• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

Zootee

Can’t quite see whether this is covered elsewhere in the thread, but I drove back from Bicester along the route between Calvert and Winslow and saw that signalling was in the process of being installed and tested.

This was just outside of Verney Junction

Attachments

• IMG_5760.jpeg
    IMG_5760.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Can’t quite see whether this is covered elsewhere in the thread, but I drove back from Bicester along the route between Calvert and Winslow and saw that signalling was in the process of being installed and tested.

This was just outside of Verney Junction

That’s a good spot, thanks for posting. Post #1347 by @Elecman just over a week ago had reported the signalling power supplies were live, so it must be moving on now.

Last edited:

fishwomp

That’s a good spot, thanks for posting. Post #1347 by @Elecman just over a week ago had reported the signalling power supplies were live, so it must be moving on now.
I visited Calvert (west of the HS2 overbridge) and Launton yesterday - signals in place and showing reds.

There is still no track on the HS2 overbridge.

There was a track machine and small rail mounted mobile trolley at Launton, also two rails in between the running rails there (at the overbridge) suggesting some intent to remove existing rail and use that nearby?!

I also noticed that mileposts are installed - nice touch, seems a bit old fashioned given GPS has rendered them not necessary, surely?

12LDA28C

Established Member
There was a track machine and small rail mounted mobile trolley at Launton, also two rails in between the running rails there (at the overbridge) suggesting some intent to remove existing rail and use that nearby?!

If these were on the bridge itself I suggest these would be guard rails.

I also noticed that mileposts are installed - nice touch, seems a bit old fashioned given GPS has rendered them not necessary, surely?

Mileposts are certainly necessary. How else would a driver identify where their train was when reporting their location to the signaller, or determine for example when they had walked a mile and a quarter to lay emergency protection?

fishwomp

If these were on the bridge itself I suggest these would be guard rails.
They're not - they are not anchored, and the road bridges go over the line there (Launton).

Mileposts are certainly necessary. How else would a driver identify where their train was when reporting their location to the signaller,
Surely this is automatic these days, some location information in the cab-signaller Comms? That's what could be done, just don't know if it has been.
or determine for example when they had walked a mile and a quarter to lay emergency protection?
The driver's mobile phone is a better source of accurate location than running forward up to 1 mile looking for a milepost (they are not always quarter mile apart). Technology exists, and could even be provided that was more guaranteed than a mobile and its battery!

12LDA28C

Established Member
Surely this is automatic these days, some location information in the cab-signaller Comms? That's what could be done, just don't know if it has been.

Not to my knowledge although DAS gives mileage information, where fitted and when it's working.

The driver's mobile phone is a better source of accurate location than running forward up to 1 mile looking for a milepost (they are not always quarter mile apart). Technology exists, and could even be provided that was more guaranteed than a mobile and its battery!

Not every TOC issues drivers with mobile phones and of those that don't, many expressly forbid use of personal phones whilst on duty apart from in a few clearly defined exceptional circumstances.

Mileposts are a universally recognised means of identifying locations and if a driver is called by the signaller and told to examine the line in the vicinity of 39m 60ch due to sheep on the line for example, chances are that mileposts will be used by the driver to identify that location. You might think it's old-fashioned but it works.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
They're not - they are not anchored, and the road bridges go over the line there (Launton).

Mile posts every 20 chains or quarter of a mile.

fishwomp

The driver's mobile phone should be switched off while the train is in motion!
Yes indeed. But if the driver is running up the track and working out if he has run the relevant distance, I really hope the train is not in motion!!

The actual point is that there are devices that are more immediate and precise than yellow sticks a quarter mile or whole mile apart - and I thought that there is enough tech in a train these days to know it.. including the "we will shortly be arriving at" notifications.. clearly GPS is on board somewhere!!!

Mr. SW

Mileposts are legally required under the Railways Clauses Consolidation Act 1845 Section 94

Milestones.​

The company shall cause the length of the railway to be measured, and milestones, posts, or other conspicuous objects to be set up and maintained along the whole line thereof, at the distance of one quarter of a mile from each other, with numbers or marks inscribed thereon denoting such distances.

This is one of the references I've found. There may be others.

Neen Sollars

Not the best quality You Tube drone action from DronePix but better than nothing. Winslow Station. Perhaps the focus on the waste area because it is going to be a car park?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not the best quality You Tube drone action from DronePix but better than nothing. Winslow Station. Perhaps the focus on the waste area because it is going to be a car park?
I saw somewhere they were starting piling works earlier this month as it’s to be a two deck carpark structure, but I haven’t seen a detailed diagram showing its exact position. The TWA approved drawings didn’t include the main surface building, only the platforms, lifts and footbridge etc.

Update, having another search there’s a video fly through that does show it’s the broadly triangular site to the west of the station building:

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I saw somewhere they were starting piling works earlier this month as it’s to be a two deck carpark structure, but I haven’t seen a detailed diagram showing its exact position. The TWA approved drawings didn’t include the main surface building, only the platforms, lifts and footbridge etc.
Hope it's been specced to last longer than the top decks at Haddenham & Thame Parkway and Bicester North!

Snow1964

Established Member
I think having them was added to a Railways Act about 150 years ago. No doubt someone on here will know Rail laws and regulations and quote exactly the appropriate law / rule

12LDA28C

Established Member
Yes indeed. But if the driver is running up the track and working out if he has run the relevant distance, I really hope the train is not in motion!!

The actual point is that there are devices that are more immediate and precise than yellow sticks a quarter mile or whole mile apart - and I thought that there is enough tech in a train these days to know it.. including the "we will shortly be arriving at" notifications.. clearly GPS is on board somewhere!!!

Again, if a driver is no longer in the train and is walking a mile and a quarter to lay emergency protection, hey will certainly be using mileposts to measure the required distance.

Mileposts are used all the time by drivers, signallers and controllers to identify locations. I once told the signaller that there was a tree blocking the line at the entrance to a well-known tunnel and was asked for the mileage at the location.

Hope it's been specced to last longer than the top decks at Haddenham & Thame Parkway and Bicester North!
The parish council...sorry...Town Council, demanded the car park have a capacity in excess of that provided at Guildford. One assumes they weren't genuinely surprised to have that demand politely rebutted.

Dr A.Johnston

It's been quite for a short while hear while great progress is being made on the construction work. We begin with a Picture update with photos from Phil Marsh vis his X site.

Thanks, Phil fantastic pictures.

Calvert interface area as of 29th November 2023. View from the new Addison Road and EWR over HS2 bridges - Phil Marsh @Marshrail

Picture 2.jpg

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

Picture 4.jpg

Picture 5.jpg

Calvert interface area today. View from the new Addison Road and EWR over HS2 bridges - 29 Nov - Phil Marsh @Marshrail

Picture 7.jpg

picture 6.jpg

Picture 8.jpg

more to follow

continued

1701990315426.jpegPicture 9.jpg

And finally, from the HS2 YouTube channel, below is a video that shows what's left of Calvert station and the bridge, the EWR status. This video also answers some of the continual questions of Freight on the EWR line before and after the current target opening date.

Enjoy the pictures, more next weekend.

Attachments

• Picture 8.jpg
    Picture 8.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
And finally, from the HS2 YouTube channel, below is a video that shows what's left of Calvert station and the bridge, the EWR status. This video also answers some of the continual questions of Freight on the EWR line before and after the current target opening date.
BIB - unless I missed it that video didn't mention anything specific about operations on EWR.
On that question though - and this is not an answer but my hunch - we could see ad hic freight over the line very quickly after it is opened to traffic, and quicker than passenger services. Freight will still need driver training, but they don't need to get a whole service quantum trained like the passenger service will, so it could be very quick especially if simulator training takes place before a confirmation live run.

Dr A.Johnston

BIB - unless I missed it that video didn't mention anything specific about operations on EWR.
On that question though - and this is not an answer but my hunch - we could see ad hic freight over the line very quickly after it is opened to traffic, and quicker than passenger services. Freight will still need driver training, but they don't need to get a whole service quantum trained like the passenger service will, so it could be very quick especially if simulator training takes place before a confirmation live run.
Yep you sure did miss it. But perhaps it is the perception of the word freight. If your thinking of commercial paths then not for some time that's for sure, but as discussed in other HS2 meetings the plan has always been for the rail head to be built in earnest and construction deliveries and waste material removal will be by rail via EWR rather than the limiting method by road, this does not need EWR to be in commercial public operation. This will continue for a number of years until HS2 is completed, then revert to general maintenance via the new depot at Claydon.

Via a third-party source from a recent HS2 public meeting, I did not attend a colleague reported that it was suggested that the Aylesbury link reinstatement is targeted for the 3rd/4th quarter of 2025, when bridges and track bed formations are completed where HS2 and the link line run in parallel. But at the pace things are changing around Calvert and the new railhead enabling enhanced construction it's plausible that this could happen - But from my point of view, I'll keep it at let's see for now.

Check the video again at around the 55 second mark.

Have a good weekend.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Yep you sure did miss it. But perhaps it is the perception of the word freight. If your thinking of commercial paths then not for some time that's for sure, but as discussed in other HS2 meetings the plan has always been for the rail head to be built in earnest and construction deliveries and waste material removal will be by rail via EWR rather than the limiting method by road, this does not need EWR to be in commercial public operation. This will continue for a number of years until HS2 is completed, then revert to general maintenance via the new depot at Claydon.

Check the video again at around the 55 second mark.

Have a good weekend.
Yes - a difference of definition. HS2 bringing materials into site are engineering trains to me, but can absolutely see why some would call it freight. Under your more general definition then EWR has been seeing 'freight' trains for months as they've been bringing in track and ballast by rail.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'd argue material for HS2 construction and maintenance would count as revenue freight when it runs on NR, because it's not related to maintaining the NR network itself. Having said that, are bulk movements of engineering materials and even delivery of same to worksites charged and treated as revenue freight anyway? I recall in the early days of privatisation Railtrack picked up the bill for transit of materials from where the contractor had purchased them to where they were needed, which led to contractors sourcing ballast from very distant but very cheap quarries.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Via a third-party source from a recent HS2 public meeting, I did not attend a colleague reported that it was suggested that the Aylesbury link reinstatement is targeted for the 3rd/4th quarter of 2025, when bridges and track bed formations are completed where HS2 and the link line run in parallel. But at the pace things are changing around Calvert and the new railhead enabling enhanced construction it's plausible that this could happen - But from my point of view, I'll keep it at let's see for now.

It should be noted that this is not the 'Aylesbury Link' as in the spur from EWR to the existing (but currently lifted) line from Aylesbury to Claydon to enable trains to run from Aylesbury to Milton Keynes, but merely the reinstatement of the freight-only route to the household waste facility at Calvert.