• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Enviro 400 mmc interior colours

Silent

Would anyone know a reason why Metroline Enviro 400 MMCs are two tones, using grey plastic and then blue plastic? I have always thought that it doesn’t look as nice as just blue plastic being used or just one colour being used.

For example, the RATP interior, I think goes well with the Enviro 400MMC because the plastic panels are all grey.

The previous generation of Enviro interiors didn’t use this two tone approach.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

H&I

Would anyone know a reason why Metroline Enviro 400 MMCs are two tones, using grey plastic and then blue plastic? I have always thought that it doesn’t look as nice as just blue plastic being used or just one colour being used.

For example, the RATP interior, I think goes well with the Enviro 400MMC because the plastic panels are all grey.

The previous generation of Enviro interiors didn’t use this two tone approach.

Perhaps someone thought that the interior would be too blue otherwise. Having said that, Metroline have also chosen blue for the window frames inside and red on the outside, whereas they are usually grey inside and black outside.

Silent

This seems to be with all Enviro mmc’s though. The 1st gen would use blue panels and plastic casing rather than blue and grey. I would post a picture soon. I’m thinking it must be something to do with the way it’s manufactured.

H&I

This seems to be with all Enviro mmc’s though. The 1st gen would use blue panels and plastic casing rather than blue and grey. I would post a picture soon. I’m thinking it must be something to do with the way it’s manufactured.
Enviro400 MMCs, with other operators, have panels in different colours, though. The operator specifies this, and it has nothing to do with the manufacturing process.

Silent

Look at the examples. It all seems to be grey plastic and then the colour the operator chooses.

1709964517104.jpeg1709964517104.jpeg

1709964570342.jpeg

Even in this video

It’s like it’s not an option to have parts of the bus interior in a different colour to grey.

I haven’t seen Metroline add grey panels to their Gemini 3's for example.

Last edited:

H&I

The Enviro400 MMC buses on Transdev’s X43 Witchway route have got all-black panelling around the staircase rather than grey.

Pacerman99

I vaguely remember reading in 'Buses' back in 2014 that some interior panels would be standardised in grey across the MMC range, presumably to take advantage of any economies of scale that would entail. Hence why early Stagecoach (beachball) examples have grey/white roofing despite the interior standard not being changed since pre-MMC as @Silent notes.

H&I

I vaguely remember reading in 'Buses' back in 2014 that some interior panels would be standardised in grey across the MMC range, presumably to take advantage of any economies of scale that would entail. Hence why early Stagecoach (beachball) examples have grey/white roofing despite the interior standard not being changed since pre-MMC as @Silent notes.
The grey standard colour is an option many operators choose to lower costs. However, operators can customise their panelling if they wish to do so, as noted in the Transdev examples.