• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurovision 2024 discussion.

birchesgreen

Established Member
You could argue i suppose that banning the Russian people from western culture (so to speak) helps Putin as it reinforces the "everyone is against us" drivel Putin likes to spout. Though its hard to have two countries in a contest literally at war with each other.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Honestly I don't believe for a second that Israel would suddenly change it's policy towards Palestine simply because they were chucked out of Eurovision.
Nobody is suggesting that. But there should be wider sanctions on Israel similar to South Africa (a state which was a little less reliant on western approval!).

Sanctions and the cultural boycott formed part of perhaps a dozen reasons apartheid was dismantled under the old regime. Getting Israel to change its own policies will take multiple fronts too.

They should not have been at Eurovision.

MotCO

Established Member
Given that the UK came second overall (and 5th in the public vote) a mere two years ago,
And given that Ukraine probably got a sympathy vote in the public vote, without which, we could have come first.

Am I alone in thinking that Olly Alexander could not sing - I believe he usually relies on Autotune which is (rightly) banned in this competition. His voice was weak, and you could hardly hear the words, and the production was distracting (maybe that was deliberate?). To win in future we need someone with a good voice, someone who can tour Europe beforehand to whip up interest in our song, and a decent song.

(Olly is not the only one who could not sing - does anyone remember Jemini a few years back singing off-key and blaming feedback in their ears (sabotage anyone :lol:), and I think they also got 'nul points'.

takno

Established Member
Am I alone in thinking that Olly Alexander could not sing - I believe he usually relies on Autotune which is (rightly) banned in this competition. His voice was weak, and you could hardly hear the words, and the production was distracting (maybe that was deliberate?). To win in future we need someone with a good voice, someone who can tour Europe beforehand to whip up interest in our song, and a decent song.

(Olly is not the only one who could not sing - does anyone remember Jemini a few years back singing off-key and blaming feedback in their ears (sabotage anyone :lol:), and I think they also got 'nul points'.
It's possible he couldn't sing very well on the night. His normal stuff certainly doesn't sound auto-tuned, and he's done plenty of live singing before without issues. He's a talented if slightly annoying singer who had an indifferent song, awful staging, and probably wasn't really feeling it on the night.

lachlan

And given that Ukraine probably got a sympathy vote in the public vote, without which, we could have come first.

The singing felt rather weak compared to Sam Ryder, that's for sure.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Am I alone in thinking that Olly Alexander could not sing
No, it isn’t just you. I thought the same when he did the “honorary” performance at the first semifinal on Tuesday too, it started off sounding incredibly out of tune.

birchesgreen

Established Member
No, it isn’t just you. I thought the same when he did the “honorary” performance at the first semifinal on Tuesday too, it started off sounding incredibly out of tune.
Yes i thought the visuals weren't bad (though easily forgettable compared to the others) but the singing was very weak.

island

Veteran Member
It was said online in some places that his in-ear monitors malfunctioned or the radio pack for them fell off or something, so it's possible he couldn't hear the backing track well or at all.

JamesT

Established Member
It was said online in some places that his in-ear monitors malfunctioned or the radio pack for them fell off or something, so it's possible he couldn't hear the backing track well or at all.
That was the semi-final, the pack for his radio mike fell off so he had to finish holding it in his hands.

dosxuk

Established Member
His normal stuff certainly doesn't sound auto-tuned

Literally everyone uses auto-tune these days - when you actually hear auto-tune at work, it's because somebody has wanted it to sound that way and cranked up the settings. Used with it's default settings it's basically inaudible, other than it makes even an average singer able to hit every note.

and he's done plenty of live singing before without issues.

He has always been a weak live singer, even back when Years & Years were starting out - relying on catchy pop tunes and energetic performances to reduce the impact. It's only really when you put him up against a bunch of people who can actually sing while dancing that he falls short.

island

Veteran Member
That was the semi-final, the pack for his radio mike fell off so he had to finish holding it in his hands.
Yes, we are talking about the semi-final. It was misreported as a microphone pack in some media; hand-held microphones don't require a body-worn pack as they communicate directly with a base station.

sannox

I thought the UK song was meh. Nothing special and didn't really rate it. I can see how the juries liked some elements, but if it was another nation I wouldn't have phoned in to vote for it.

BBC article that someone linked is fair - good artist but just not the right mix and I could see why some people would be put off by the performance.

Djgr

Established Member
I thought the UK song was meh. Nothing special and didn't really rate it. I can see how the juries liked some elements, but if it was another nation I wouldn't have phoned in to vote for it.

BBC article that someone linked is fair - good artist but just not the right mix and I could see why some people would be put off by the performance.
Certainly the "experts" who choose the UK entry should be let go.

takno

Established Member
He has always been a weak live singer, even back when Years & Years were starting out - relying on catchy pop tunes and energetic performances to reduce the impact. It's only really when you put him up against a bunch of people who can actually sing while dancing that he falls short.
Fair enough. I've never much enjoyed it, but he's never seemed noticeably bad. I've never been especially engaged with whether singers hit all the notes though.

I suspect that, this year in particular, it's a struggle to find anybody really good at live performance who is interested in putting up with Eurovision. We've worked so hard to crush our venues and live music scene so few artists have as much experience, and failing to agree a deal with Europe on performers means that even fewer have any experience of international audiences.

Eurovision itself, is a huge time commitment, with a high probability that the exposure won't generate a great deal of value to the artist. The added pressure this year from the whole Israel and Netherlands controversies won't have it seem more appealing.

JamesT

Established Member
Certainly the "experts" who choose the UK entry should be let go.
Apparently it was an internal job by BBC Music this year. The last few years they've partnered with production companies. But the same company managed to pick Sam Ryder (2nd) and Mae Muller (25th).

Djgr

Established Member
Apparently it was an internal job by BBC Music this year. The last few years they've partnered with production companies. But the same company managed to pick Sam Ryder (2nd) and Mae Muller (25th).
So nul points to BBC Music...!

Energy

Established Member
So nul points to BBC Music...!
They still did better than last year...
TaP management did those 2 years, originally it was an only 1 year deal that got extended after the first year's success. Last year suffered from a boring song, forgettable/non-existant staging, and a performer who didn't have the vocal strength on stage.
I suspect that, this year in particular, it's a struggle to find anybody really good at live performance who is interested in putting up with Eurovision. We've worked so hard to crush our venues and live music scene so few artists have as much experience, and failing to agree a deal with Europe on performers means that even fewer have any experience of international audiences.

Eurovision itself, is a huge time commitment, with a high probability that the exposure won't generate a great deal of value to the artist. The added pressure this year from the whole Israel and Netherlands controversies won't have it seem more appealing.
It's a lot of work but can rocket careers, as it did for Maneskin.