• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EVN no longer needed on new stock?

timbobean

Long time lurker here.

It seemed to be a rail standard not so long ago that any item of rolling stock had a GB number shown o. The body side, together with an European Vehicle Number (EVN). I note the new class 93 and a few other newish bits of stock do not show it. Is it no longer a requirement?

Picture is of a class 397 carriage from 2021, showing both the GB number and EVN underneath)

Attachments

• IMG_0860.jpeg
    IMG_0860.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 126
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carlisle

Established Member
Interesting, didn’t notice that. Another addition to the huge list of Brexit benefits :'(

Last edited:

The exile

Established Member
Interesting, didn’t notice that. Another addition to the huge list of Brexit benefits :'(
Not sure there was ever an EU requirement for any stock anywhere to carry an EVN if it remained entirely within national borders (as most GB stock naturally does). Just like the colour of passports….

Carlisle

Established Member
Ok thanks for that information, surprised there was no requirement for an EVN given all the EU compatibility regulations that had to be considered when planning electrification schemes for instance.

timbobean

So I found a Rail Standard at https://www.rssb.co.uk/-/media/Proj...rds/2021/11/18/10/23/RIS-2453-RST-Iss-2-1.pdf (you need a log on to view).

Paragraph 3.2.1 states that the:
“numbering rules in Appendix A shall be used for the allocation of a unique EVN for all locomotives and vehicles in fixed formation first registered in GB.”

It also says at paragraph 4.1.3 that “that display of the EVN on existing vehicles used only in domestic traffic is on a voluntary basis.”

So I guess that answers my question (mandatory on international vehicles BTW)

D7666

On this subject does anyone know the EVNs for Eurotunnel BoBoBo locomotives.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So I found a Rail Standard at https://www.rssb.co.uk/-/media/Proj...rds/2021/11/18/10/23/RIS-2453-RST-Iss-2-1.pdf (you need a log on to view).

Paragraph 3.2.1 states that the:
“numbering rules in Appendix A shall be used for the allocation of a unique EVN for all locomotives and vehicles in fixed formation first registered in GB.”

It also says at paragraph 4.1.3 that “that display of the EVN on existing vehicles used only in domestic traffic is on a voluntary basis.”

So I guess that answers my question (mandatory on international vehicles BTW)
I remember this being discussed when full EVNs first appeared on a relatively recent class of units, (ie within the last few years), and someone posted that the group standard had just been amended to require it - but you’ve obviously found the current standard still does not make it retrospectively mandatory.

I wonder if it ever was required, given that standards are regularly updated?

Edited to add that in this 2020 TOPS numbering thread, reporting about Sleeper Mk5’s someone quoted an RSSB news item from 2018 implying it had become normal:

Last edited:

On Moderation
On this subject does anyone know the EVNs for Eurotunnel BoBoBo locomotives.
It's a good question, and wondered myself, that I've never seen an answer to.

At one time Eurotunnel was allocated UIC railway/country code '69' (like SNCF was '87', BR '70' etc), but that was when individual railways had their own code before VKMs were introduced; so BLS in Switzerland was '63' but now runs with '85' codes and VKM CH-BLS. Not sure if Eurotunnel now falls under either '70' or '87' or still has its own code (GySEV is an oddity as it still runs some stock under '43' rather than '55' for Hungary or '81' for Austria, so there is a precedent).