• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston to Manchester fare challenge - Tuesday 7 Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
I want to do Euston to Manchester return next Tuesday 7 Feb. Outward definitely on the 0753, return just when done, sometime mid/late afternoon.

Our corporate travel agent quoted £510, caused a certain apoplexy to our beancounters, which I soon diagnosed was a first class (not required, not asked for) open return.

So, the challenge is, quite simply, what's the cheapest fare combination we can come up with, on the direct Avanti service ...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
Hmm, I don't see an 07:53 looking at Trainsplit, but that's probably because it's priced at £161.90 (!!) when you look at NRE.

In which case, £161.90 advance outbound, plus something between £50 and £60 for the return leg (also advance) might be a decent bet.

Edit: found some splits in Post #4.

HQkcRAdb.png

Last edited:
If you require flexible tickets, which don't restrict the return journey to a specific train, the standard class peak ticket is £369.40.

As MrJeeves says, there's a number of cheaper option's if you're willing to use advance tickets, and there's also the cheaper (but longer routes) if travelling via Sheffield or when using LNW/TfW services.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230203-201358.jpg
    Screenshot_20230203-201358.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 15

MrJeeves

Established Member
Managed to force Trainsplit to get the 07:53.

1675455556852.png

Here's your best combination for the outbound leg, totalling £131.30. I'd recommend you pop on the split ticket finder to pick your cheapest combination for the return leg: https://tickets.railforums.co.uk/

Here's some prices it gives me for splits. Second image shows cheaper but longer journeys.

For a completely flexible return leg, I'd recommend Manchester Piccadilly to Euston off-peak single. Splitting for your return leg will only save £1.27, so it's not really worth it.

1675455716488.png
1675455724351.png

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Simply buying singles (Anytime out and Offpeak back) gets it down to just over £250, and booking an Advance outward knocks it down to £230.

Beyond that, you'd need to split at MKC or Rugby. Because of the competition withv
LNR (who are the fare setter), and a more competitive Advance, the MKC split knocks another £40 or so off to about £190.
I see Mr Jeeves has beaten be by another £7.

I haven't checked return splits but I doubt there's anything to be gained as the Avanti Offpeak fares are relatively cheap, and you need flexibility.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Standard class Anytime Single Euston -> Manchester is £184.70 for the Northbound leg, Off Peak Single £68.60 on the way back South.

However, as the 0753 Avanti calls at Rugby, you could split the Northbound journey to Anytime Single Euston -> Rugby at £74.90 together with an Off Peak Single Rugby -> Manchester at £41.30. Train has to stop at Rugby.

Total £184.80 there and back.

MrJeeves

Established Member
However, as the 0753 Avanti calls at Rugby, you could split the Northbound journey to Anytime Single Euston -> Rugby at £74.90 together with an Off Peak Single Rugby -> Manchester at £41.30. Train has to stop at Rugby.
The train is pick-up only at Rugby, so you can't split there, by my understanding as your first split leg wouldn't be valid as the train doesn't stop to "let you off" there.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The train is pick-up only at Rugby, so you can't split there, by my understanding as your first split leg wouldn't be valid as the train doesn't stop to "let you off" there.
Good spot. Annoyingly, some (not all) Avanti Northbound trains are pick up only at Rugby. That's one of them.

Taunton

Established Member
Well done so far, all. I don't think I can expect an (expert, apparently) travel agent to be into splitting, but interesting what it can achieve. 263.30 seems a "standard" approach, Anytime Outwards, Off Peak back, unrestricted return time, which is the sort of figure I would expect. I guess "off peak" from Manchester is any time after 10 am, including evening peak.

Still interested in the all-time lowest!

danm14

I guess "off peak" from Manchester is any time after 10 am.
The £68.60 Off Peak Single from Manchester to London is valid on any train arriving in Euston at or after 11:30am (i.e. the 9:35am departure from Manchester Piccadilly onwards) on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

This ticket is valid on any train on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.

_toommm_

Established Member
Well done so far, all. I don't think I can expect an (expert, apparently) travel agent to be into splitting, but interesting what it can achieve. 263.30 seems a "standard" approach, Anytime Outwards, Off Peak back, unrestricted return time, which is the sort of figure I would expect. I guess "off peak" from Manchester is any time after 10 am, including evening peak.

Still interested in the all-time lowest!

The travel agents the company I used to work for flat out refused to book splits or even use the railcard I had. I always thought it was weird as I had the railcard already and saving 1/3 on every booking surely is better than buying expensive returns from Leeds to Birmingham.

andrewkeith5

Sounds like they need a new travel agent!
The travel agents the company I used to work for flat out refused to book splits or even use the railcard I had. I always thought it was weird as I had the railcard already and saving 1/3 on every booking surely is better than buying expensive returns from Leeds to Birmingham.

andythebrave

Corporate agents have a nasty habit of wanting to maximise their commission and should, generally, be avoided like the plague.

fandroid

Established Member
I want to do Euston to Manchester return next Tuesday 7 Feb. Outward definitely on the 0753, return just when done, sometime mid/late afternoon.

Our corporate travel agent quoted £510, caused a certain apoplexy to our beancounters, which I soon diagnosed was a first class (not required, not asked for) open return.

So, the challenge is, quite simply, what's the cheapest fare combination we can come up with, on the direct Avanti service ...
The simple rule on London to Manchester journeys is - if travelling out in peak time, always buy singles. If your return day/time is uncertain, buy the outward one only and wait until plans are known before buying the return leg. No-one should ever buy an Anytime Return, because even if circumstances force you to buy two Anytime Singles, (a fairly rare requirement) they won't cost more than the Return. From there on you can check out the ways of knocking more off the cost. And there's nothing to stop you trying to ticket split for both legs.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The travel company my wife used to have to book through always issued tickets to London with a Z1-6 Underground single, despite her having told them she already had a ticket that covered the Underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.