• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Midland Bluebird

Status
Not open for further replies.

awsnews

The bus in the background looks like ex Stuart’s of Carluke.
There wasn't any sign of that one on Tuesday with two doubles seen in use (the Scania in the picture and a cream coloured President bodied Volvo) with a third in the yard which looked like a lwb Olympian.
First are using coaches for the 507 and 513, hence no issues around compliance with seat belt requirements.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Another dim wit idea from those who think they know what there doing!

Kilsyth lost there FiG x86 a few years ago now they had the opportunity to have a new epxress but its going half way round the west of Cumbernauld, good going, not!

https://www.cumbernauld-news.co.uk/...ces-through-cumbernauld-and-kilsyth-1-4915162

To be fair, time wise the X35 is probably roughly the same as the old X86 if not faster. The move is clearly a way of saving buses while not reducing frequency to the majority of people.

Gingerbus1991

To be fair, time wise the X35 is probably roughly the same as the old X86 if not faster. The move is clearly a way of saving buses while not reducing frequency to the majority of people.
Stick to dictating on the area that you know, Jarvis certainly has his head up his backside when it comes to rural routes.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Stick to dictating on the area that you know, Jarvis certainly has his head up his backside when it comes to rural routes.

Where did i say i thought it was a good route? I don't! I was just making the point that the X35 time wise would be roughly the same as the X86 and that it was clearly a low impact (That is in terms of cuts) cost saving measure.

I hate to break it to you as we know you have a strong hatred of Mr Jarvis... But he isn't the one behind the X35. If you think it's such a bad idea then i advise you contact John Scott rather than Andrew Jarvis!

Gingerbus1991

Where did i say i thought it was a good route? I don't! I was just making the point that the X35 time wise would be roughly the same as the X86 and that it was clearly a low impact (That is in terms of cuts) cost saving measure.

I hate to break it to you as we know you have a strong hatred of Mr Jarvis... But he isn't the one behind the X35. If you think it's such a bad idea then i advise you contact John Scott rather than Andrew Jarvis!
Yet jarvis has to be be the one to comment on it

Cuts is what we have came to know First for.

I worked at Stagecoach Fife for 4 years and his time there nobody liked how he ran the ship!

lastbus

I worked at Stagecoach Fife for 4 years and his time there nobody liked how he ran the ship!
In IMO he’s doing a good job with first. Your basing your opinions on what he did at Stagecoach which is not the way to go. Under Andrew Jarvis there has been investment in Scotland and increased frequencies on some routes.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Because Andrew Jarvis is the managing director, he's the "known" media figure at the top of the company. However he has little involvement with the route planning/scheduling within Scotland East. That's the Network Manager's (John Scott) job, the network manager also works with the local scheduler to plan these things.

Depending on how you look at it it's not a cut, All the areas on the route will still have a better service than they did pre-2018. In addition to this most areas will not see a reduction in frequency and/or will receive improved links.

Jarvis proved controversial at Stagecoach, he revamped the whole Bluebird network and vastly improved reliability and journey times, however his actions within the Strathtay/Fife side were less popular, of course in the latter half of his tenure Bluebird/Highland separated from the management of East Scotland and became their own independently managed division.

In IMO he’s doing a good job with first. Your basing your opinions on what he did at Stagecoach which is not the way to go. Under Andrew Jarvis there has been investment in Scotland and increased frequencies on some routes.

Jarvis has done quite well given what he had to take on, but there's still lots of progress to be made at the moment. Aberdeen especially at the moment is feeling a tad forgotten, but that's mainly due to the issues in WL taking main priority. There's also more local reasons which i'll not dive in to at the moment as this is the wrong place.

Gingerbus1991

Because Andrew Jarvis is the managing director, he's the "known" media figure at the top of the company. However he has little involvement with the route planning/scheduling within Scotland East. That's the Network Manager's (John Scott) job, the network manager also works with the local scheduler to plan these things.

Depending on how you look at it it's not a cut, All the areas on the route will still have a better service than they did pre-2018. In addition to this most areas will not see a reduction in frequency and/or will receive improved links.

Jarvis proved controversial at Stagecoach, he revamped the whole Bluebird network and vastly improved reliability and journey times, however his actions within the Strathtay/Fife side were less popular, of course in the latter half of his tenure Bluebird/Highland separated from the management of East Scotland and became their own independently managed division.

Jarvis has done quite well given what he had to take on, but there's still lots of progress to be made at the moment. Aberdeen especially at the moment is feeling a tad forgotten, but that's mainly due to the issues in WL taking main priority. There's also more local reasons which i'll not dive in to at the moment as this is the wrong place.
Political pressure behind global warming is the reason we’ve seen investment of late in alot of places, not the willingness to change through the companies own good will, perhaps only to certain areas as you know what I’m getting at.

Of course I understand that operation managers, operation directors and then of course Group directors are different, of course those OM and OD positions generally have been given to those who are graduates, those who have not experienced the road before the computer screen.

The aforementioned x35 and its chosen route is a prime example of how the whole relationship between the public and what these managers/directors think they should implement.

Observer

There wasn't any sign of that one on Tuesday with two doubles seen in use (the Scania in the picture and a cream coloured President bodied Volvo) with a third in the yard which looked like a lwb Olympian.
First are using coaches for the 507 and 513, hence no issues around compliance with seat belt requirements.
Aren't there supposed to be age limits in place, which would fail the Olympian? Unless it's temp stock whilst compliant seat belted vehicles are prepared.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Political pressure behind global warming is the reason we’ve seen investment of late in alot of places, not the willingness to change through the companies own good will, perhaps only to certain areas as you know what I’m getting at.

Of course I understand that operation managers, operation directors and then of course Group directors are different, of course those OM and OD positions generally have been given to those who are graduates, those who have not experienced the road before the computer screen.

The aforementioned x35 and its chosen route is a prime example of how the whole relationship between the public and what these managers/directors think they should implement.

I think you'll find nearly every company regardless of who they are want to offer the best they can to the customer, some do it well, some don't. I don't agree with the notion that bus operators don't care about their passengers.

While the new X35 isn't the best route (Certainly not something i would do), we need to look at it at the perspective of what there is right now and what there has been. I think in the context of what there is now the X35 is better than the 4B and half hourly X37, So i can see why they've done what they're doing. As i say, it's a cost saving measure that has minimal impact.

The Network manager and operations directors for Aberdeen & Scotland East are actually both quite long standing and have extensive knowledge of each of the areas they mainly overlook. The simple fact is when it comes to network changes all bus companies make errors or create routes that don't have demand, the best outcome is to wait it out 6 months, see if there's growth. If not reverse back to how it was prior (if possible).

Aren't there supposed to be age limits in place, which would fail the Olympian? Unless it's temp stock whilst compliant seat belted vehicles are prepared.

Just a guess, but could that "Olympian" possible be a East Lancs bodied B7TL? The East Lancs bodies on the B7TL and Olympian are very similar at a distance.

awsnews

No idea about age limits but I suspect you are correct about some vehicles being temporary. There are pictures online of the Scania being prepped and painted at Mardens with another one from the same batch also receiving the same treatment. No doubt the next Ensign monthly sales post will provide the answer.

Boynewater

By all accounts all is not well with some parents in Balfron as Carrs are allegedly leaving some kids behind (possibly they are missing the bus which I agree is the most likely) & the kids are having to pay to use the service buses & the kids are trying to use their passes on the First services after school to be met with a no from the driver

smtglasgow

I get that the X35 is a cheeky way of replacing the 4B, but it also reintroduces a faster bus into Glasgow for parts of Kilsyth, so surely a good thing? Even the wicked Mr Jarvis can do positive things occasionally!

How well does the X36 do at every 30 mins? I’ve seen a few very quiet buses coming into Glasgow on the motorway, but no idea if that's typical.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I get that the X35 is a cheeky way of replacing the 4B, but it also reintroduces a faster bus into Glasgow for parts of Kilsyth, so surely a good thing? Even the wicked Mr Jarvis can do positive things occasionally!

How well does the X36 do at every 30 mins? I’ve seen a few very quiet buses coming into Glasgow on the motorway, but no idea if that's typical.

The X35 is effectively an extension of the 4B in to Glasgow. The X37 being reduced to facilitate it. While the change is a positive thing, it wasn't Mr Jarvis behind it!

I couldn't comment on the X36, however i'd suspect how busy a bus appears depends what direction it's going and at what time of day. Obviously a bus coming in to Glasgow in the evening peak isn't going to be busy, while one departing Glasgow in the morning isn't going to be busy either.

overthewater

Established Member
The thing is x35 isn't that fast. If it went via m80 like the x36 which looks to have been cut it could have worked.

Observer

By all accounts all is not well with some parents in Balfron as Carrs are allegedly leaving some kids behind (possibly they are missing the bus which I agree is the most likely) & the kids are having to pay to use the service buses & the kids are trying to use their passes on the First services after school to be met with a no from the driver
Do you have anything to show that this is actually happening? Or is it the case that fare payers are no longer being permitted and they have to obtain privilege passes from Stirling Council?

Volvodart

Established Member
First roll out new look buses and bus services in Falkirk area

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/new...es-and-bus-services-in-falkirk-area-1-4915627

First roll out new look buses and bus services in Falkirk area

JAMES TRIMBLE
Email
Published: 11:20
Friday 26 April 2019

First Midland has announced some new bus services covering a number of routes which will be coming into operation next month.

From May 20 the X35, which will replace the old 4B service, will cover Falkirk to Glasgow via Bonnybridge, Dennyloanhead, Haggs, Banknock, Banton, Kilsyth and Croy.

Buses will run every hour during the day and in the early evenings on Mondays to Saturdays, maintaining the existing frequency currently offered on route 4B, while offering new and direct hourly links with Glasgow City Centre.

The two early morning links between Croy and Cumbernauld Town Centre that service 4B provides on Saturdays will also be maintained by service X35.

The new X36 service will run from Stirling to Glasgow via Denny, Dennyloanhead, Haggs, Cumbernauld Village and Cumbernauld Town Centre.

Service X36’s revised route within Cumbernauld will operate via North Carbrain Road – offering better access to the Antonine Shopping Centre, New College Lanarkshire, Tryst Sports Centre and the New Town Hall. As a result, the stops at Cumbernauld Town Centre will no longer be served.

The service is also altered to serve Condorrat – Etive Drive and Main Road – and Mollinsburn. Buses will then run non-stop from Mollins Interchange via the M80/M8 motorways into Glasgow City Centre.

Service X36 will continue to operate every 30 minutes during the day on Mondays to Saturdays, and every 60 minutes during the day on Sundays.

The nightly evening service will reduce in frequency from 60 to 90 minutes, however, the timetable has been extended to offer later journey opportunities from Glasgow back to Stirling, including a new late-night departure at 11.30pm from Glasgow on Mondays to Saturdays.

Service X37 will run from Falkirk to Glasgow via Bonnybridge, Allandale, Cumbernauld Village and Cumbernauld Town Centre.

The route of service X37 remains unchanged, however, the daily frequency will revert back to hourly following insufficient demand to support the cost of running the route on a half-hourly basis.

For passengers located along the sections of route between Falkirk and Bonnybridge, and between Condorrat and Crow Wood, service X35 and X37 will offer a half-hourly service to Falkirk and Glasgow on a combined basis.

Andrew Jarvis, First Midland managing director, said: “These improvements provide new direct links to Glasgow from Stirling, Falkirk and Cumbernauld. Customers in these areas will benefit from better route coverage as well as a refurbished fleet with a fresh look, and 4G WIFI.

“This represents improvements in most areas and the changes to these services are based on customer feedback, so I hope the public get behind these new services to ensure their commercial viability going forward.”

Visit www.firstgroup.com for more information on the new services.

johnw

Have Best Impressions designed these latest Scottish schemes or are they based on the Bristol schemes?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Possibly enviro 300s by the looks of the pic , nothing new though.

Indeed E300s, same buses that do the bulk of the service currently, it's just a fleet refresh with a new look rather than new vehicles, although no one was claiming they were new vehicles to be fair.

Have Best Impressions designed these latest Scottish schemes or are they based on the Bristol schemes?

It's just the standard corporate Urban livery, the original of which was done by best impressions. However the Scottish variations and route branding were done by marketing agency MadeBrave.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It's just the standard corporate Urban livery, the original of which was done by best impressions. However the Scottish variations and route branding were done by marketing agency MadeBrave.

Not quite. The Urban 1 was done by Work Design.

Not certain if BI did Urban 2 though they have certainly used that template on numerous bespoke liveries for First such as Badgerline, Bath City, SG Lynx, Nimrod, Salt Road etc

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Not quite. The Urban 1 was done by Work Design.

Not certain if BI did Urban 2 though they have certainly used that template on numerous bespoke liveries for First such as Badgerline, Bath City, SG Lynx, Nimrod, Salt Road etc

There's conflict regarding the naming of the First liveries depending where you are in the country. The original 2012 scheme was named Olympia to coincide with the Olympics, when the later livery came along it was known as Urban. I'm not quite sure how the jumble with the naming has came about. I know that down in your end of the country management typically call the liveries "Urban" and "Urban 2", whereas Jarvis calls them "Olympia" and "Olympia 2"! If you go to the Yorkshire areas you typically find they use the correct "Olympia" and "Urban" names.

Either way it was the plain livery with the rear wedge used by the likes of Scotland and WoE that i was referring to as being designed by BI rather than "Olympia/Urban 1".

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
There's conflict regarding the naming of the First liveries depending where you are in the country. The original 2012 scheme was named Olympia to coincide with the Olympics, when the later livery came along it was known as Urban. I'm not quite sure how the jumble with the naming has came about. I know that down in your end of the country management typically call the liveries "Urban" and "Urban 2", whereas Jarvis calls them "Olympia" and "Olympia 2"! If you go to the Yorkshire areas you typically find they use the correct "Olympia" and "Urban" names.

Either way it was the plain livery with the rear wedge used by the likes of Scotland and WoE that i was referring to as being designed by BI rather than "Olympia/Urban 1".

IIRC, the "Olympia" name was never official. It was something that enthusiasts came up with but gained semi official status. The Urban name came out for that livery subsequently.

Then you have the second iteration, and that seems to be unofficially known as Urban 2. Don't know if BI did come up with that. However, you have various instances where BI have used the template as I mentioned. There are also other design agencies that have also used the template as in Scotland.

That later livery is interesting. In corporate use, it is just the rear wedge and a bar, then a possible coloured sash (e.g. 18, 75 etc) as also used in Bristol or Norwich. Meanwhile, you have the template with other colours, again they have the rear wedge but some have a front, some don't, irrespective of the colours.

FWIW, I'm not quite so sold on the Glasgow application of the front sash as opposed to the way it's done elsewhere.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
IIRC, the "Olympia" name was never official. It was something that enthusiasts came up with but gained semi official status. The Urban name came out for that livery subsequently.

Then you have the second iteration, and that seems to be unofficially known as Urban 2. Don't know if BI did come up with that. However, you have various instances where BI have used the template as I mentioned. There are also other design agencies that have also used the template as in Scotland.

That later livery is interesting. In corporate use, it is just the rear wedge and a bar, then a possible coloured sash (e.g. 18, 75 etc) as also used in Bristol or Norwich. Meanwhile, you have the template with other colours, again they have the rear wedge but some have a front, some don't, irrespective of the colours.

FWIW, I'm not quite so sold on the Glasgow application of the front sash as opposed to the way it's done elsewhere.

It's all just a mess, let's put it that way!

Back on topic (ish). I'm not the biggest fan of the Scottish application to the front end of unbranded buses, it looks far too bare on certain vehicles. I think the FSE vehicles especially Enviro300s look much better at the front end as the Blue is warmer as shown on here with the rather 67764, the lilac on the other hand is quite evanesce as shown with 67894. Subsequently Glasgow's Enviro300s look much better with the front wedge.

I do wish they'd start repainting more Aberdeen vehicles so we'd get an idea of how the branding looks. It's been 3 months since the livery was introduced and still 69294 is the only vehicle carrying it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It's all just a mess, let's put it that way!

Back on topic (ish). I'm not the biggest fan of the Scottish application to the front end of unbranded buses, it looks far too bare on certain vehicles. I think the FSE vehicles especially Enviro300s look much better at the front end as the Blue is warmer as shown on here with the rather 67764, the lilac on the other hand is quite evanesce as shown with 67894. Subsequently Glasgow's Enviro300s look much better with the front wedge.

I do wish they'd start repainting more Aberdeen vehicles so we'd get an idea of how the branding looks. It's been 3 months since the livery was introduced and still 69294 is the only vehicle carrying it.

Agree with you on the FSE having a more distinct look.

I’m not overly sold on the vinyl over almost everything
https://flic.kr/p/2fxuUok

Think Bristol do it better
https://flic.kr/p/NpFzS3

Just personal preference. Know what you mean about Aberdeen livery roll out. Guess they’ve had other fish to fry.

Status
Not open for further replies.