• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT Sunday Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro4600

I've been taking the EMT service between Chesterfield and St Pancras for work most of this year. Traveling down south on a Sunday afternoon then back up north on a Friday evening. The Friday services that leave five to the hour always take about 2 hrs. But I can never get to grips with the Sunday services. Last Sunday was around 2 hours, the ones this Sunday are showing as over 3!!
Can anyone shed any light on why these Sunday services are so different?
I've checked nr website for engineering work but not spotted any thing on this route. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mr Spock

From Leicester the train appears to reverse and go via Melton Mowbray and Corby to Kettering.

OwlMan

Established Member
From Leicester the train appears to reverse and go via Melton Mowbray and Corby to Kettering.

Yes the direct route is closed on Sundays from 15 September to 20 October, all trains being diverted via Melton Mowbray & Corby. It doesn't show on National Rail as it is a planned closure and there is no change to the published timetables.

Last edited:

pjnathanail

Yes the direct route is closed on Sundays from 15 September to 20 October, all trains being diverted via Melton Mowbray & Corby. It doesn't show on National Rail as it is a planned closure and there is no change to the published timetables.

Excellent, didn't realise that!
I'm booked on the 1610 STP-NOT this Sunday so I will have a nice trip round the loop.

Good to see they are stopping them at Corby to give them a service-could they perhaps have called at Melton Mowbray too?

Mugby

Established Member
EMT's London services on Sundays are pretty abysmal at the best of times.

Not one fast train until after 4pm at least!

Tomnick

Established Member
Excellent, didn't realise that!
I'm booked on the 1610 STP-NOT this Sunday so I will have a nice trip round the loop.

Good to see they are stopping them at Corby to give them a service-could they perhaps have called at Melton Mowbray too?
They'll be stopping at Corby as a replacement for the normal Corby service (there isn't enough space on the single line to continue running that as a dedicated service in addition to the diversions). There's no such issue at Melton, which isn't normally served anyway - stopping there would just serve to further lengthen journey times (especially with the short platform) and generally make life more difficult!

Diversions via Manton are a regular feature on Sundays at this time of year - at least you'll all benefit from the remodelled junction there this time ;) .

Diversions via Manton are a regular feature on Sundays at this time of year - at least you'll all benefit from the remodelled junction there this time ;) .

They were still major works going on their last Thursday - lets hope they have the track sorted before Sunday!

Tomnick

Established Member
There was a block on the branch all last week - normal service has resumed this week though!

dk1

Veteran Member
EMT's London services on Sundays are pretty abysmal at the best of times.

Not one fast train until after 4pm at least!

Never understand why they have Summer only trains on Sundays on the Norwich route when it's just as busy in Winter with Uni etc. seem to be one of the few TOCs to continue this archaic plan. Maybe something to do with the volunteer overtime on Sundays they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.