• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

F1 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

LE Greys

Established Member
It sounds to me as though different parts of the rules might conflict with each other.

To go off on another tangent, here's a comparative exmple from the Laws of Cricket -
Law 10 - Preparation and Maintenanca of the Playing Area
3.Mowing
The pitch shall be mown on each day of the match on which play is expected to take place, if ground and weather conditions allow.
<SNIP>
8.Non-turf pitches
Wherever appropriate, the provisions set out in 1 to 7 shall apply.
Taken literally, that means that you have to mow an artifical pitch. :lol:
However, they stuck the words 'wherever appropriate' in there, so that means you don't have to.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Heinz57

Marussia test driver Maria De Villoter has been seriously injured during a test session at Duxford.

They were conducting straight line testing when the car struck a transport truck that was parked nearby. It struck at some force and she was unconsious in the car for a little while.

It was also her first time driving the car.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/7/13522.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ota-is-in-hospital-after-a-serious-crash.html

A further recent update on the F1 website does say she is consious in hospital, and is undergoing further tests

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/7/13525.html

On a further note, looking at the F1 homepage, we're set for a wet weather all weekend for practice, qualifiying and the race.

Any predictions/thoughts on the race ahead?

David

Established Member
The speculation is that she got caught out by the anti stall system, but that's all it is for now, speculation.

Anyway, news reports about her condition have been getting better all day, so hopefully she'll be able to make a full recovery.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It seems as though my previous comment was a bit premature, as Marussia have issued a statement about an hour ago with an update.
Further to the accident at Duxford Airfield yesterday involving the Marussia F1 Team Test Driver, Maria De Villota, the Team can now provide a further update on Maria’s medical condition.

Subsequent to yesterday’s official statements from the Marussia F1 Team, the surgical team at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge embarked on a lengthy procedure to address the serious head and facial injuries sustained by Maria in the accident. The operation began yesterday afternoon and she was in theatre until this morning. Maria remains in a critical but stable condition.

John Booth, Team Principal of the Marussia F1 Team, with the consent and support of Maria’s family, would like to give the following update, which provides as much detail as is possible at this time:

“Maria emerged from theatre at Addenbrooke’s Hospital this morning after a lengthy operation to address the serious head and facial injuries she received in the accident at Duxford Airfield yesterday.

“We are grateful for the medical attention that Maria has been receiving and her family would like to thank the Neurological and Plastics surgical teams. However it is with great sadness that I must report that, due to the injuries she sustained, Maria has lost her right eye.

“Maria’s care and the wellbeing of her family remain our priority at this time. Her family are at the hospital and we are doing everything possible to support them.

“We ask for everyone’s patience and understanding with regard to updates on Maria’s condition. We will provide further information when it is appropriate to do so and with consideration for her family.

“In the meantime, we would all like to take this opportunity to praise the emergency services at Duxford Airfield, who were on stand-by yesterday, as is usual procedure for a Formula One test.

“With regard to the accident, we have embarked on a very comprehensive analysis of what happened and this work continues for the moment.

“Finally, we have been overwhelmed by messages of support for Maria, her family and the Team and we would like to express our sincere gratitude for those.”

Very sad news indeed :(

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
It is sad news, but in the grand scheme of things it is also good news, in that she has only lost an eye.

Ivo

Established Member
Eddie Jordan "arrested for crimes against fashion", live on BBC1 :lol:

The BBC F1 coverage never fails to amuse. Obviously it was fake, but it was still a good laugh!

Darandio

Established Member
This is where the BBC coverage really excels over Sky, the filler coverage during the delay has been excellent, just as it was during Canada last year.

Bungle73

On Moderation
This is where the BBC coverage really excels over Sky, the filler coverage during the delay has been excellent, just as it was during Canada last year.

The Sky filler is good. Are the BBC still showing it?

Session will restart at 3:07.

GNER 91128

Brilliant from Alonso and great from Michael too!

Forza Ferrari!
ferrariflag2.gif

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member

Quite. Great in particular to hear the immortal "GO GO GO!!!!!" from Murray Walker :)

Well done to Alonso on breaking Ferrari's barren spell, and a good effort from Schumi also - what a prestigious row that would have been had Webber not split them (bad luck to Mark on getting to within less than .05 of a second of the pole and missing out).

Failed Unit

Established Member
Quite. Great in particular to hear the immortal "GO GO GO!!!!!" from Murray Walker :)

Well done to Alonso on breaking Ferrari's barren spell, and a good effort from Schumi also - what a prestigious row that would have been had Webber not split them (bad luck to Mark on getting to within less than .05 of a second of the pole and missing out).

Depends if you dislike Ferrari as much as i do. Then today is very disappointing.

Ivo

Established Member
I just hope that charlie and the safety car doesn't ruin what could be a cracking race.

If Canada last year is anything to go by their intervention may well only add to the drama! How do we know Button won't pull off something similar starting from the wrong half of the grid?

Lampshade

Established Member
Urgh, despise Ferrari <(

Makes you wonder if Alonso was in P1 and it was someone like Maldonado or Hulkenberg in the drop zone complaining on the radio, would they have been as quick to red flag Q2?

GNER 91128

Urgh, despise Ferrari <(

Makes you wonder if Alonso was in P1 and it was someone like Maldonado or Hulkenberg in the drop zone complaining on the radio, would they have been as quick to red flag Q2?

You missed hamilton, vettel and all the others not happy with the conditions then?

Lampshade

Established Member
You missed hamilton, vettel and all the others not happy with the conditions then?

I didn't say they'd made the wrong decision, just that perhaps they wouldn't have been as quick to red flag it if Ferrari were through; remember that the Ferrari drivers hadn't set fast times by this stage and Alonso had nearly binned it down Hangar Straight.

EDIT: And Alonso has escaped a penalty for setting his fastest Q2 time under yellows - tell me Hamilton would have been treated the same way and I'll show you a green dog.

Last edited:

Bungle73

On Moderation
I didn't say they'd made the wrong decision, just that perhaps they wouldn't have been as quick to red flag it if Ferrari were through; remember that the Ferrari drivers hadn't set fast times by this stage and Alonso had nearly binned it down Hangar Straight.
Quick? Then conditions were practically undrivable.

EDIT: And Alonso has escaped a penalty for setting his fastest Q2 time under yellows - tell me Hamilton would have been treated the same way and I'll show you a green dog.

It's not the lap time that matters, it's the sector time where the yellow flag area is. Alonso was able to demonstrate to the stewards that he lifted at the yellow flag area. Hence no penalty.

Heinz57

Dissapointed that Hamilton only got 8th. But still, its going to be a cracking race. It will be interesting to see how Button does starting from 18th. Specialy after that stunning drive in Canada last year.

Couldn't agree more, great filler coverage. Complete with the one and only Murray Walker!

I cheered when he did that :lol:

Bungle73

On Moderation
Unless one watched both the Sky and the BBC filler coverage how can one say which was better?

A lot of people having a moan at the organisers, as if all the rain we've had is Silverstone's fault.

GNER 91128

I haven't watche the BBC since F1 went to Sky.

Sky have got Alan McNish atm, standing in for davidson, I think they should keep him on when he's not driving, he's much better than ant in every respect.

McNish
worthy.gif

Audi R18
worthy.gif

DavidBrown

Having watched the BBC 'filler' earlier, and just seen the first bit of Sky's 'filler' on their re-run (though it was only the first 10 minutes or so), the BBC was the far more entertaining watch. Jake and Eddie looked to be on home turf when trying to find new content, interviews and points of interest, whereas Sky seemed obsessed with the SkyPad and Twitter.

That said, as I say I've only seen the first 10 minutes or so of Sky's filler so things could well have changed (we won't be able to see the whole lot back now), and I do much prefer Croft and Brundle in the commentary box.

Darandio

Established Member
Unless one watched both the Sky and the BBC filler coverage how can one say which was better?

I started that argument and was switching between both so can have that opinion. The BBC coverage is streets ahead when it comes to fillers. Eddie Jordan helps with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.