• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There are two possible dates for the introduction of a 'fast' Bath routes The definite one is the X41 from April 1983 joint Bristol and Wilts and Dorset, subsequently renumbered X4.

I did recall that (though before my time). Think the X41 was formed of the old 241 Salisbury to Trowbridge and the direct Trowbridge to Bath via Sally in the Woods (number ?). I'm guessing it was an hourly quick service whilst the main 339 was retained but whether it was reduced to compensate, you're better placed than I.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whiteway215

Established Member
Some Bath observations today
53820 in new blue on the 6
66881/2 in new blue on the 5. Also on the 5 noted were 63076 and 66354/5
53819 on the 4
42939 on 267
66356 on U2 (63076 was on U2 yesterday.

Bristol_Buses

Apparently the B7Ls moving to Leeds Bramley are 3 from Bath and 3 from Bristol. (The MV02 Plates) so i assume the one with the Heart Bristol branding is going.

carlberry

Established Member
I did recall that (though before my time). Think the X41 was formed of the old 241 Salisbury to Trowbridge and the direct Trowbridge to Bath via Sally in the Woods (number ?). I'm guessing it was an hourly quick service whilst the main 339 was retained but whether it was reduced to compensate, you're better placed than I.

A few snapshots!
Mid 1970s:
339 every 15 mins via keynsham (With FLFs, how things should be!)

1982:
339 every 30 mins, 809 every 30 mins limited stop but still via Keynsham (and via Lower Birstol Road) but NOT stopping at Temple Meads. I suspect (but have no proof) that this may have been a last gasp by BR to object to the licence.

April 1983:
338/339 every 20 mins (338 via Lower Bristol Road one an hour, other two 339s)
X41 Bristol-Salisbury every hour (to Warminster, 2 hourly Salisbury

1995:
X3 Bristol-Bath-Frome, hourly
X39 Bath-Bristol 3 an hour but every 15 mins with X3
X4 Bath-Salisbury
X38 Bathford/Combe Down-Temple Meads-Dingles(Clifton)-Bristol (peak M-F journeys)

Whiteway215

Established Member
A few snapshots!
Mid 1970s:
339 every 15 mins via keynsham (With FLFs, how things should be!)

1982:
339 every 30 mins, 809 every 30 mins limited stop but still via Keynsham (and via Lower Birstol Road) but NOT stopping at Temple Meads. I suspect (but have no proof) that this may have been a last gasp by BR to object to the licence.

April 1983:
338/339 every 20 mins (338 via Lower Bristol Road one an hour, other two 339s)
X41 Bristol-Salisbury every hour (to Warminster, 2 hourly Salisbury

1995:
X3 Bristol-Bath-Frome, hourly
X39 Bath-Bristol 3 an hour but every 15 mins with X3
X4 Bath-Salisbury
X38 Bathford/Combe Down-Temple Meads-Dingles(Clifton)-Bristol (peak M-F journeys)

Carl, thanks for the reminder about the X38. I used it from Combe Down sometimes to get to Bristol. If my memory serves me correctly it was 0626 and 0723 from Combe Down. When I used it the passengers usually consisted of me and a local bus driver using it as a staff bus. But the big attraction was the opportunity to travel by Bristol VR.
Was it introduced partly to encourage passengers from the outer areas of Bath to use the service to Bristol without having to change buses at the bus station? I can't remember how long it lasted. (Sorry to go on!)

diffywood

Carl, thanks for the reminder about the X38. I used it from Combe Down sometimes to get to Bristol. If my memory serves me correctly it was 0626 and 0723 from Combe Down. When I used it the passengers usually consisted of me and a local bus driver using it as a staff bus. But the big attraction was the opportunity to travel by Bristol VR.
Was it introduced partly to encourage passengers from the outer areas of Bath to use the service to Bristol without having to change buses at the bus station? I can't remember how long it lasted. (Sorry to go on!)

according bvbg website

X38 Bristol-Bath Badgerline 1/4/1992-11/1/1997

BBC

So according to some at LH many of the buses headinf out in the coming months will be single decks, I'm not really sure where all these 70/71s are going to go!

THarris123

Established Member
66352/3/6 have left for Leeds

Of what it sounds like April will be very interesting - lots of vehicle movements happening going on rumours.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Have to wait and see. I only get told off when announcing rumours anyway.

Now then.... You don't get told off (unless you think you're a child). The issue, from my perspective, has been two fold

• Believing (perhaps slavishly) what a driver has told you - i.e. it must be true
  • Not performing a rigorous review of what has been told - i.e. what is the likelihood of x or y happening?

I might add that you're not alone in either of those traits ;)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It was said that 5 are leaving in the next few weeks for Leeds I think. And yeah I assume it's the B7ls.

It is sounding like the B7Ls are being concentrated in West Yorkshire (the lucky souls).

In a way, I'll sort of miss them as they've been a part of travelling around the South West for a good few years whether it be:

• 66350-6 worked the Portway P&R, a spell at Bath (mainly 272/X72 IIRC), then to Bridgwater for the 21, and then to Bath for the 5/231
  • 60895/910-8 working the 7 at Weston, then the 28 at Taunton, and then various examples again working the 21 at Bridgwater

That said, I won't miss the seating :o

vicbury

It is sounding like the B7Ls are being concentrated in West Yorkshire (the lucky souls).

In a way, I'll sort of miss them as they've been a part of travelling around the South West for a good few years whether it be:

• 66350-6 worked the Portway P&R, a spell at Bath (mainly 272/X72 IIRC), then to Bridgwater for the 21, and then to Bath for the 5/231
  • 60895/910-8 working the 7 at Weston, then the 28 at Taunton, and then various examples again working the 21 at Bridgwater

They were also regulars on the X39 during their first spell in Bath. Travelling between Bath and St Brendan's in Brislington, we used to prefer them as there were two groups of four seats at the rear where two pairs of seats face backwards. More social than having everyone facing forward!

I also prefer them in general for having a lower floor level than the B7RLEs - the back row in particular of those is not a pleasant experience.

Private Baxter

Established Member

Agree the seating is not nice. Hadn't realised they had once worked the 7 - must have been some time ago. I would say that 66350-6 were generally better than the others in the region, I might suggest more care had been taken with them although they did benefit from a repaint and spruce up just a few years ago so on the whole were tidier.
They were also regulars on the X39 during their first spell in Bath. Travelling between Bath and St Brendan's in Brislington, we used to prefer them as there were two groups of four seats at the rear where two pairs of seats face backwards. More social than having everyone facing forward!

I also prefer them in general for having a lower floor level than the B7RLEs - the back row in particular of those is not a pleasant experience.
That is one thing I always liked about the R reg B10BLEs, and that describes my experiences coming back from Strode, or evenings out, and was something their subsequent replacements lacked. To me it was something quite luxurious!
Have to wait and see. I only get told off when announcing rumours anyway.
In my view there is nothing wrong with sharing a rumour, so long as it is expressed soley as one.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Agree the seating is not nice. Hadn't realised they had once worked the 7 - must have been some time ago. I would say that 66350-6 were generally better than the others in the region, I might suggest more care had been taken with them although they did benefit from a repaint and spruce up just a few years ago so on the whole were tidier.

That is one thing I always liked about the R reg B10BLEs, and that describes my experiences coming back from Strode, or evenings out, and was something their subsequent replacements lacked. To me it was something quite luxurious!

In my view there is nothing wrong with sharing a rumour, so long as it is expressed soley as one.

The Weston B7Ls were evidently in 2009 https://flic.kr/p/a8HXkA 66350-6 did have the paint job - inside they were still very tired ?????? I've mentioned it on here before but I enjoyed a trip on 66104 in mid 2014 from Dursley to Horfield one evening and despite its years, it was a lovely machine and yes, almost luxurious.

The problem with rumours are that they begin to be believed as fact. IIRC, Buses magazine about 20+ years ago said that unless you had a corroborated source, they weren't interested as they were sick of having to print corrections and apologies. Take just a few of the rumours.... Some are scarcely credible. We could easily say....

"I've heard from a driver that First are probably going to sell Bath - makes sense as Go Ahead are busy buying and FSA are losing money etc" - IT IS, OF COURSE, PIFFLE.

Bit different is to question the future of FSA's operations or perhaps to suggest sensible ways in which they might improve things. As long as it's couched in the right way, we should have debate. That's the point of the message board but it doesn't mean that we let the handbrake off totally and accept any old tosh.

Last edited:

Private Baxter

Established Member
The Weston B7Ls were evidently in 2009 https://flic.kr/p/a8HXkA 66350-6 did have the paint job - inside they were still very tired �� I've mentioned it on here before but I enjoyed a trip on 66104 in mid 2014 from Dursley to Horfield one evening and despite its years, it was a lovely machine and yes, almost luxurious.

The problem with rumours are that they begin to be believed as fact. IIRC, Buses magazine about 20+ years ago said that unless you had a corroborated source, they weren't interested as they were sick of having to print corrections and apologies. Take just a few of the rumours.... Some are scarcely credible. We could easily say....

"I've heard from a driver that First are probably going to sell Bath - makes sense as Go Ahead are busy buying and FSA are losing money etc" - IT IS, OF COURSE, PIFFLE.

Bit different is to question the future of FSA's operations or perhaps to suggest sensible ways in which they might improve things. As long as it's couched in the right way, we should have debate. That's the point of the message board but it doesn't mean that we let the handbrake off totally and accept any old tosh.
Thanks for the image. That must have been a brief interlude period, in which 66102-9/15 (or most of them) had gone to LH and MH, but before 66716-26/934-6 had move up. 60918 had clearly just been repainted and looked quite good. And the route branding actually looks ok. Simple, yet effective. Far better than the tacky red strip which adorned the B7RLEs until just a few months ago!
I remember you mentioning your journey with 66104, and how you tought it the best. Sadly I didn't get an opportunity to use it during its last few years. Apparently it is still knocking around as a trainer but don't think I've actually seen it since it was withdrawn at the end of 2015.

Interesting points you make about sharing rumours. But I would be quite interested to hear what people have heard 'as rumour', so long as it made clear that it isn't solid information released from a higher power! ;)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I have to confess that I thought it was longer ago than 2009 but the arrival of the 59 plates at Wells led to a number of moves incl those onto the 28.

Reporting of rumours is a tricky one. We do hear some stuff that is kosher but then plans change. Some is genuine and comes to pass.

However, we also get opinion masquerading as fact or some stuff which is tosh. There's a balance to be struck and merely reporting rumour without any rigour or examination is what grinds my gears.

Martin2012

I got off that about half an hour ago. I must say a decker on the route really makes a difference. Normally the darts get absolutely rammed.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

So longs some good ones are coming up, as the Halifax based ALX 400's on the which are used on either the Sowerby 579's or the Bradford via Brighouse 571's are getting a bit long in the tooth and could do with being replaced. The ALX400's should realistially be used on school contracts.

If they're sent to Leeds, then its possible that they'll be going to Hunslet again (the other being Bramley).

I enjoy seeing these "new" buses, especially when they've retained the Bath, Bristol and Travelwest ads as some of the previous arrivals have.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Double deckers generally only appear on the 5s in Bristol if they are short of Darts or to replace a broken down single decker on a single only route if the only spare bus is a double decker.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
So longs some good ones are coming up, as the Halifax based ALX 400's on the which are used on either the Sowerby 579's or the Bradford via Brighouse 571's are getting a bit long in the tooth and could do with being replaced. The ALX400's should realistially be used on school contracts.

If they're sent to Leeds, then its possible that they'll be going to Hunslet again (the other being Bramley).

I enjoy seeing these "new" buses, especially when they've retained the Bath, Bristol and Travelwest ads as some of the previous arrivals have.

66352/3/6 are all pictured on Flickr at Bramley depot. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Martin2012

Double deckers generally only appear on the 5s in Bristol if they are short of Darts or to replace a broken down single decker on a single only route if the only spare bus is a double decker.

Similar to the 46 then. Mainly single deck but double deckers occasionally appear(with breakdowns explaining away a few appearances)

Would the 5 route benefit from deckers or are single deckers on the whole adequate for this route?

I only use it as far as The Eastgate Centre so I'd be interested to find out, does it carry a good load to Fishponds and Downend and what is the most popular section of the route?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Similar to the 46 then. Mainly single deck but double deckers occasionally appear(with breakdowns explaining away a few appearances)

Would the 5 route benefit from deckers or are single deckers on the whole adequate for this route?

I only use it as far as The Eastgate Centre so I'd be interested to find out, does it carry a good load to Fishponds and Downend and what is the most popular section of the route?

I don't think so personally. There was a time during it's spell at Hengrove where it was full decker operated on a Sunday, which was a total waste of stock as I used it to get one of the Shaun the Sheep in Snuff Mills and the three Geminis in use had no more than six people on at any time.

I imagine the most popular section of the route is probably from the Centre to St Werburgh's. For Fishponds it is far quicker to get the much busier and frequent 48/48A/49 and for the Eastgate Centre the 24 is probably the best option.