• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite non-UK station

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB_B

Established Member
Antwerp has been mentioned several times, my chance to recommend 'Austerlitz' by W G Sebald, on the first page he describes how he used to frequently travel to Belgium, he was not quite sure why, when one day he found himself in Antwerp train station
There is a lot more to the book than that..

Yes - that's great novel. I think of it each time I pass through Liverpool Street.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
For me has be Sydney Central, so many services coming and going. A close 2nd would be Sofia

There are some very nicely preserved stations in NSW.
Sydney Central is rather lop-sided with most traffic on the through lines, while the older terminus is very quiet off-peak.
The concourse is very nice though, with trams outside the front door and (now) downstairs too.

The nation's capital station in Canberra is a bit of a joke though, just a single platform (3 tpd) in what looks like a goods yard.
Very nice scenic run to/from Sydney though.

Dr Day

Limoges Bénédictins - not sure if still the case but historically clocks were intentionally 2 minutes fast to hurry up intending passengers.

Mal75756

I have to add, cologne station as one of the best, managed to stay in a hotel over looking the station for a few days and the station is staggeringly busy. Trains every minute. After a day out sightseeing to get back and watch the trains moving was great, never turned the television on at all whilst I was in that room

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I have to add, cologne station as one of the best, managed to stay in a hotel over looking the station for a few days and the station is staggeringly busy. Trains every minute. After a day out sightseeing to get back and watch the trains moving was great, never turned the television on at all whilst I was in that room

Köln has lots of passenger but lacks on freight apart from very early and very late since most freight has its own tracks (often the way with larger German cities)

Many of the stations on the Rhein, while a bit basic and functional in themselves, are unrivalled for freight especially if you can see the other tracks on the other side of the river.

raetiamann

Köln has lots of passenger but lacks on freight apart from very early and very late since most freight has its own tracks (often the way with larger German cities)

Many of the stations on the Rhein, while a bit basic and functional in themselves, are unrivalled for freight especially if you can see the other tracks on the other side of the river.
Bf Koeln West is a great place to watch freight.

dazzler

I have to add, cologne station as one of the best, managed to stay in a hotel over looking the station for a few days and the station is staggeringly busy.

In 1997, my father and I were stopping for a few nights in the Hotel Victoria in Brig. Both of us being (at the time) railwaymen, imagine our delight on finding that our 2nd floor balcony overlooked the BVZ/FO (as it was at the time, now MGB) station, with the SBB/BLS station behind it. This was before the building of the new link to the east of Brig, making Brig MGB a through station. At this time everything reversed in Brig.

The evening entertainment every day was the "shunting" of a first class "Panorama" coach, which had been uncoupled at the east end of the platform, to the west end for the return working. In the absence of a station pilot loco, one of the platform staff wound off the handbrake, then he and his mate **pushed** the coach down the platform. Once up to speed, the first guy then jumped onto the footboard and scooted the coach along, before using the handbrake to stop the coach in the correct place down the other end of the platform! o_O

Abbreviations:
BVZ - Brig-Visp-Zermatt Bahn
FO - Furka Oberalp Bahn
MGB - Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn
SBB - Schweizerische Bundesbahnen
BLS - Bern-Lötschberg Bahn

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I'm putting a vote in for Beijing Station. Incredible variety of services, stock and loco movements. Amazing architecture and you get great views of the station approaches and rail traffic from the Dongbianmen tower, in one of the few remaining parts of the old city walls.

THC

Dublin Connolly for me. Always a variety of rolling stock, even in these ICR times; the combination of terminus and through platforms; the nearest thing Ireland has to an international service; and oh so many childhood memories of dragging suitcases along the platform to make the Sligo train.

THC

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
The only station I've visited with a ticket machine offering free tickets, in a country not known for being cheap
The tickets are only free if you're in airport and not gone through customs, I thought?

Alfonso

The tickets are only free if you're in airport and not gone through customs, I thought?
Quite possibly, can't remember. I just remember there being a plain vanilla machine and a separate machine with one button that issued a free local ticket.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quite possibly, can't remember. I just remember there being a plain vanilla machine and a separate machine with one button that issued a free local ticket.
That's the one, it's just before you get out into main airport concourse at end of baggage reclaim. Very useful it is too!!!

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Nürnberg Hauptbahnhof isn't perhaps as grand and splendid some others in Germany (Frankfurt-Main and Köln for example) but I feel it has a particular charm about it. It's none the worse for lacking the overall roof of those mentioned above.

Praha-Masarykovo is another "characterful" station. It's a smallish city centre terminus that's a bit rough around the edges... rather like Marylebone in the early 1990s.

re Praha-Masarykovo & Marylebone - LIKE!

JohnKelly

Having toured the England and Scotland by car in 1999 we have always regretted not having travelled by train and so am unfamiliar with the railway stations of the United Kingdom or Ireland.

We have however travelled by train to various parts of Australia and the station that really took my fancy was Longreach in central Queensland.

We travelled on the Spirit of the Outback from Brisbane to Longreach a distance of 1325 k's taking 26 hours.

JohnKelly
RailRoads

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Dippoldiswalde*
Been through there, the line was rebuilt after devastating floods, an all-new bit of narrow-gauge steam railway, there is a great walk through the gorge beside the line

* 'Dipps' to the locals

tony6499

Locarno is similarly located but has a bit of a more relaxed Italian charm about it, I'd go for that instead myself.

It also has a narrow gauge line with an entertainingly rude name (in English) in the basement :D
I was meant to be going there last Summer on an Interrail trip

Brooke

Agree with a lot of the great posts so far: Grand Central, Madrid, Antwerp, Liege, etc. And as a Swiss resident, agree with many of the ones here too.

I don’t think anyone’s mentioned Venezia Santa Lucia yet?

For anyone who’s not been, it’s an « otherworldly » experience - leaving behind an industrial area, trundling over the lagoon with views of the Dolomites in the far distance, into a very nice 1950s station - and then the perennial delight of stepping outside and discovering the canal outside, where the street should be...

Status
Not open for further replies.