• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Maybe it's been around and I just haven't seen it, but a Sunseeker branded bus was optimistically allocated to the Atlantic Coaster service today, May Day.
It's a regular on the Land's End Coaster.

Cormac, the council's commercial division, has submitted the planning application for the new multi-operator depot at Penzance replacing the current inadequate First and GoAhead facilities. It is being partly paid for through BSIP funding.

The location is on the site of the two current depots, plus the yard next to the First depot that has been used for bus storage in the past. There is parking for 50 buses and a generous amount of staff parking. There will be shared a shared fuel and adblue bay and bus wash. Staff buildings will be separate. There will also be ducting for future electrification.

Here's the site plan:

Attachments

• PA24_02306-PROPOSED_SITE_PLAN-7904146.pdf
    824 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I assume there's been a ticket machine swap because yellow open topper 37736 is tracking on The Mousehole today! Whatever it is it must still be a big bus, because it's not tracking at the harbour.

Also on the route is a Solo SR.

The last of the former Regal Busways Solos, 53505, is now SORN.

vla50

Some Streetdecks are moving into Norwich from Leicester, will these move the Blue Line B9s out and push them towards Cornwall?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Cornwall's Coaster branded 36100 was towed to Weymouth depot yesterday. That didn't last long!

83G/84D

Established Member
Some Streetdecks are moving into Norwich from Leicester, will these move the Blue Line B9s out and push them towards Cornwall?

The old B7TL's have to go at some point as I was told all the fleet has to be Euro6 by later this year. It still does seem that Norwich and / or Yorkshire are where replacements are coming from.

Goldfish62

Established Member
So, with the new purple/grey purple livery now appearing at several fleets I'm what will happen with Kernow. Will it gain the new livery, or maybe something different for the TfC partnership? Or just carry on as now and simply not bother with repaints?

B7RLE

So, with the new purple/grey purple livery now appearing at several fleets I'm what will happen with Kernow. Will it gain the new livery, or maybe something different for the TfC partnership? Or just carry on as now and simply not bother with repaints?
Purple/Grey so we are hearing in house; the only thing they haven't said is when :lol:

fgwrich

Established Member
Purple/Grey so we are hearing in house; the only thing they haven't said is when :lol:
I presume this is it then, albeit in a typically unfinished First bus state. A bit of a shame if Kernow is lost to that, Sure Kernow needs a tidy up (and binning off of disused brands such as the Day|Tripper, Copper etc) but to go from some of the smart liveries First has had across it's Op Co's (Bath Blue, Swansea Reds etc) to a rather bland scheme like that is disappointing - they finally seemed to have turned a corner with Urban 2!

Andyh82

Established Member
Can you imagine the meeting at head office?

You know all those brands we’ve just spent the last few years developing and in many cases are about 90% complete - Badgerline, Bath Blue, Citylines, Sheffield, Doncaster, HD Connect, Leeds City, Ipswich Reds, Coastal Reds, Wessex, Beeline, Solent…

Why don’t we scrap them all?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Repaints will probably start around the time that First decides to revert to local liveries elsewhere. :lol:

It seems somewhat irrelevant as operator liveries seem likely to be replaced by the vanity of franchise area liveries after the next election anyway.
I am not aware that Cornwall is planning franchising.

I presume this is it then, albeit in a typically unfinished First bus state.
I've seen a photo somewhere of a vinyled South Yorkshire one. It looks pretty smart, but the shame is no local names - just rather large "First Bus" names on the sides.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
I am not aware that Cornwall is planning franchising
Cornwall is the pilot area for the other option of enhanced partnerships which is proving a success in my opinion. Devon has also decided to go down the enhanced partnership route with the new Devonbus brand. Timetables and leaflets are all in the same style as stagecoach 10456 that was unveiled at the Devon county show

farwest

The livery sounds like the final death knell to the good local First Kernow. With small vehicles on the Tinner and U1 leaving passengers behind and the end of clock face timetables after the last change I think First group is losing the plot.

Goldfish62

Established Member
With small vehicles on the Tinner and U1 leaving passengers behind
And the Land's End Coaster being cut back so much that passengers are left in the middle of nowhere to wait two hours for the next bus and hoping that too isn't full.

Norwich B9s 36167 and 36169 are currently on their way to Cornwall.

Last edited: