• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar 05:40 London-Paris withdrawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I have been looking at journeys from London to Paris and it would seem that from May the 05:40 to Paris is ceasing to run.
Is this permanent move by Eurostar, I have not caught that service before so I am not sure how well loaded it is, but the information on it`s withdrawal seems to be non-existent, I cannot find any information on their website is still being shown in the PDF timetable on the webpage.
Thanks in advance.
Sam

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Camden

Established Member
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...ist-attacks-cheap-train-tickets-a7429466.html
On the day that Eurostar begins selling its cheapest-ever one-way tickets, it emerged that the cross-Channel train operator is to slash services from London to Brussels this winter.

From January, Eurostar will cut 20 trains each week between the British and Belgian capitals. On weekdays, there will be only seven daily departures in each direction, rather than the current nine.

Last month The Independent revealed that Eurostar planned to axe one departure in 12 because of falling demand between London, Paris and Brussels.

It now appears that the Belgian capital will take the brunt of the cuts...
(So much for those confident predictions of passenger numbers made over a decade ago).

Last edited by a moderator:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I catch the 0540 when I go away and it is usually pretty well loaded. They would be crazy to get rid of it.

Edit: having said that, the 0540 is still listed as running on 13th March.

Last edited:

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
It's worth pointing out at this juncture that the higher capacity of the e320 units means that Eurostar will be providing more seats per day than previously, even though the number of services is being reduced slightly.

dk1

Veteran Member
Unlike domestic rail I tend to find the majority of Eurostar passengers are train specific rather than walk on almost treating it like an airline. Gaps in the service tend to be less noticeable.

TheEdge

Established Member
Unlike domestic rail I tend to find the majority of Eurostar passengers are train specific rather than walk on almost treating it like an airline. Gaps in the service tend to be less noticeable.

I must admit I just booked Eurostar tickets and didn't treat them like a train, I did approach it like flights. I looked for the Eurostar services and then fitted everything else in around them, never dawned on me to treat them as a train.

button_boxer

Established Member
If they're going to cull any services this seems a very odd one to remove, as it's the only service that gets you to Paris before 10am. At the very least they ought to keep it on Mondays for the "weekly commute" passengers (out on Monday morning and back on Friday).

Joe Paxton

Established Member
The 0540 St Pancras to Paris appears in journey searches I've just done in May, June, July and August. I don't think it's going anywhere. (Well it is... but you know what I mean!)

Hophead

Established Member
The Eurostar timetable PDF is valid until 27th May and shows the 05:40 (9080) running M-F throughout.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Interesting that is contrary to what I have got. (See attachment)
Sam

OK just seems to be that Monday (8 May).

I've checked and the 0540 is showing on the previous Thursday and Friday (4th & 5th), and on the following Tuesday and Wednesday (9th & 10th).

I'd guess the 0540 isn't running that Monday because of engineering works somewhere. (FWIW it also doesn't show up on the DB planner for that Monday.)

Last edited:

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
OK just seems to be that Monday (8 May).

I've checked and the 0540 is showing on the previous Thursday and Friday (4th & 5th), and on the following Tuesday and Wednesday (9th & 10th).

I'd guess the 0540 isn't running that Monday because of engineering works somewhere. (FWIW it also doesn't show up on the DB planner for that Monday.)

Indeed you are correct!
It seems that I need not look thoroughly enough last night. :oops:
The lack of information about it not running on that date does not seem to be available, but I guess it does not need to as Eurostar does not have to worry about turn up on the day passengers like other TOCs do.
Sam

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Often there's information about such cancellations on the eurostar4agents website (aimed at travel agents), but I can't find anything about this.

It would be far preferable if the regular Eurostar website had a simple page which detailed any such changes. Otherwise regulars who might well want to catch it (especially as it'd normally be the first Paris arrival of the working week) end up wondering where it's disappeared to.

Veteran Member
Is it a public holiday in France? Monday timetables are often slightly different on those days.

It is, being the anniversary of VE day, and the alteration appears in the winter ERT.
The 0540 doesn't run on French public holidays.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Aha, that explains it!

I did check a UK calendar just in case for some unfathomable reason the May Day bank holiday might actually happening on the 9th not the 2nd, and saw it was Liberation Day on the Channel Islands, but didn't put 2+2 together!

dk1

Veteran Member
£25 is cheaper than the new 'Priv' single fare for Eurostar. Only difference I suppose is that the priv rate is fully flexible up to the time of departure.

bspahh

Established Member
£25 is cheaper than the new 'Priv' single fare for Eurostar. Only difference I suppose is that the priv rate is fully flexible up to the time of departure.

... and that with a Snap ticket you get to pick the day and "morning" or "afternoon" for the time, so you could end up on the 5.40am train.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Oh that's not so good at all then.

Eurostar Snap is also only an occasional offer (this might be the third time they've run it?).

Today is the last day one can take advantage of the current Snap offer...

On sale from 31.01.2017 to 07.02.2017 inclusive for Journeys from 07.02.2017 to 28.02.2017 inclusive. Reservations must be made at least 7 days before departure. 9,000 single tickets available in total.

Status
Not open for further replies.