• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tfemark

Hi new to the forum, applied for Reading trainee on Weds, and got my phone interview next Tuesday:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

welshjpc

Welcome TFEMark, welcome to the forum and welcome to the long road that is trainee train driver application!

This place is packed with good info, any questions that you may have will almost certainly be answered in here somewhere.

Oh, and good luck!

Tfemark

Welcome TFEMark, welcome to the forum and welcome to the long road that is trainee train driver application!

This place is packed with good info, any questions that you may have will almost certainly be answered in here somewhere.

Oh, and good luck!

Why thank you Welshjpc been looking for info for the phone interview but not found anything as yet, perhaps you can point me in the right direction:roll:

KRH

Are FGW not just recruiting for Qualified Drivers? or can I apply for these roles as I don't see Trainee Driver's jobs listed and I've been watching the site for over a month.

james956

They are advertising on indeed.com, hurry though because the cut off point is the 23rd. I applied Monday and have a telephone interview next week.....any tips on this would be much appreciated.

Sammy h

Gutted I missed out on this. A little sneaky advertising on indeed.co.uk and not their official website. Thought I was being on the ball checking all the TOC websites every day, but it looks like I need to be checking even more :(

Waikikibaby

Good luck to all the new guys taking their telephone interview next week. It's very relaxed and fairly informal, I chatted to what sounded like a young lady, she asked me questions about safety, customer service, any experience I'd had with dealing with members of the public and difficult situations I might have found myself in. I'm sure there was more but I can't remember, just be natural and answer the questions as well as you can. I got a bit confused and had to ask for clarification on a few points but it didn't go against me.

I was under the impression that if successful I would go into a talent pool for future vacancies but she did tell me that there were existing vacancies and now I've got Stage 2 assessment coming up within a few weeks. I've applied for Paddington but the advert was for Oxford, Reading and Paddington when I applied in September. It also seems to be going quite quickly considering that some people have been waiting well over a year. I just hope it doesn't slow down after stage 2 LOL

@Keaneo - how did you get on with your Stage 2 today?

jb2339

I've also got an telephone interview on Monday morning thanks for the information.

One question though, I've applied for reading and oxford but if Bristol or another West Country opening was to come up during my application do you know if I can apply for that too?

Also once your trained can you change depot?

Many thanks

jb2339

Septus

Good luck to all the new guys taking their telephone interview next week. It's very relaxed and fairly informal, I chatted to what sounded like a young lady, she asked me questions about safety, customer service, any experience I'd had with dealing with members of the public and difficult situations I might have found myself in. I'm sure there was more but I can't remember, just be natural and answer the questions as well as you can. I got a bit confused and had to ask for clarification on a few points but it didn't go against me.

I was under the impression that if successful I would go into a talent pool for future vacancies but she did tell me that there were existing vacancies and now I've got Stage 2 assessment coming up within a few weeks. I've applied for Paddington but the advert was for Oxford, Reading and Paddington when I applied in September. It also seems to be going quite quickly considering that some people have been waiting well over a year. I just hope it doesn't slow down after stage 2 LOL

Thanks for this, this is one of the best posts I have seen as to what to expect in the telephone interview.

As for the others who posted reference my link to the FGW site; Yes this is a must for FGW. I think its the only one to have their own separate website for Trainee Drivers.

Last edited:

nick40uk

FGW are being a bit sneaky. I've been keeping an eye on their main careers site for ages and not seen any adverts for trainee drivers. Oh well maybe next time.

Tfemark

Thanks very much for this, didn't know quite what to expect, I applied direct from FGW website it was only there for a couple of days.

bacooke1987

Good evening people, I have my telephone interview booked for Thursday, had my email through today. Any one who has had one, did they ask anything along the lines of knowing anything about first? Thanks

rob12

Is there anybody, anybody at all who has got a start date and applied for oxford back in April?? or anybody on a curse at the moment who is going to oxford either asked or applied for this station?? Thanks

Tfemark

Good evening people, I have my telephone interview booked for Thursday, had my email through today. Any one who has had one, did they ask anything along the lines of knowing anything about first? Thanks

Hi, just literally got off the phone, it was more about what you think is involved with becoming a train driver, what you think is expected of you etc and customer service, example of you giving excellent customer service, why you chose FGW etc

Tfemark

Good luck with that, let us know how you get on
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OMG :o just had an email regarding my telephone interview this morning, and I have passed, Wow that was quick just wait for assessment dates now :D:D

Septus

Can't believe it...had my phone interview yesterday, to be told it will be next week when I find out if I have progressed. To then check my emails this morning to find an email sent from from FGW, yesterday, starting with:
'Congratulations'!

Date for assessment centre to follow!

Tfemark

Good luck!
It goes by quickly, think I was on the phone for a total of about 18mins.

Hi Septus, where did you apply for, Reading or Oxford? had mine yesterday and got a passed email that afternoon:lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just had the DM's interview. Got to say in not overly confident, it wasn't what I expected!

Hi, hope you don't mind me asking, in what way was it not what you expected? better to be prepared

Hi, hope you don't mind me asking, in what way was it not what you expected? better to be prepared

Hi. I had a DM's interview a couple of years back (failed obviously) and I thought it would be similiar to that again.

Instead, the DM's interview i had yesterday required multiple examples of when you have performed or achieved something in your life and the Why/How/When/What's of it all.

This time it was rather similiar to the structured interview I did at the assessment centre.

gb76

I had my DM interview yesterday. I felt it went ok. Had a phone call this morning saying I was successful. Medical next week. They aren't hanging around!

Status
Not open for further replies.