• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Midland Bluebird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Awaits all the comments from the usual suspects claiming this show bad maintenance...

No it doesn't fires happen, in some cases they could be avoided. But it's just a fact of operating machinery, at some point a fire is going to happen somewhere.

Nobody injured I hope

Seconded, although i'd suspect if anyone was hurt we'd know already.

KendalKing

Established Member
Awaits all the comments from the usual suspects claiming this show bad maintenance...

No it doesn't fires happen, in some cases they could be avoided. But it's just a fact of operating machinery, at some point a fire is going to happen somewhere.

Every time, we have an Heatwave, they an increase in Vehicle Fires (Buses, Cars, Vans, etc).

I would say its more an "Act of God", then poor maintenance.

I remember the old L94 SS's we had a few years back in Glasgow were an absolute certainty to overheat in high temperatures, B7TL's are a culprit for overheating in hot weather aswell, constant beeping noise from the dash was enough to make you pull over:lol:

awsnews

A couple more changes for Balron registered today, cancellations for the 313 which doesn't appear to be returning for the new school year and the B9 circular. If replacements of some form don't come along then Drymen will no longer have any links to the west.

WHL Spotter

A couple more changes for Balron registered today, cancellations for the 313 which doesn't appear to be returning for the new school year and the B9 circular. If replacements of some form don't come along then Drymen will no longer have any links to the west.
Drymen will still have the 309. Balfron will lose the link to the west.

Andyh82

Established Member
Is there anywhere in Edinburgh you can pick up printed timetables for First?

Lothian Country’s are freely available in at least 3 locations, so I’m hoping First’s are?

overthewater

Established Member
Is there anywhere in Edinburgh you can pick up printed timetables for First?

Lothian Country’s are freely available in at least 3 locations, so I’m hoping First’s are?

No. Not a chance in heck. You can try on the buses but it a real hit and a miss, and most of the times it just what been left over from the May service changes. I can't remember the last time Edinburgh Bus station was sent any First TTs.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
No. Not a chance in heck. You can try on the buses but it a real hit and a miss, and most of the times it just what been left over from the May service changes. I can't remember the last time Edinburgh Bus station was sent any First TTs.

In Aberdeen it's very driver dependant, some drivers will religiously pick up timetables for all the routes the bus is due to do that day and then will return what's left if they're the last driver. Other's don't bother. That said timetables are always on offer at the travel shop and depot reception.

I see First have a rack at the Airport for the 600, although they don't seem best at keeping it topped up!

Andyh82

Established Member
Do they have any travel shops or any timetable racks in Livingston, Falkirk or Stirling?

A bit poor they don’t send timetables to Edinburgh Bus station when you consider even Border Buses and Stagecoach West Scotland do.

overthewater

Established Member
Do they have any travel shops or any timetable racks in Livingston, Falkirk or Stirling?

A bit poor they don’t send timetables to Edinburgh Bus station when you consider even Border Buses and Stagecoach West Scotland do.

First doesn't operate into the bus station ;)

Livingston Travel shop closed down 18 years ago, Falkirk bus station closed down last year and the only place is the Larbert depot at the Head office doors. ( No6/7/8 and 38 is in the Hospital) There was talk of having public enquire desk at the new driver mess room but that has come to nothing. Stirling does have timetable rack, and you will find some times tables. If you can find Balfron guide good luck.

alphabravo43

First doesn't operate into the bus station ;)

Livingston Travel shop closed down 18 years ago, Falkirk bus station closed down last year and the only place is the Larbert depot at the Head office doors. ( No6/7/8 and 38 is in the Hospital) There was talk of having public enquire desk at the new driver mess room but that has come to nothing. Stirling does have timetable rack, and you will find some times tables. If you can find Balfron guide good luck.
The Balfron guide is normally in Balfron library, I did see it in Buchanan bus station once.

The mess room in Falkirk is only for drivers as it’s security card entry only so no public allowed in .its a hit or miss with timetables on the bus as even the depot dosent have the current timetables for the drivers to pick up !! .

Bus Lightyear

Reading back at some of the comments I can see why this thread is titled First Midland Bluebird survival when the company doesn't want to advertise its own routes!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Reading back at some of the comments I can see why this thread is titled First Midland Bluebird survival when the company doesn't want to advertise its own routes!

They're not alone, many operators are now cutting funding to printed timetables with some stopping all together.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I have to say that is very poor business sense.

Agree, but when revenue is in decline cuts have to be made somewhere and the printing of timetables for each set of changes costs them quite a fair chuck of money over time. Keep in mind back in the day bus operators would often charge for timetables (Normally not to make a profit, but rather to cover costs).

There maybe scope for some kind of study to be made looking into the percentage of folk who use real time apps or apps for timetables as opposed to paper timetables , Or has that already been done ?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
There maybe scope for some kind of study to be made looking into the percentage of folk who use real time apps or apps for timetables as opposed to paper timetables , Or has that already been done ?

It probably has been done and i'm sure someone can post an example of such study. However i suspect people on frequent routes just turn up and go without checking, where as people on less frequent routes would be more likely to pick up a timetable.

Andyh82

Established Member
Except in this case, they haven’t stopped printing timetables, they just don’t distribute them enough.

When you are in a) in active competition with another operator who does produce timetables, and b) are the only operator in Edinburgh that doesn’t make timetables available, then it is pretty poor, and can’t really be defended.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
First would be better cutting their loses with Scotland East. Lothian just do it better, no matter the politics and difference in funding they receive - bottom line they do it much better than First ever will. They should give up the ghost and concentrate on their other Scottish subsidiaries (ie Glasgow and Aberdeen).

Observer

The mess room in Falkirk is only for drivers as it’s security card entry only so no public allowed in .its a hit or miss with timetables on the bus as even the depot dosent have the current timetables for the drivers to pick up !! .
Quite anonymous that place is until you see the CCTV sticker on the door has the First logo on it!

overthewater

Established Member
The new West End travel shop with Lothian is digital.. and all the timetables are hidden behind the counter... Lothian are going the same way.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
First would be better cutting their loses with Scotland East. Lothian just do it better, no matter the politics and difference in funding they receive - bottom line they do it much better than First ever will. They should give up the ghost and concentrate on their other Scottish subsidiaries (ie Glasgow and Aberdeen).

Why should they do that. FSE preforms much better than Aberdeen (and many other First ops) currently!

Bus Lightyear

I don't know where you've been in the last 3 months but you may have noticed FirstGroup announced they intend to breakup and sell their entire bus division in the UK.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I don't know where you've been in the last 3 months but you may have noticed FirstGroup announced they intend to breakup and sell their entire bus division in the UK.

I’m very aware of that however this should have been done long ago. The FSE division seems to always be very lacklustre in terms of its services and running the oldest buses ever. This has only really improved in the past few years but even then it’s not anywhere near Lothian’s service. It’s embarrassing and a joke.

Volvodart

Established Member
A lot of the reasons for this are well covered further up this thread, if you care to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.