• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite music genre for rail enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSmiths82

I have quite a wide music tastes but it is probably all rock and roll. I like everything from early 60's Ska to System of a Down but my favourite genres has to be punk, post punk and 80's synth pop. I think post punk and synth pop go hand in hand. For some reason the early to mid 80's alternative stuff really interests me. I think it is partly because I feel like I am in a cult for liking a lot of those bands. Examples would the Chameleons, The Smiths, New Order, The Wedding Present etc and even perhaps Human League although I would be pushing it to call them alternative!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1511

I have quite a wide music tastes but it is probably all rock and roll. I like everything from early 60's Ska to System of a Down but my favourite genres has to be punk, post punk and 80's synth pop. I think post punk and synth pop go hand in hand. For some reason the early to mid 80's alternative stuff really interests me. I think it is partly because I feel like I am in a cult for liking a lot of those bands. Examples would the Chameleons, The Smiths, New Order, The Wedding Present etc and even perhaps Human League although I would be pushing it to call them alternative!
Best gig I ever attended was the Wedding Present at the Edinburgh Queens Hall on the Bizarro tour in about 1990. They were absolutely on it, and the crowd were really up for it, so it was a memorable evening! Their performance of Brassneck was utterly fantastic and the place was going nuts! :D

Peterthegreat

Established Member
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool folkie....but I also enjoy blues, light classical and - not surprisingly, given the amount of time I have spent/do spend in Italy - opera.

Older members may recall a Bristol-based rock band called 'Lieutenant Pigeon', whose biggest hit in the mid-1970s was a song entitled 'Mouldy Old Dough'! Some - or perhaps all four - of them were rail enthusiasts and IIRC they were instrumental (Groan!) in the formation of the Western Locomotive Association, along with local primary school teacher Pam Keck. It may well be that their earnings contributed to a greater or lesser extent to the purchase of D1013 and D1062. I wonder whether Pam is still alive? I met her a couple of times at railway preservation-related functions and she had an infectious enthusiasm inspired by the train spotting kids in her class....some of whom may well nowadays be on this forum!
I do indeed remember Lieutenant Pigeon. I believe a couple of their members were instrumental (double groan) in putting together an album "Westerns: Diesel Hydraulics on the Western Region in 1974".

Purple Train

Established Member
My favourite album came out in December 1960. I last had a listen between Pickering and Goathland behind no. 264 ;)

Addressing the actual question - well, anything goes as long as it has a prominent piano. So, mostly classical and then some early 70s stuff!

Gathursty

Established Member
Grew up liking indie bands that would pop up on 6Music for a week then disappear but then grew to appreciate more leftfield work from Bjork, The Residents, John Cooper Clarke, Tom Waits, The Smiths, Lou Reed, Roxy Music etc... then roll on a few years and I have become more into the Great American Songbook, English Folk and 80s music.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Progressive rock for me too; The 'classic' bands, eg Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, but also more recent acts such as Big Big Train, Marillion, and my two absolute favourite bands of all time, Gazpacho and IQ.

THC

I'm likely to be the statistical outlier here......ambient, dub and drone electronica is my thing. 'Techno' doesn’t necessarily need kick drums and hi-hats IMO. And the works are proper compositions, with movements, as proper music should, and 30 minute tracks are not unusual. Soundscapes is a word often used to describe it.
Deepchord, Echospace, CV313, Donato Dozzy and a bunch of other artists that hardly anyone's heard of. But I am perfectly comfortable with that.
Not necessarily. I spent 30-odd years raving to various forms of techno, trance and jungle/D&B and recently have been getting back into Northern Exposure-era prog house from Sasha and Digweed. Off to see them in an open-to-close at Hackney Church on 1 December.

That said, my musical tastes are quite eclectic - everything from Irish traditional to folk to the electronica mentioned above to eighties goth and new wave, nineties industrial and post-punk, and onto the current crop of indie bands and singer-songwriters. There's always something worth listening to in every genre and always something new to discover. Long may that continue.

THC

Last edited:

RichJF

Quite wide taste personally.

Old skool house/techno, 90s trance, older rap/hip-hop, retro/synthwave.

PsychoMouse

My go-to is metal (anything from death downwards, but really not a far of power metal, Iron Maiden or anything like that). But I like a broad range of rock, punk, grunge, grime, country, R&B etc.

Favourites of all time are Ghost, Green Day, Electric Six. Current breakthrough young favourites are Spiritbox, Bob Vylan, and Empire State Ba*tard. Guilty pleasures include Abba and Lady Gaga haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.