• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

THarris123

Established Member
Interesting: thanks for posting. I wonder if the X6/X7 will gain newer vehicles (Enviro400s?) as per the X1/X3/X4 routes?

Dave

I think X1A is being renumbered X2 too from April.

At a guess id say 12 plates from Manchester?

Also that shows how X6 will now be run by Weston - X7 to Bristol, X6 to Clevedon and back and then X7 to Weston back.

Quite a clever idea, but might I just add that I thought of this idea in my last set of ideas.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
Im just going to leave this here (he says whilst lighting the fuse and running for cover):
https://travelwest.info/bus/investing-north-somerset-bus-services

It's good to know that First still employ a manager in charge of anal renumberings! (It could be worse, they might have moved to Argos or be in charge of road numbers!).

It's a shame nobody in their marketing deparrtment ever actually uses bus services (and difficult to understand why Mr Freemand hasnt put an end to this kind of crap), however I'm hoping that they're working on new leaflets to explain which X7 timetable somebody wants when they they're offered two different ones in Bristol and another one to explain why an X prefix to a number means a fast service in 98% of the country, but just means it's a bog standard bus service in North Somerset. And likely to be renumbered within the next 90 days just to make sure people dont get used to it.

Somebody in First Woe owns shares in BMW!

THarris123

Established Member
It's good to know that First still employ a manager in charge of anal renumberings! (It could be worse, they might have moved to Argos or be in charge of road numbers!).

It's a shame nobody in their marketing deparrtment ever actually uses bus services (and difficult to understand why Mr Freemand hasnt put an end to this kind of crap), however I'm hoping that they're working on new leaflets to explain which X7 timetable somebody wants when they they're offered two different ones in Bristol and another one to explain why an X prefix to a number means a fast service in 98% of the country, but just means it's a bog standard bus service in North Somerset. And likely to be renumbered within the next 90 days just to make sure people dont get used to it.

Oh so true

THarris123

Established Member
You're a bit late - Andy Fear has already gone up like a "bottle of pop" on his blog ;)

Ah but Mr Fears blog isnt (unfortunately) a reliable source of information for changes happening, usually when it hits TravelWest, you know it's definitely decided on. I don't think I read anything in his blog about the renumbering anyway.

THarris123

Established Member
Just had a lovely trip back on 33963 on 1 from Cribbs to centre - so so nice after the solo and so much better than the Streetdeck I'm about to not enjoy.

Last thing to note is 47554 parked up in Bristol bus station waiting to go out on X1/A/X3/4

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Ah but Mr Fears blog isnt (unfortunately) a reliable source of information for changes happening, usually when it hits TravelWest, you know it's definitely decided on. I don't think I read anything in his blog about the renumbering anyway.

I think you'll find he's talking about the kickstart scheme and quoting the actual tender documents so I don't think you can say it isn't reliable information. His point is that such schemes are skewed in favour of larger operators especially First.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

I hope they don't look on this message board or they'll obtain a load of other crazy ideas for renumbering services

THarris123

Established Member
I think you'll find he's talking about the kickstart scheme and quoting the actual tender documents so I don't think you can say it isn't reliable information. His point is that such schemes are skewed in favour of larger operators especially First.

Very true. He's as reliable as any i guess. He does sum up things very well though.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Hardly any passengers on 19 that's why. It works off Bath 2.
I beg to differ. I used one travelling from Cribbs one Friday evening not too long ago, and it was full and standing leaving the mall.
Im just going to leave this here (he says whilst lighting the fuse and running for cover):
https://travelwest.info/bus/investing-north-somerset-bus-services
Interesting. And thanks! I think the renumbering of X6A to X7 has always been on the cards, along with (presumably) X1A to X2, which many here have predicted.
I guess this "fresh new look" means the end of Express Yourself. Positive changes coming at Weston depot I reckon.

Agree that most renumberings are unnecessary, although I've never liked the current X1A/X6A malarky. It's clumsy, a bit of a mouth full and I bet some passengers even find it a bit confusing. So I don't take issue with these being re-numbered too much, and like many I always saw the current numbers as short term anyway. Of course, had they just stuck with 352....!:lol:
But it might be too soon after the previous X7 became Severn Express and I wonder how many still refer to that as X7? So having two (unofficially) at Bristol bus station could lead to all kinds of issues. And yes I know most of these routes don't really qualify for an X prefix in the traditional sense, but that seems to be the thing now, whether it's fast or not.

carlberry

Established Member
I b
But it might be too soon after the previous X7 became Severn Express and I wonder how many still refer to that as X7? So having two (unofficially) at Bristol bus station could lead to all kinds of issues. And yes I know most of these routes don't really qualify for an X prefix in the traditional sense, but that seems to be the thing now, whether it's fast or not.

As the current X7 leaflet is still available in Bristol bus station I'm not sure when First intend stopping refering to the previous X7 as the X7! (However it's likely they've already identified another X7 to replace the next one anyway).

Private Baxter

Established Member
As the current X7 leaflet is still available in Bristol bus station I'm not sure when First intend stopping refering to the previous X7 as the X7! (However it's likely they've already identified another X7 to replace the next one anyway).
Very true. There have been a few X7s over the years. I still refer to Severn Express as X7 as well. Was a very good number for it. Worthy of the X prefix. ;)
On a separate note, just been past Muller Road. Four buses left. Wonder what the plan is.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Very true. There have been a few X7s over the years. I still refer to Severn Express as X7 as well. Was a very good number for it. Worthy of the X prefix. ;)
On a separate note, just been past Muller Road. Four buses left. Wonder what the plan is.

What was still there? The Excels?

I have my suspicion that MR's future will not involve buses

Private Baxter

Established Member
What was still there? The Excels?

I have my suspicion that MR's future will not involve buses
I was thinking the same. But who knows. I admit it could be seen as a bit of an eye sore to people who aren't interested in buses!
I was on the 70 and wasn't fully light so I'm afraid I couldn't really tell what they were.

Class 33

Established Member
So the Eclipse single deckers will be departing Lawrence Hill to somewhere else soon. Which buses will be replacing these? New single deckers or double deckers?

Also which buses are typically on the 37 on weekdays now?

Private Baxter

Established Member
So the Eclipse single deckers will be departing Lawrence Hill to somewhere else soon. Which buses will be replacing these? New single deckers or double deckers?

Would that be the WX54/WX55 B7RLEs?
The 37 is dart operated.

THarris123

Established Member

No the B7Ls are going. There's still a few there.

B7RLEs are staying.

Its a mixture on 37 - usually 53 reg B7TLs, Darts, sometimes a Streetlite and sometimes a B9.

Private Baxter

Established Member

B7RLEs are staying.

Its a mixture on 37 - usually 53 reg B7TLs, Darts, sometimes a Streetlite and sometimes a B9.
It's become the new 319!
Actually I think there is some interworking between the two services which explains why deckers and other bits and pieces show up.
Glad it's B7Ls going rather than B7RLes. Although only 66934/6/56 are allocated to LH anyway, the rest are MH. (FWIW).
How do we know about the B7Ls leaving anyway?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It's become the new 319!
Actually I think there is some interworking between the two services which explains why deckers and other bits and pieces show up.
Glad it's B7Ls going rather than B7RLes. Although only 66934/6/56 are allocated to LH anyway, the rest are MH. (FWIW).
How do we know about the B7Ls leaving anyway?

The distinction between MH and LH isn't really that much now the licenses are sorted out. In fact, those B7RLEs are fairly frequent visitors on the 178.

Those B7Ls have been confirmed by sources in both Yorkshire and down here as moving. The future for the remainder - well, not confirmed but you get the impression that the long term plan is to move them out.

Notice that 66881 has already had a prang with Barbie blue paint being used to touch up a corner ;)

swifty

Established Member

B7RLEs are staying.

It's never B9TLs, they don't go under Willsbridge bridge 'legally'. Mainly Darts or B7TL/ALX400s with the odd B7/Eclipse or Streetlite these days. It does interwork with the 38 and 19/19a so explains the mixture.

Last edited:

swifty

Established Member
The distinction between MH and LH isn't really that much now the licenses are sorted out. In fact, those B7RLEs are fairly frequent visitors on the 178.

Yeah the X6 seems to be B9 operated now with the X46/7 having visits from the 53 reg ALX400s this past week. The 177 also seems to be a fairly safe bet for the B7Ls as well as the 16, but for how much longer!

Last edited:

Private Baxter

Established Member

Those B7Ls have been confirmed by sources in both Yorkshire and down here as moving. The future for the remainder - well, not confirmed but you get the impression that the long term plan is to move them out.

Notice that 66881 has already had a prang with Barbie blue paint being used to touch up a corner ;)
Very true about MH/LH distinction. I was going by 'official' allocations but I'm practice they appear on each others services all the time.
As for the B7Ls, they're aregulars on 16 and 77 so might be seeing something else on there before too long.

THarris123

Established Member
Weston are due more purple ALX400 B7TLs for the summer. They are having their roofs redone (as they leak), seats redone and branded up for 20.

Also a bit strange today in Weston:
42948 and 33830 on 20
42947 7
47552 3

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Weston are due more purple ALX400 B7TLs for the summer. They are having their roofs redone (as they leak), seats redone and branded up for 20.

Also a bit strange today in Weston:
42948 and 33830 on 20
42947 7
47552 3

Redoing the seats seems rather extravagant given their age, and wonder what happened to the rumour of open topping some? That would sort the leaking roof out :lol:

In more seriousness, if the bendis are heading away too, it leaves the Unibus fleet a bit short