• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eastleigh Happenings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestWestern

Established Member
Plenty going on at Eastleigh works, as always. In particular, does anybody have any gen on -

Tatty green Bubble Car.

Green Class 73 fitted with vertical light clusters, looks as though it might have some sort of 'official' works/departmental function. Hovering outside the sheds looking as though it might be busy, looked to be in a similar shade of green to the ex-EMU barrier train.

Blue, knackered looking ED that was sat on accomodation bogies round the back a week or so ago - possibly acquired by GBRf etc?

66081, which has been dumped in the siding down the Botley road side of the building for some time, boxed in by the usual resident de-icers.

Just curious! Cheers all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Matt Taylor

Established Member
66081 is one of the Class 66s that Gbrf bought from DBS a few months ago, will most likely become 66790.

fgwrich

Established Member
Plenty going on at Eastleigh works, as always. In particular, does anybody have any gen on -

Tatty green Bubble Car.

Green Class 73 fitted with vertical light clusters, looks as though it might have some sort of 'official' works/departmental function. Hovering outside the sheds looking as though it might be busy, looked to be in a similar shade of green to the ex-EMU barrier train.

Blue, knackered looking ED that was sat on accomodation bogies round the back a week or so ago - possibly acquired by GBRf etc?

66081, which has been dumped in the siding down the Botley road side of the building for some time, boxed in by the usual resident de-icers.

Just curious! Cheers all.

If you were heading down in the Portsmouth direction today we might have been on the same service. Right;

The (ugly) 73 is 73133 which has moved up from Bournemouth Depot. It's painted in a non standard shade of Green and is owned by a company called 'Transmart Trains' who used to own 73136 as well. It was used to shunt stock (namely 455s) around Bournemouth depot but has recent received some attention in Eastleigh and I thin may now be shunting up there now.

The other tatty BR Electric Blue 73 is GBRf owned 73110 - Formerly preserved up at the GCRN at Ruddington, it was bought by GBRf last year. I think it's future may be unclear at the moment, as it's been providing some spares to keep the 73/0 fleet running and may depend on if GBRf retain the contract to supply it's 73/9s to NR - In which case extra 73/9s may be converted.

The Tatty green Bubble Car will be one third of the Swanage Railways Class 117 - I think this car may have been considered as too far gone and appears to be providing spares. I may be wrong and it may be refurbished later on but the ex Reggie Rail / NSE set that has been refurbished (and will be deep inside the works at the moment) may be replacing it.

66081 I think is awaiting it's turn in the printshop - Arlington have always been a busy company. It was left parked upon with either one of it's cab windows open or missing earlier so whether or not it's going to be worked on first im not sure. But it'll be returning shortly.

57302 was also sat around the back of the works today receiving some attention - I believe that one has come down from storage in Cumbria recently?

trainmania100

Established Member
Don't get why they don't use the 73/1s for test trains any more it's a shame that if they convert more to /9 there won't be that many left

Southern Dvr

Noticed 73133 shunting some Mark 1s around Eastleigh around December time. Not that ugly and it’s always nice to have a one off in the ranks! 133 was repainted at Selhurst circa 2009/2010 went to Barry Island for a while, then Bomo and now Eastleigh.

As for not using 73/1s on test trains, why would you if you have more powerful and greener 73/9s available? We’re lucky to have any EDs out there any more!

BestWestern

Established Member
If you were heading down in the Portsmouth direction today we might have been on the same service. Right;

The (ugly) 73 is 73133 which has moved up from Bournemouth Depot. It's painted in a non standard shade of Green and is owned by a company called 'Transmart Trains' who used to own 73136 as well. It was used to shunt stock (namely 455s) around Bournemouth depot but has recent received some attention in Eastleigh and I thin may now be shunting up there now.

The other tatty BR Electric Blue 73 is GBRf owned 73110 - Formerly preserved up at the GCRN at Ruddington, it was bought by GBRf last year. I think it's future may be unclear at the moment, as it's been providing some spares to keep the 73/0 fleet running and may depend on if GBRf retain the contract to supply it's 73/9s to NR - In which case extra 73/9s may be converted.

The Tatty green Bubble Car will be one third of the Swanage Railways Class 117 - I think this car may have been considered as too far gone and appears to be providing spares. I may be wrong and it may be refurbished later on but the ex Reggie Rail / NSE set that has been refurbished (and will be deep inside the works at the moment) may be replacing it.

66081 I think is awaiting it's turn in the printshop - Arlington have always been a busy company. It was left parked upon with either one of it's cab windows open or missing earlier so whether or not it's going to be worked on first im not sure. But it'll be returning shortly.

57302 was also sat around the back of the works today receiving some attention - I believe that one has come down from storage in Cumbria recently?

Ah, not a Bubble then! Thanks for the info chaps :)

The 66 has now vanished, presumably into the shops, 47812 has materialised in roughly the same spot. Are the de-icers still in use by the way? Can't tell whether they're stored until winter or stored until scrapping!

Southern Dvr

Ah, not a Bubble then! Thanks for the info chaps :)

The 66 has now vanished, presumably into the shops, 47812 has materialised in roughly the same spot. Are the de-icers still in use by the way? Can't tell whether they're stored until winter or stored until scrapping!

The old Gatwick Luggage Vans which were converted to De-icers are now stored out of use. They were replaced by 73s on the SITT trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.