• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Services to the West

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Do all London - West Country (Penzance, Plymouth etc) all go via Castle Cary going westbound? They seem to go via Bristol on the return to London, what is the reason for this? Surely it's better to send them through Bristol?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Temple Meads

Established Member
No, not all services go via Castle Cary, there are a few exceptions, a check of Open Train Times shows 2 Down services for south of Taunton going via Bristol (weekdays).

The route through Bristol is slower, and there are plenty of trains between Bristol and the west as it is, as well as between London and Bristol.

Thanks Temple Meads, how does this work with crews then? If they are going out via CC and returning via Bristol?

Thanks again

Temple Meads

Established Member
Thanks Temple Meads, how does this work with crews then? If they are going out via CC and returning via Bristol?

Thanks again

I believe such a driver would start at Paddington, and leave the train at Exeter (I'm not 100% sure about this though), so running via the different routes shouldn't cause a problem as crews will (hopefully!!) be trained for both routes.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I believe such a driver would start at Paddington, and leave the train at Exeter (I'm not 100% sure about this though), so running via the different routes shouldn't cause a problem as crews will (hopefully!!) be trained for both routes.

I'd imagine crews woud be trained for both routes as in cases of disruption you will often see trains that are booked to run via Bristol use the faster route through Castle Cary to make up time.

KA4C

Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol and Padd HSS drivers trained on both routes

RPI

Established Member
there are only 4 or 5 trains from west of Taunton that go up via Bristol with Padd crews signing both routes, Exeter, Bristol and Plymouth crews also signing both routes.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Most Plymouth and Exeter Crews also sign the route via honiton-Yeovil Junction-Yeovil Pen Mill-Castle Cary also but no other depot does.

Thanks for the info gents. Another question, can anyone tell me why there is such an intensive service onthe Severn Beach line? Wikipedia suggests very low passenger numbers...

anthony263

Established Member
Bristol council do provide some subsidy for the additional trains on the Severn beach line which can become very busy during the peaks.

There was supposed to be a large housing development being built at Severn beach somewhere close to the station which would have helped especially if there was good rail acess to Bristol and possibly Bath in the future.

The trains do however seem to be very well used between Clifton Down & Bristol TM

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Large increase in numbers, so much so that the additional Council subsidised services are now in the new franchise ITT.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for the info gents. Another question, can anyone tell me why there is such an intensive service onthe Severn Beach line? Wikipedia suggests very low passenger numbers...

Bristol council do provide some subsidy for the additional trains on the Severn beach line which can become very busy during the peaks.

Large increase in numbers, so much so that the additional Council subsidised services are now in the new franchise ITT.

Because Bristol City Council pay a sum to provide such a service, in line with the demand of local people who called for this. Per passenger, the subsidy is lower than other supported council services they provide, and at par with the subsidy paid for bus services. The extra evening train from 17 Sept will be paid for by FGW, until the franchise expires next year. The Summer Sunday service to Severn Beach is paid for by South Gloucestershire Council.

Don't forget that this is not a 'rural' branch line but a largely urban route. Other branch lines in the South West (Exmouth and Falmouth) have a 2tph service, and the Severn Beach line has 3 trains every 2 hours, which is in fact quite poor for an urban area.

Passenger numbers continue to grow, with an increase of over 100%. There are now over 7,000 journeys per day on the line (source: twice yearly passenger counts). There are now over 1.2 Million journeys per year with an origin or destination on the line.

headshot119

Established Member
there are only 4 or 5 trains from west of Taunton that go up via Bristol with Padd crews signing both routes, Exeter, Bristol and Plymouth crews also signing both routes.
Most Plymouth and Exeter Crews also sign the route via honiton-Yeovil Junction-Yeovil Pen Mill-Castle Cary also but no other depot does.

How do they maintain route knowledge via Honiton?

TheWalrus

Established Member

How do they maintain route knowledge via Honiton?
Night Riviera takes that route on Sundays sometimes I think.

Rich McLean

Established Member
On the 9th Sept, I am taking the 1013 from Plymouth to Didcot via Bristol, then onto OXF from there, so some run on sundays

Xavi

Because Bristol City Council pay a sum to provide such a service, in line with the demand of local people who called for this. Per passenger, the subsidy is lower than other supported council services they provide, and at par with the subsidy paid for bus services. The extra evening train from 17 Sept will be paid for by FGW, until the franchise expires next year. The Summer Sunday service to Severn Beach is paid for by South Gloucestershire Council.

Don't forget that this is not a 'rural' branch line but a largely urban route. Other branch lines in the South West (Exmouth and Falmouth) have a 2tph service, and the Severn Beach line has 3 trains every 2 hours, which is in fact quite poor for an urban area.

Passenger numbers continue to grow, with an increase of over 100%. There are now over 7,000 journeys per day on the line (source: twice yearly passenger counts). There are now over 1.2 Million journeys per year with an origin or destination on the line.

Exmouth is no branch line these days, rather more inter urban. The hourly service on a Sunday is full and standing quite often as I experienced on both my journeys yesterday. 1038 Digby to Paignton was standing the whole journey as far as Torquay. Anything less than 2tph on weekdays would be chaos.

louis97

Established Member
Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol and Padd HSS drivers trained on both routes

Don't forget Plymouth and Exeter will also sign via Bristol Parkway, also via Melksham and also Bradford-on-avon.

Also it appears the thread starter seems to think ALL services return via Bristol, this is not the case, and the vast majority of services return via Castle Cary.

On the 9th Sept, I am taking the 1013 from Plymouth to Didcot via Bristol, then onto OXF from there, so some run on sundays

There is more services from Plymouth to London via Bristol on a Sunday, than during the week. Around 3 services in each direction to/from Devon.

During the week it is worth noting that the services via Bristol are a franchise commitment and that is the reason they operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.