• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML South Diverts 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meglodon 5

Hi there

Does anyone know the dates of the ECML divert next January/February. I'm pretty sure that the 22nd/23rd is one of the weekends, but would like some confirmation

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Weekends 08/01, 09/01, 15/01, 16/01, 22/01 and 23/01 via Cambridge (non-stop).

Weekends 29/01, 30/01, 05/02, 06/02, 12/02 and 13/02 via Durham Coast Line (most of not all services picking up at Northallerton, non-stop after until Newcastle)

Weekends 19/02, 20/02, 26/02, 27/02, 05/03, 06/03, 12/03, 13/03, 19/03, 20/03, 26/03 and 27/03 via Leeds (stopping for pathing but not picking up or setting down).

Not sure if Cambridge divert is electrified, but Durham Coast and Leeds divert both aren’t electrified so Lumo won’t run presumably, even though they’re still in the timetable on some days.

TheBigD

Established Member
Peterborough to Ely isn't electrified. The Azumas run on diesel between Peterborough and Royston area*.

Lumo won't be running on the diversionary route. I'd expect a similar arrangement to the Joint Line diversions changing on to Hull Trains at some point.

* someone will post the exact location.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Lumo won't be running on the diversionary route. I'd expect a similar arrangement to the Joint Line diversions changing on to Hull Trains at some point.
Lumo running just Newcastle to Edinburgh for the weeks with the Newcastle to Darlington block - nothing further south.

Nothing shown for the weeks with a York to Doncaster block.

(Of course, even if they had suitable units, they wouldn't get paths on any diversionary route due to there not being capacity for them.)

Galvanize

Peterborough to Ely isn't electrified. The Azumas run on diesel between Peterborough and Royston area*.

* someone will post the exact location.
Littlington. Just before the Level Crossing between Ashwell & Morden and Royston, Auto changeover point from AC to Diesel Power for 80x stock.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Weekends 19/02, 20/02, 26/02, 27/02, 05/03, 06/03, 12/03, 13/03, 19/03, 20/03, 26/03 and 27/03 via Leeds (stopping for pathing but not picking up or setting down).

That is a lot of engineering works in the early part of next year between Doncaster & York (I assume as the Azumas are going via Leeds)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On 20/03 this train is an oddity:
I suspect it won't actually run... unless the engineering work is complete by then?

It seems to be the only train from London to York after the 1852 (which appears to be overtaken) so I suspect the timetable may be incomplete for that day.

That is a lot of engineering works in the early part of next year between Doncaster & York (I assume as the Azumas are going via Leeds)
Yes; gone are the good old days of diversions via Askern & Knottingley (which is a shorter route and was done in just under 40 minutes)

Last edited:

midland1

Thanks for the info on the ECML diverts, got the ones via March now marked in one my calendar. :D

The Planner

Veteran Member
A lot of it is for Durham S&C renewal. The southern bits for the digital programme.

Paul Duck

5/6 February & 12/13 February no trains at all at Northallerton. Possible work on the subway and lifts so no access to platforms.
LNER, GC along with the Redcar TPE services will divert round the 'back' at Northallerton and off via Durham Coast.

_toommm_

Established Member
5/6 February & 12/13 February no trains at all at Northallerton. Possible work on the subway and lifts so no access to platforms.
LNER, GC along with the Redcar TPE services will divert round the 'back' at Northallerton and off via Durham Coast.

Do any services currently go that way around at Northallerton, or is it just freight that use the dive-under to avoid conflicts?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Any Hertford Nth diversions due
The last southbound train from Edinburgh is scheduled to go via Hertford North at 0057 this week.

Then all day on Sunday 20 February and the following five Sundays from then.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The new LNER Middlesbrough services are booked that way, as is the 13:36 Manchester Airport to Redcar Central (1P77) on Sundays.
IIRC before it was pulled the various ECML future timetables in the recent consultation included a number of trains skipping Northallerton via the low level line.

robbeech

Established Member
(Of course, even if they had suitable units, they wouldn't get paths on any diversionary route due to there not being capacity for them.)
Slightly OT perhaps but do Lumo drivers / guards sign smaller diverts like via Hertford North / Cuffley etc.
what about platforms at stations they don’t call at, how does that work with them, for example will they sign through p4 at Grantham and p2 at Retford p8 at Doncaster etc, are those sorts of moves something they have to do or just read about ?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Slightly OT perhaps but do Lumo drivers / guards sign smaller diverts like via Hertford North / Cuffley etc.
If they don't already, they must be learning it. 1E88 (which will become the new last Edinburgh-London service, departing at 19:58) is booked to run via Hertford North.

I don't think there are any other diversionary routes, apart from HLB at Newcastle, that are electrified and which they could therefore run over.

BTW they don't have guards in the 'rulebook' sense and I don't think the Customer Ambassadors (or whatever they're called this week) receive formal route knowledge training :)

what about platforms at stations they don’t call at, how does that work with them, for example will they sign through p4 at Grantham and p2 at Retford p8 at Doncaster etc, are those sorts of moves something they have to do or just read about ?
You don't need to actually drive into every platform at a given station to sign it. Though some larger stations are divided into sections, and you might only sign part of it. Drivers can request refresher training (or more realistically, videos/materials) if they're feeling rusty on rarer parts of stations.

Meglodon 5

Thanks everyone.

Littlington. Just before the Level Crossing between Ashwell & Morden and Royston, Auto changeover point from AC to Diesel Power for 80x stock.
Why don't they just changeover in Ely? it would make so much more sense, as they could stay under AC for longer. Also, can't the 80x stock change power source while moving?

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
Thanks everyone.

Why don't they just changeover in Ely? it would make so much more sense, as they could stay under AC for longer. Also, can't the 80x stock change power source while moving?

They can change on the move, however I believe Network Rail only allow it if the OHLE in that area has been specifically strengthened.

TheBigD

Established Member
Thanks everyone.

A test run back in 2019 (I think) saw 2 X 5 car bimodes run from Doncaster to Peterborough, were they were split, then ran separately to Ely. At Ely they put the pantographs up, Ely panel at Cambridge Powerbox lit up like a Christmas tree. The pantographs were then lowered, further test cancelled, and the units returned to Doncaster 5 hours early.

The same tests would have also taken the units up to Downham Market (don't know why).

David Bullock

No strengthening, just increased observation.
I was on an Azuma about a week ago which was stuck on diesel from Harrogate through to Retford. We changed to electric at Retford but had to slow to a crawl in order to do so, not a complete stop though.

Established Member
I was on an Azuma about a week ago which was stuck on diesel from Harrogate through to Retford. We changed to electric at Retford but had to slow to a crawl in order to do so, not a complete stop though.
20mph in areas where they wouldn't normally change over.

greyman42

Established Member
The OHLE in the Retford area is prone to mishaps at the best of times.

Established Member
The OHLE in the Retford area is prone to mishaps at the best of times.
Its been power supply problems from the national grid causing the issues between Doncaster and Retford. Limiting to 5 electric trains per hour through the area. Any bimodes would operate in diesel through the affected area.

BahrainLad

Looking at timings for a Saturday / Sunday trip KX-Newcastle early next year, and *every* weekend in January, February and March shows extended journey times of 4h+ in both directions. Is there any site that shows the details of what this is all about in one place? I have checked LNER‘s site and it’s pretty useless for looking this far ahead, and National Rail requires you to check each date individually which isn’t ideal.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Looking at timings for a Saturday / Sunday trip KX-Newcastle early next year, and *every* weekend in January, February and March shows extended journey times of 4h+ in both directions. Is there any site that shows the details of what this is all about in one place? I have checked LNER‘s site and it’s pretty useless for looking this far ahead, and National Rail requires you to check each date individually which isn’t ideal.
Not really. There are different engineering works most weekends, and Jan-March is simply the time of year that these things tend to get done on the ECML.

Status
Not open for further replies.