• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

BPWUser1

36814 on the 376 today (if you mean that’s one of the other two).

10175/6 were out on the U1.

I'm pretty sure 36815 was on the Lansdown P&R today, 36824 definately was.

I did see 39005 on the Newbridge P&R for the first time in ages today. Can someone confirm why it went back to Wrightbus recently?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D2007wsm

Established Member
Just checked, Weston currently have 8 Streetlites of which 5 are not branded for Excel, this means only 3 would need to be found to convert the 3s and 5s to these. I'm sure somewhere, 3 can be sourced from somewhere. With 47557 retained to use on these and to act as spare for the A3

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Just checked, Weston currently have 8 Streetlites of which 5 are not branded for Excel, this means only 3 would need to be found to convert the 3s and 5s to these. I'm sure somewhere, 3 can be sourced from somewhere. With 47557 retained to use on these and to act as spare for the A3

What happened to the rumoured additional service from Bedminster to the Airport... was it just a rumour?

D2007wsm

Established Member
I think this will become clear once the M2 metrobus route starts. Because only once that has been completed can the A1 be rerouted and the new A2 introduced.
Exactly, until the A1 is rerouted nothing official will be released about what will replace it through Bedminster. This area will still need to be served as it shows a high patronage from Airline and Airport staff, to leave them 'high and dry' as so to speak would not be good to say the least.

freetoview33

Established Member
Exactly, until the A1 is rerouted nothing official will be released about what will replace it through Bedminster. This area will still need to be served as it shows a high patronage from Airline and Airport staff, to leave them 'high and dry' as so to speak would not be good to say the least.
I guess the minimum service would be a few A2 services from Bedminster - Bristol Airport at commuter hours but I'd like to think it will be Bus Station - Bristol Airport every 30 mins all day and take over the night time service too. Then the A1 being every 10/12 mins from like 5/6am to 10/11pm.

But watch this space.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I guess the minimum service would be a few A2 services from Bedminster - Bristol Airport at commuter hours but I'd like to think it will be Bus Station - Bristol Airport every 30 mins all day and take over the night time service too. Then the A1 being every 10/12 mins from like 5/6am to 10/11pm.

But watch this space.

Thanks Gents - knew it had been discussed. Was wondering if 47557/8 would be so employed - know it’s rather an assumption based on the livery!

D2007wsm

Established Member
Thanks Gents - knew it had been discussed. Was wondering if 47557/8 would be so employed - know it’s rather an assumption based on the livery!
That's is what was thought as they have simply been debranded but remain in airport livery.

47557 currently usually work is the A2, but if required it is the perfect substitute for the A3.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
That's is what was thought as they have simply been debranded but remain in airport livery.

47557 currently usually work is the A2, but if required it is the perfect substitute for the A3.

It may have been suggested that they would be used for a new A2 for Bemmie to Airport? I think someone intimated that. In that case, one of the other Streetlites (the neutral mticket one) would be the A3 spare?

Private Baxter

Established Member
I think Bath have a few surplus streetlites, as I don't think the pvr of the 1 is as high as the number available so a couple could potentially be replaced with something else.

D2007wsm

Established Member
It may have been suggested that they would be used for a new A2 for Bemmie to Airport? I think someone intimated that. In that case, one of the other Streetlites (the neutral mticket one) would be the A3 spare?
Possibly, but the Airport are not fans of non airport livery buses turning up, the exception was when the Urban Scanias were used as an interim measure. Although an Excel Streetlite did appear one night at the Airport.

With regards to the new service through Bedminster, who knows what it'll entail whether it is a through service to the airport using 1 vehicle or a shuttle service to meet up with the A1 at a suitable location using 1 vehicle. 47557 and 47558 are the obvious candidates, but being an airport contract the choice of vehicle is down to them. They were perfect as an interim measure on the A3. Personally, I think a couple of the old B7RLEs, refurbished with there luggage racks would of been good.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Possibly, but the Airport are not fans of non airport livery buses turning up, the exception was when the Urban Scanias were used as an interim measure. Although an Excel Streetlite did appear one night at the Airport.

With regards to the new service through Bedminster, who knows what it'll entail whether it is a through service to the airport using 1 vehicle or a shuttle service to meet up with the A1 at a suitable location using 1 vehicle. 47557 and 47558 are the obvious candidates, but being an airport contract the choice of vehicle is down to them. They were perfect as an interim measure on the A3. Personally, I think a couple of the old B7RLEs, refurbished with there luggage racks would of been good.

What was used when the Streetlites were on the A3? There must have been days when they were VOR if only for inspection.

Class 33

Established Member
A 70/71 branded Streetdeck on the 1 today! And also spotted on the 71 was a dual doored Enviro 400 MMC.

D2007wsm

Established Member
What was used when the Streetlites were on the A3? There must have been days when they were VOR if only for inspection.
A Urban Streetlite was used, as this was a new service and the Streetlites were a interim measure until the arrival of the E200MMCs it was accepted that there was no other option.

Now the E200MMCs have been introduced, it is generally expected where ever possible 47557 is used as it is in base Flyer livery, with a different Streetlite or Dart on the A2. If this isn't possible, a Urban Streetlite will be used as a last resort.

Generally, the downtime on the E200MMCs is kept to a minimum and maintenance carried out as quickly as possible. The Streetlite will go out in the morning for several trips and then replaced with an E200MMC once complete.

This being a contract service, the choice of vehicle and livery is chosen by the customer, Bristol Airport. First have to abide by these terms as specificed in the contract.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
A Urban Streetlite was used, as this was a new service and the Streetlites were a interim measure until the arrival of the E200MMCs it was accepted that there was no other option.

Now the E200MMCs have been introduced, it is generally expected where ever possible 47557 is used as it is in base Flyer livery, with a different Streetlite or Dart on the A2. If this isn't possible, a Urban Streetlite will be used as a last resort.

Generally, the downtime on the E200MMCs is kept to a minimum and maintenance carried out as quickly as possible. The Streetlite will go out in the morning for several trips and then replaced with an E200MMC once complete.

This being a contract service, the choice of vehicle and livery is chosen by the customer, Bristol Airport. First have to abide by these terms as specificed in the contract.

Thanks - I appreciate that First would have to meet the specifications as defined by the contract but just wondered how they had covered the period when there were only two liveried vehicles (I.e. pre e200mmc).

Whiteway215

Established Member
A few observations from Bath this afternoon.
The 4 appeared to be fully worked by long Streetlites.
The surviving Darts were about-42925/56 on the 3/3A, 42955 appeared to be spare in the bus station (I wonder how long these will stay around?)
The U2 in its final month of operation in this university year worked by 32006/7/15. 32008 on U5 and 32014 unusually on the U1. (Will any of the purple ones be needed at WM this summer and will they still be around to start a new uni year this September?)
10037 and 36813/5 working on U1. This is the first time I have seen 13 actually working in Bath, presumably because it's been used in Wells.
66886 has returned and noted on a Discover route.

Marcus Fryer

The surviving Darts were about-42925/56 on the 3/3A, 42955 appeared to be spare in the bus station (I wonder how long these will stay around?)
The U2 in its final month of operation in this university year worked by 32006/7/15. 32008 on U5 and 32014 unusually on the U1. (Will any of the purple ones be needed at WM this summer and will they still be around to start a new uni year this September?)
10037 and 36813/5 working on U1. This is the first time I have seen 13 actually working in Bath, presumably because it's been used in Wells.
Also 36816 was on the Newbridge P&R (21).
Non-Discover buses on the D routes included 63075 and 66934.

D2007wsm

Established Member
32003 is allready in Weston, but no dought 3 more will follow so that there are enough for the 1 and the 20.

I reckon 2 more will be sent away to have the roofs chopped off so Weston has 5 open tops, 3 for the 20 and 2 for the 1.

Tommy Walters

32003 is allready in Weston, but no dought 3 more will follow so that there are enough for the 1 and the 20.

I reckon 2 more will be sent away to have the roofs chopped off so Weston has 5 open tops, 3 for the 20 and 2 for the 1.

I reckon 32007 will be the only one that stays in Bath as it maintains the Unibus branding.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I reckon 32007 will be the only one that stays in Bath as it maintains the Unibus branding.

It may do but it looks pretty battered. I'm no betting man but I would suspect that the "W regs" except the open toppers will be gone by September.

I'm thinking that there may be one more open topper but would hope that d2007 is correct and that there are more.

D2007wsm

Established Member
It may do but it looks pretty battered. I'm no betting man but I would suspect that the "W regs" except the open toppers will be gone by September.

I'm thinking that there may be one more open topper but would hope that d2007 is correct and that there are more.
Two were actively being sought for the 1 before the service started, but we're not found.

33012 was intended as the third open top for the 20s and it was promoted on social media the 20 would be operated with 3 open tops and 2 closed tops over the summer.

32012 has subsequently had the vinyls changed to neutral 'Somerset's Coaster' branding minus any route maps, to act as a spare for the 1 and the 20. The intention is for the 1 to have 2 open tops fully branded up for that service.

I'm sure 2 W reg ALX400s could be spared and sent away, with the change in services following the introduction of the Metrobus and any other possible service changes, or if new vehicles are introduced, I'm sure some Geminis could be found to supplement the E400s and bendis on the U1 in Bath.

vicbury

First will forget the lessons of last October and the U2 will be operated by Streetlites this year :D

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Two were actively being sought for the 1 before the service started, but we're not found.

33012 was intended as the third open top for the 20s and it was promoted on social media the 20 would be operated with 3 open tops and 2 closed tops over the summer.

32012 has subsequently had the vinyls changed to neutral 'Somerset's Coaster' branding minus any route maps, to act as a spare for the 1 and the 20. The intention is for the 1 to have 2 open tops fully branded up for that service.

I'm sure 2 W reg ALX400s could be spared and sent away, with the change in services following the introduction of the Metrobus and any other possible service changes, or if new vehicles are introduced, I'm sure some Geminis could be found to supplement the E400s and bendis on the U1 in Bath.

I was thinking only of the extra summer vehicles being o/t - 3 for the 20 and 1 for the 1. However, there’s enough W regs to chop a few more and depreciation isn’t a major issue! The plan was supposed to be that some or all of these W regs would drop off fleet in 2018 though don’t know the impact of Metrobus delays on cascades. What will head to the U2 to replace them....as you say, there’s probably enough B7TLs to sort that.

See former First FHD 32810 is now with someone else (??) in First urban on schools work - seen on ring road near Kingswood.

carlberry

Established Member
However, there’s enough W regs to chop a few more and depreciation isn’t a major issue! The plan was supposed to be that some or all of these W regs would drop off fleet in 2018 though don’t know the impact of Metrobus delays on cascades.
I'm sure there was a period a few years ago that First didnt want to do any open top chopping because the cost of the actual chop had to be accounted for which meant that doing it on newer buses made more sense, however that then put up the depreciation!