outwith London? What unique conditions exist that don't in most of the rest of the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.