• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Streetcar 19010 arrived in Yeovil depot yesterday, thought it might just be refueling, but its still there today.

No its not April 1st.

Here you go to prove it's existence

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140098649@N02/35217807663/

My thought was storage as it has been sat at Eden (?) but perhaps FSW could confirm it's future. Mind you, could always provide much needed capacity on the Yeovil town routes (joke)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whiteway215

Established Member
Here you go to prove it's existence

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140098649@N02/35217807663/

My thought was storage as it has been sat at Eden (?) but perhaps FSW could confirm it's future. Mind you, could always provide much needed capacity on the Yeovil town routes (joke)

I believe 19005 and 19010 allegedly were heading to Eden but did either ever enter service? Come to that did 005 ever get there? As GW says perhaps FSW or one of our Kernow friends might enlighten us.

swifty

Established Member
I believe 19005 and 19010 allegedly were heading to Eden but did either ever enter service? Come to that did 005 ever get there? As GW says perhaps FSW or one of our Kernow friends might enlighten us.

19010 had been at Eden and has seen use briefly(?) before it then headed up to the Junction 24 depot at Bridgwater.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Not a surprise. Maybe they'll just fund some extra bus services like most housing developers have had to do.

The service that would have been most affected by the proposed cable car was First Bath route 2 (Combe Down - Bus Station) Until last November this was a half hourly frequency but a second Solo was put on and is now twenty minutes. The route was changed to serve more of the city centre before heading to the bus station.The developer Curo. Housing have stated they have put in the cash to provide the higher frequency.

Blackpudding

Bendies are coming off the road up there, so its probably to source vehicles from each company to replace them. Manchester is currently very short of vehicles with the bendies off the road.

Slightly off the topic THarris123 but with the schools finishing this weekend and other service reductions I would find it hard to believe that they are short of buses. Perhaps before but not now. I would think the requirement for replacements is led by the fact that the new Bolton Interchange opens in early September and I believe many of the stands are 'Drive in, reverse out'. Happy to be corrected though!

83G/84D

Established Member

I never saw 19005 there, although 19010 did I never saw it in use.

THarris123

Established Member
Slightly off the topic THarris123 but with the schools finishing this weekend and other service reductions I would find it hard to believe that they are short of buses. Perhaps before but not now. I would think the requirement for replacements is led by the fact that the new Bolton Interchange opens in early September and I believe many of the stands are 'Drive in, reverse out'. Happy to be corrected though!

That is very true. But why send just one? Could have sent a small batch which would probably be replaced by the changes/new stock in September.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I never saw 19005 there, although 19010 did I never saw it in use.

Thanks 83G/84D. Travel West Yorkshire Forum reports it was planned for 19005 to come down as well but it never happened. 19005 is currently sitting at Leeds Bramley Depot.

swifty

Established Member
One for Swifty- was 37351 involved in a fatality at LH and so swapped with 37318?

According to Steve Whites archive it went to Weston in January 2012 and 32286 went the other way in Feb as well as 37315-8/51 heading to over to Hengrove from Weston.

Something may have come from Hengrove to cover during late 2011?

37351 had previously been in Weymouth over summer 2011 so maybe that's when 37607 heading to LH?

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
According to Steve Whites archive it went to Weston in January 2012 and 32286 went the other way in Feb as well as 37315-8/51 heading to over to Hengrove from Weston.

Something may have come from Hengrove to cover during late 2011?

37351 had previously been in Weymouth over summer 2011 so maybe that's when 37607 heading to LH?

I certainly didn't remember all that!! :D

As an aside, 32074 is now in the Avonmouth paintshop. Who knows what it will come out branded for (if it all)

THarris123

Established Member
New timetables are up on Traveline.

In Wells - 126 changes - times practically all change. Additional journey from Wells at 5.35 mon-fri and 5.55 on Sat and from Weston at 19.05 mon-sat. Wells will be running all of 126. No change to Sundays unfortunately.

In Bath: -
5 - upped back to every 10 mins
21 - frequency dropped to every 15 mins off peak and service extended to 22.30
41 - service extended to 22.19
39/X39 - few minor timing changes. Appears to be less 39 journeys from Bristol
38 - withdrawn
19/A - timing changes
37 - timing changes
267 - timing changes. Now doing a loop in Frome around Sainsburys again.
171 - not the best of timetables. Doing one loop around Peasedown in the mornings and another in the afternoons. Then there is a single journey at 23.50 on Fridays and Saturdays to solve some of the overcrowding on 172 (which won't work).

THarris123

Established Member
Changes to Weston:-
3 - no longer doing the West Wick loop or doing the Bournville shorts. Instead frequency increased to every 15 mins on whole route. pvr 3.
5 - will be doing the West Wick Loop instead of 3. pvr 3.
7 - timing changes. Frequency dropped off peak to every 12 mins. pvr still 10.
X1/2 - timing changes.
X7 - timing changes. still doing the same route but has a bit more time. I hope they use smaller vehicles for X7 and work it alone if they're keeping it as the same route.
X6 - timing changes.
X3/4 timing changes.

Changes in Bristol:-
5, 36, 50, 75, 76, 90, 46, X46, 8, 9.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Changes to Weston:-
3 - no longer doing the West Wick loop or doing the Bournville shorts. Instead frequency increased to every 15 mins on whole route. pvr 3.
5 - will be doing the West Wick Loop instead of 3. pvr 3.
7 - timing changes. Frequency dropped off peak to every 12 mins. pvr still 10.
X1/2 - timing changes.
X7 - timing changes. still doing the same route but has a bit more time. I hope they use smaller vehicles for X7 and work it alone if they're keeping it as the same route.
X6 - timing changes.
X3/4 timing changes.

Changes in Bristol:-
5, 36, 50, 75, 76, 90, 46, X46, 8, 9.
Apparently the X6 and X7 will be ran together using deckers to ensure Clevedon has a decker on services which need it, which are currently Streetlites. The Streetlites should stay on the X8 and X9s.

The W3 will need more than 3 vehicles to operate it with a 15 minute frequency over the entire route. Currently there is 5 buses on the main route, plus the 2 short workings. In the past it was ran with 4 or 5 on a 15 minute frequency allowing enough running and layover time.

I would imagine one of the E200s used on the Bournville shorts will be put on the 5s instead to do the West Wick portion. Again allowing suitable running and layover time.

Service 349 will be operated under contract to First in the same manner as the X8. Abus will operate all Monday to Friday journeys except the last journey of the day which will be ran by LH along with a Saturday swevice.

Also, stops will be moving at Temple Meads. The 9 will be moving back up to the 8 stop along with the 72, which should be all single operated again. The A1s will be moved onto the incline in both directions in readiness for when the new deckers arrive.

Last edited:

Private Baxter

Established Member
New timetables are up on Traveline.

In Wells - 126 changes - times practically all change. Additional journey from Wells at 5.35 mon-fri and 5.55 on Sat and from Weston at 19.05 mon-sat. Wells will be running all of 126. No change to Sundays unfortunately.

In Bath: -
5 - upped back to every 10 mins
21 - frequency dropped to every 15 mins off peak and service extended to 22.30
41 - service extended to 22.19
39/X39 - few minor timing changes. Appears to be less 39 journeys from Bristol
38 - withdrawn
19/A - timing changes
37 - timing changes
267 - timing changes. Now doing a loop in Frome around Sainsburys again.
171 - not the best of timetables. Doing one loop around Peasedown in the mornings and another in the afternoons. Then there is a single journey at 23.50 on Fridays and Saturdays to solve some of the overcrowding on 172 (which won't work).
Interesting that they have decided to take away the 38. Wonder if that has more to do with a new venture with Abus and their 349.
Good to see 126 going fully back to Wells. Hopefully that means they will be getting one of 66723-6/34.

ooo

Also, stops will be moving at Temple Meads. The 9 will be moving back up to the 8 stop along with the 72, which should be all single operated again. The A1s will be moved onto the incline in both directions in readiness for when the new deckers arrive.

Do you know what's happening to the 72 deckers then? Also when are the airport deckers meant to be arriving?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

D2007wsm

Established Member
Do you know what's happening to the 72 deckers then? Also when are the airport deckers meant to be arriving?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Haven't a clue what the electric deckers are going to be used on. Without a service going to UWE, there are no services where they can be charged in service.

Apparently, the A1 deckers are due roundabout Septemeber but no date for entry to service.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Possibly or UWE would just mean they would have to be transferred to Lawrence Hill

Assuming that they will still be used in electric mode, you would either have to move the charging equipment at UWE or the depot (or both). Given that UWE have supported the project, you would assume that they would want the equipment would stay there.

To cover off the other changes:

The 171 changes have prompted a local response and they are hoping that they can get it put back to the original route (as per 175) at some point. Not certain why you wouldn't think that essentially duplicating the 172 would not work? It's actually the most sensible thing to do though I'd probably do just that - simply duplicate it to the Red Post without making it a separate service.

Will Wells get 66726 (already been refurbished) rather than painting and refurbing another example? Who knows but might be nice to see it running through the countryside!

As for the 38 going, it probably reflects the strength of the 349 and the amount of trade the A4 has pinched off First.

Last edited:

matt_splat

Assuming that they will still be used in electric mode, you would either have to move the charging equipment at UWE or the depot (or both). Given that UWE have supported the project, you would assume that they would want the equipment would stay there.

To cover off the other changes:

The 171 changes have prompted a local response and they are hoping that they can get it put back to the original route (as per 175) at some point. Not certain why you wouldn't think that essentially duplicating the 172 would not work? It's actually the most sensible thing to do though I'd probably do just that - simply duplicate it to the Red Post without making it a separate service.

Will Wells get 66726 (already been refurbished) rather than painting and refurbing another example? Who knows but might be nice to see it running through the countryside!

As for the 38 going, it probably reflects the strength of the 349 and the amount of trade the A4 has pinched off First.

as a user of the 172 i really can't see this way of reliving the evening demand working.....

Now i regularly use this service with Friends who live beyond peasedown who i will of course want to travel back with and i'm sure others will do the same so they ofcourse will all use the 172 ideally a extra service on fridays and saturdays at say 00:20 would work well

also the friday and saturday 171 service will provide a link to the circle bath hospital for just after midnight.....

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
as a user of the 172 i really can't see this way of reliving the evening demand working.....

Now i regularly use this service with Friends who live beyond peasedown who i will of course want to travel back with and i'm sure others will do the same so they ofcourse will all use the 172 ideally a extra service on fridays and saturdays at say 00:20 would work well

also the friday and saturday 171 service will provide a link to the circle bath hospital for just after midnight.....

Put it on at 00:20 and who is to say that it won't be overloaded and the 23:50 not be largely empty. They've done their sums and see that a run to PSJ will suffice. PSJ passengers wanting to travel with their MSN friends is all very laudable but can't see how First can plan for that.

Take your point about serving the hospital though!!

Private Baxter

Established Member

66726 is a reasonable suggestion, and agree it would be great to see it running on routes to Shepton and Bath as well as Weston.

In other news, a few Bath buses are out working rail replacement services between Oxford and Didcot, and are expected to be based there all week. Noted today were two sreetlites, 65624 (or whatever that Scania's number is) and blue liveried 66883.