• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The first catenary and contact wires pass under this bridge with no obvious special design or build required:

View attachment 126476View attachment 126477
If you zoom in on your first picture you will see that the contact wire is not in it's final position and the arm it secures to is strapped up. In the position it's currently in a pantograph would not be able to pass along safely without contacting the arm. This is also the situation with the contact wire at the Bridge at Crossmyloof. Having driven over the route last week several times it looks as if they will need to lower the track under both bridges to allow sufficient clearance.

Nottingham59

Established Member
If you zoom in on your first picture you will see that the contact wire is not in it's final position and the arm it secures to is strapped up. In the position it's currently in a pantograph would not be able to pass along safely without contacting the arm. This is also the situation with the contact wire at the Bridge at Crossmyloof. Having driven over the route last week several times it looks as if they will need to lower the track under both bridges to allow sufficient clearance.
I'd be very surprised if they put the wires up if any track lowering were still needed.

Looking at the reduced length of the nearest dropper in the second image, I'd guess the plan is to run a standard catenary through there, but with masts close to the bridge on each side, so that the catenary sags less and the cables have less scope for movement.

In the first image, I think they've strapped the contact wire up to the catenary, so it looks like one wire, and the steady arm up to its support. Presumably to temporarily keep them out of the way. Why, I don't know: perhaps a component was missing for some reason.

Southsider

Would that also require lowering the platforms at Crossmyloof? I haven’t heard that in the plans.

OB23Gone

This SHOULD READ 6th - 9th
Whilst out today 1/1/23
Masts & Gantries are now Covering Muirhouse Central Junction to White Cart Bridge at Shaws West.
Pic 1):- 1st Gantry From Central - Last From Barrhead as seen from Darnley Street at Day Nursery Pic 2):- From Albert Drive / Pollokshields East Station viewing Muirhouse Central Junction. Would imagine there will be a lot of intricate installation work will require to be carried out here. Almost the beginning and end of Cathcart Circle can be seen in this view
The liftout was scheduled for this morning, Sunday, 2am and everything was inplace ready to go. Unfortunately the wind exceeded the safety limit so job stopped. Looking at weather forecast looking good for coming Monday morning.

This is a 'work in progress', and yes, you are correct that the arms at either end of the run are strapped up pending further work. I will be surprised if track lowering is needed at either of these bridges. The Titwood Road over bridge adjacent to Crossmyloof Station was built in 2006 to the standards current at that time and so it *should* be good for electrification.

The liftout was scheduled for this morning, Sunday, 2am and everything was inplace ready to go. Unfortunately the wind exceeded the safety limit so job stopped. Looking at weather forecast looking good for coming Monday morning.
The liftout was done early this morning. It seems that the bridge was cut-up and removed in the most efficient manner and so I assume that there were no takers from the heritage sector.
Darnley Road bridge 4.jpg

Milkboy

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but the line between Central and Crossmyloof is closed again this weekend - I assume for the latest phase of electrification work.

That being so, it seems odd - at least to those not 'in the know' (e.g. me) - that replacement buses are operating all the way between Glasgow and Dumfries.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SR444 GBK.pdf

Central-Barrhead/EK I can understand. Central-Kilmarnock even, given track capacity (is it even possible to reverse trains at Barrhead?). But I'm curious about the closure all the way to Dumfries. Lack of stabling/reversing capacity elsewhere?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
is it even possible to reverse trains at Barrhead?
Yes, outside of using the bay, given that the line singles south of Barrhead you can just run south from 1, stop, reverse and then get signalled into 2.

Last edited:

sannox

Yes, outside of using the bay, given that the line singles south of Barrhead you can just run south from 3, stop, reverse and then get signalled into 2.

Is 3 not they bay platform. I think there are signals the the north end of all platforms, so think you can run into the Kilmarnock bound platform from the south but not sure!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Is 3 not they bay platform. I think there are signals the the north end of all platforms, so think you can run into the Kilmarnock bound platform from the south but not sure!
Yes, sorry.

1 is the Southbound through,
2 is the Northbound through,
3 is the bay.

I'll go back and fix that.

Milkboy

Yes, sorry.

1 is the Southbound through,
2 is the Northbound through,
3 is the bay.

I'll go back and fix that.
Apologies for not being clearer in previous post - I meant to ask whether it was possible to reverse from northbound to southbound at Barrhead.

That was incidental to my query though - I simply guessed that capacity constraints on the single line section south of Barrhead might make it impractical (or even impossible) to run services between Barrhead and Kilmarnock, even though this weekend's work is between Central and Crossmyloof.

Is there a lack of capacity at e.g. Kilmarnock which would prevent, for example, trains running between Kilmarnock and Dumfries this weekend? There must be a fair bit of traffic (though I accept 'fair' is a relative term on the G&SW) between, say, Auchinleck/New Cumnock and Kilmarnock, or Kirkconnel/Sanquhar and Dumfries.

If I was a punter seeking to make that kind of journey, I'd be a bit miffed at there being no trains because of engineering work that is taking place entirely within the Glasgow city boundary.

Just curious to know if there's a logistical issue that prevents any trains running north of Dumfries this weekend, despite the location of the works.

Falcon1200

Established Member
IIRC both through platforms at Barrhead can be used in either direction (and at one time all Sunday trains used the Down line, Platform 2, as 1 was inaccessible due to the booking office being closed).

MadMac

IIRC both through platforms at Barrhead can be used in either direction (and at one time all Sunday trains used the Down line, Platform 2, as 1 was inaccessible due to the booking office being closed).
Correct. That was shown in the 1974 “opening notice”. I’d surmise that it was associated with the singling of the line.

Apologies for not being clearer in previous post - I meant to ask whether it was possible to reverse from northbound to southbound at Barrhead.

That was incidental to my query though - I simply guessed that capacity constraints on the single line section south of Barrhead might make it impractical (or even impossible) to run services between Barrhead and Kilmarnock, even though this weekend's work is between Central and Crossmyloof.

Is there a lack of capacity at e.g. Kilmarnock which would prevent, for example, trains running between Kilmarnock and Dumfries this weekend? There must be a fair bit of traffic (though I accept 'fair' is a relative term on the G&SW) between, say, Auchinleck/New Cumnock and Kilmarnock, or Kirkconnel/Sanquhar and Dumfries.

If I was a punter seeking to make that kind of journey, I'd be a bit miffed at there being no trains because of engineering work that is taking place entirely within the Glasgow city boundary.

Just curious to know if there's a logistical issue that prevents any trains running north of Dumfries this weekend, despite the location of the works.
Is there perhaps other work going on further south?

Last edited:

OB23Gone

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but the line between Central and Crossmyloof is closed again this weekend - I assume for the latest phase of electrification work.

That being so, it seems odd - at least to those not 'in the know' (e.g. me) - that replacement buses are operating all the way between Glasgow and Dumfries.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SR444 GBK.pdf

Central-Barrhead/EK I can understand. Central-Kilmarnock even, given track capacity (is it even possible to reverse trains at Barrhead?). But I'm curious about the closure all the way to Dumfries. Lack of stabling/reversing capacity elsewhere?
The blockade this weekend will see All the wiring around Muirhouse Central Junction installed and continued out to as far at least as Haggs Road. Not sure if perhaps it is intended to go as far as the White Cart just before Shaws West. SPL Powerlines Zeck Wiring unit will be being used in conjunction with other Road Rail Vehicles.
2 Small over bridges will also be demolished
1 is between the Priesthill & Darnley Station Pedestrian Foot Bridge and Nitshill Station positioned on Cleeves Quadrant at the end of the Cutting
2 is a small OB between Redwood Dr and where the New Hairmyres Station is too be built

snowball

Established Member

2 is a small OB between Redwood Dr and where the New Hairmyres Station is too be built

That sounds very significant as it's the first physical work I've heard of on the EK branch, except veg clearance for site investigations in 2020.

Southsider

Work to start on repositioned Hairmyres Station to start sometime in March
Is there any information on what’s happening with East Kilbride station? My understanding is that a second platform is required to release capacity at Central.

The blockade this weekend will see All the wiring around Muirhouse Central Junction installed and continued out to as far at least as Haggs Road. Not sure if perhaps it is intended to go as far as the White Cart just before Shaws West. SPL Powerlines Zeck Wiring unit will be being used in conjunction with other Road Rail Vehicles.
1 is between the Priesthill & Darnley Station Pedestrian Foot Bridge and Nitshill Station positioned on Cleeves Quadrant at the end of the Cutting
I received a neighbour notification letter from Network Rail - they plan line side vegetation management between Crossmyloof and Barrhead from Saturday 14th January until Thursday 19th January between 00:15 and 06:00.

Has a detailed planning application been made?
The only planning application I have seen recently is this one to East Renfrewshire Council:
2022/0546/LBC
Viaduct Salterland Road Barrhead East Renfrewshire
Installation of wall brackets and OLE portals to railway bridge.
Approved Subject to Conditions
Approved Mon 28 Nov 2022

This viaduct has a category B listing which might be why an application was necessary.

I doubt that the existing East Kilbride station has a listing!

clc

Established Member
I had a look on the council’s planning portal but couldn’t find an application for the new Hairmyers station. I can’t see how work could start without planning permission.

gingertom

Established Member
I had a look on the council’s planning portal but couldn’t find an application for the new Hairmyers station. I can’t see how work could start without planning permission.
Perhaps a new track layout incorporating a 2-platform station can happen within railway land for electrification purposes, and the station itself can happen whenever? When it comes down to it this could be simply extending the existing passing loop.

Notice posted in the New Notice case at work stating the new OHLE will be live from Muirhouse to just outside Crossmyloof after this weekend's blockade.

OB23Gone

Notice posted in the New Notice case at work stating the new OHLE will be live from Muirhouse to just outside Crossmyloof after this weekend's blockade.
Should be ready. Some pics of today's work. Also noticed a great amount of new rail drop at Muirhouse and Crossmyloof Station.

Attachments

• 1)  Muirhouse Central Junction    DSC_0638.jpg
    1) Muirhouse Central Junction DSC_0638.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 2) Passing 1m 513 Yds from Central Access Point AP DSC_0591 (1).jpg
    2) Passing 1m 513 Yds from Central Access Point AP DSC_0591 (1).jpg
    804 KB · Views: 110
  • 3) Passing The Site Of The Old Moray Place Overbrridge  DSC_0606 (1).jpg
    3) Passing The Site Of The Old Moray Place Overbrridge DSC_0606 (1).jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 4) Just Passing Darnley Rd RRAP  (Compound)   DSC_0627.jpg
    4) Just Passing Darnley Rd RRAP (Compound) DSC_0627.jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 5) Just Short of Crossmyloof Station at the Bridge    DSC_0630.jpg
    5) Just Short of Crossmyloof Station at the Bridge DSC_0630.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 6) Wiring Train From Crossmyloof    DSC_0645.jpg
    6) Wiring Train From Crossmyloof DSC_0645.jpg
    805 KB · Views: 118
  • 7) Everyone Deserves a Tea Break Before Going To Muirhouse Central  The RRV Team At Darnlet Ro...jpg
    7) Everyone Deserves a Tea Break Before Going To Muirhouse Central The RRV Team At Darnlet Ro...jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 118