• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fastest route to Tring from Uxbridge

GordonSmyth

Hiya! Im super new to trains, so please bare with me.

Journey I’d like help on planning: From Uxbridge (preferably Hayes and Harrington station) to Tring

ive been trying to use the TFL tube and rail map to figure this out, but I’m really struggling.

thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@GordonSmyth. Welcome to the forum. I'd go with train from Hayes and Harlington to London Paddington, tube from Paddington to Euston Square (Metropolitan / Circle / Hammersmith and City lines), short walk to London Euston station and then train to Tring.

Others may suggest an alternative.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Could consider the 724 bus from Uxbridge to Watford Junction, then pick up a train from there to Tring.

Bear in mind that Tring station is not really in Tring at all, it's almost two miles away.

BrianW

Established Member
Not sure this will help, but in case ... it's a while since I lived in that neck of the woods- some things change; some don't ...
Could consider the 724 bus from Uxbridge to Watford Junction, then pick up a train from there to Tring.

Bear in mind that Tring station is not really in Tring at all, it's almost two miles away.
A good option. Bear in mind the 724 is broadly hourly and can get caught up in traffic en route Heathrow to Harlow via Uxbridge and Watford Junction (https://www.intalink.org.uk/services/ec0597df-e2ad-429e-a5cb-047edabd9c4e) Trains Watford Junction- Tring are good and regular. You can look up 724 and train times online, and bus stop locations on Streetview.

Option 2- a different bus. 140 from Hayes&Harlington stn to Harrow&Weadstone stn, via Harrow town centre (and Harrow-on-the-Hill Metropolitan line stn), about 50mins(!); approx every 10 mins. There's a TfL Superloop bus too (limited stop) from H&H to Harrow town centre, but that's then another bus (or long step) to H&W stn.

There could be options via Rayners Lane but they may be more circuitous and less frequent ... maybe someone else may be more knowledgeable on this.

In short, to use that wiseguy way with words:I wouldn't start from here ;) ... or aim to get there!

ps You may enjoy some views of HS2 works en route on the 724!

AndrewE

Established Member
I would try Traveline. https://www.traveline.info/ It is brilliant at finding mixes of buses and trains, and also buses down parallel main roads to a destination in between when you wouldn't have any hope of finding them yourself. (I wouldn't anyway.)

When I last went to Tring (within the last 12 months) I found that the train services with connections from the north meant that it was better to go to Berko and get a bus back along the old A41! Buses to / from Tring station are pretty appalling.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Buses to / from Tring station are pretty appalling.
And potentially expensive as I believe the operator isn't part of the £2 fare scheme with those routes (and the prices hidden away Sellotaped to the bottom draw of a locked filling cabinet in a disused toilet with a sign saying beware of the leopard ;)

Veteran Member
Googlemaps generally suggests either the 140 as above or Elizabeth Line to Tottenham Ct Rd and Northern to Euston for Tring. (Note - that's station to station, for Tring centre it offers via Aylesbury!). Check it against Traveline though.