• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Private Baxter

Established Member
One thing I've noticed on buses in Bristol, more so than anywhere else I've been in the country, is that passengers wait until the bus has come to a complete stop before standing up and alighting the bus. Personally I'm too scared to, because in Cardiff and London for example if you're not down the stairs ready in time you risk not getting off and the driver carrying on!

Obviously I'm not talking about the elderley/disabled or ternini of routes, where it's clear there isn't that risk, but last week I got the Metrobus from UWE and so many students were getting off and I had to wait at the foot of the stairs for at least sixty seconds until everybody had alighted (through the rear), although I appreciate that this was an anomaly with it being a busy service. This then held up the rest of us boarding, and as I was first on I made a note to the person behind me to say I couldn't move which thankfully she could see.

I know bus companies prioritise safety which is paramount but I do find it particularly annoying when younger people wait for the bus to stop, then collect their belongings, then go down the stairs and then alight. Whilst it's only sixty seconds which I'm not exactly going to lose sleep over, if that happens at every bus stop then buses lose time but also when people are boarding they then have to huddle in the corner by the front windscreen all because people have left it last minute. Honestly it is an absolute pet hate of mine and practice that I throughly discourage.
"For safety, always use the bell to request your stop, and remain seated until the bus is stationary. Thank you."
I guess people in Bristol are more obedient!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Private Baxter

Established Member
Can’t remember when it got extended to Wells (1993?) but the 29 never went to Wells but terminated in Glastonbury. In fact, SN had a small shed in the corner of the main car park (by the abbey) to garage their outbased vehicle for the predecessor to the 29
I dont know much about its history either but I suppose it was introduced as a more direct route between Wells, Glastonbury, Street and Taunton, rather than the super slow Badgerline route via Bridgwater. Perhaps there was growing demand at the time?

-Colly405-

Currently on 35164 (red, 'South Bristol') in the 70.

Surprised that with the lower number of vehicles required on a Sunday they haven't enough 70-branded or unbranded deckers at HE to run it without putting a wringpy-branded vehicle out?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Currently on 35164 (red, 'South Bristol') in the 70.

Surprised that with the lower number of vehicles required on a Sunday they haven't enough 70-branded or unbranded deckers at HE to run it without putting a wringpy-branded vehicle out?

Any bus is better than no bus I guess.

CD

While I was on the Brislington P&R on Saturday noticed 39401 on the 96.
Is this the first time it has worked on a weekend since being at Hengrove? Only ever seen it on M-F.

lx12ddo

So the 0545 U1 in Bath seems not to have run at all today. Leaving tens of students around the city waiting in -2 degrees for a ghost bus, I for one waited 25 mins before turning back for home. This is likely to have been the case for the bus before it too, meant to have started 0445. What measures does First have in place in the case that no driver shows up for 3/4am starts? It leaves a lot to be desired, especially during the second of two exam weeks!
(Note, 10169 has appeared last minute on the 0645 board, but this is no consolation for those who get up early and plan their day according to First's own timetable, in order to avoid the morning rush and queues!!)

AllanMacF

Seen heading along Brunel Way from the Cumberland Basin flyover this morning, and making a beautiful sight in the bright morning sun as it headed out on the X3 to Portishead ... President 32222! Of course, the tracker hasn't shown it at work since before Christmas. Even worse, it hasn't recorded 33072/074 or 090 as working since September, yet I photo'd each last week. But sometimes, Tracker does still come up trumps and today it enabled me to get over to Sea Mills Square to photo 30877 (I'll email you the photo, Bob!). People are right about Steve White recording 30936/45 as delicensed - in effect, then, two W-reg (32008/9) from Bath have displaced an X-reg and a 51-reg from LH. Got to keep the average age of the 3 & 4 up, haven't we?
A most unusual sighting in Westbury-on-Trym village at lunch-time - route 70/71-branded 35105 on the 1! I mean, it's not even a LH bus.

swifty

Established Member
Seen heading along Brunel Way from the Cumberland Basin flyover this morning, and making a beautiful sight in the bright morning sun as it headed out on the X3 to Portishead ... President 32222! Of course, the tracker hasn't shown it at work since before Christmas.

I too was most surprised to see it this morning on the X3 as well. It was crossing the centre and I deduced it’s tracking as 33829.

D2007wsm

Established Member
I think there was some problems in Weston this morning, with many buses deciding they didn’t want to play in the cold weather. It was a case of what started, went out!
I too was most surprised to see it this morning on the X3 as well. It was crossing the centre and I deduced it’s tracking as 33829.

BPWUser1

Saw some of the new buses today. There was a 'First' livered (well the same as buses like 36824, which followed it shortly afterwards) gas bus working what seemed like an extra T1 this evening on Bradley Stoke Way. Also saw 2 red livered new double deckers heading south on the M5 (approaching Cribbs) this afternoon.

Tommy Walters

Interesting observation on Steve's site. 36801/2 are heading in for a repaint (presumably something new for the X39) as well as being re-seated! No mention of 36806/21, however.

AB93

Saw some of the new buses today. There was a 'First' livered (well the same as buses like 36824, which followed it shortly afterwards) gas bus working what seemed like an extra T1 this evening on Bradley Stoke Way. Also saw 2 red livered new double deckers heading south on the M5 (approaching Cribbs) this afternoon.
39491 entered service last Thursday (16th), and 39409/10 today.

AB93

Interesting observation on Steve's site. 36801/2 are heading in for a repaint (presumably something new for the X39) as well as being re-seated! No mention of 36806/21, however.
36821 was the first to go for paint, about a fortnight ago.
36801 has been reseated but I'm pretty sure 802 has not been yet. Both are now at the paintshop.

36806 is still in service on the m3.

Class 33

Established Member
One thing I've noticed on buses in Bristol, more so than anywhere else I've been in the country, is that passengers wait until the bus has come to a complete stop before standing up and alighting the bus. Personally I'm too scared to, because in Cardiff and London for example if you're not down the stairs ready in time you risk not getting off and the driver carrying on!

Obviously I'm not talking about the elderley/disabled or ternini of routes, where it's clear there isn't that risk, but last week I got the Metrobus from UWE and so many students were getting off and I had to wait at the foot of the stairs for at least sixty seconds until everybody had alighted (through the rear), although I appreciate that this was an anomaly with it being a busy service. This then held up the rest of us boarding, and as I was first on I made a note to the person behind me to say I couldn't move which thankfully she could see.

I know bus companies prioritise safety which is paramount but I do find it particularly annoying when younger people wait for the bus to stop, then collect their belongings, then go down the stairs and then alight. Whilst it's only sixty seconds which I'm not exactly going to lose sleep over, if that happens at every bus stop then buses lose time but also when people are boarding they then have to huddle in the corner by the front windscreen all because people have left it last minute. Honestly it is an absolute pet hate of mine and practice that I throughly discourage.

If I'm on the top deck and getting off, I now usually get out of my seat and walk to the stairwell whilst the bus hasn't arrived at the stop yet. But I wait at the top of the stairwell until the bus has completely stopped before going down the stairs. As a few times in recent months when walking down the stairwell I have come close to falling down the stairs and having an accident due to either the bus drivers suddenly braking fairly sharply or when I think the bus has completely stopped at the bus stop but the driver then pulls forward a bit!

lx12ddo

If I'm on the top deck and getting off, I now usually get out of my seat and walk to the stairwell whilst the bus hasn't arrived at the stop yet. But I wait at the top of the stairwell until the bus has completely stopped before going down the stairs. As a few times in recent months when walking down the stairwell I have come close to falling down the stairs and having an accident due to either the bus drivers suddenly braking fairly sharply or when I think the bus has completely stopped at the bus stop but the driver then pulls forward a bit!
I do the exact same, for the reasons you mentioned. But many friends of mine will wait till it has stopped completely before budging from their seat. Of course, they collect all their stuff so they're ready to go, unlike what was said in the OP (which isn't even that rare an occurrence sadly!). So long as you stomp your way downstairs, I've found the driver will more often than not wait.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I overheard a conversation between two First Bath drivers several weeks ago. One said that he dreaded alighting passengers getting up from their seats before the bus had stopped. That it was usually older folk who did this because in his opinion they had always acted in that way and genuinely believed that was what was expected. It’s also a very long time since I’ve experienced a First driver who pulls away before boarding passengers have sat down.

vicbury

I overheard a conversation between two First Bath drivers several weeks ago. One said that he dreaded alighting passengers getting up from their seats before the bus had stopped. That it was usually older folk who did this because in his opinion they had always acted in that way and genuinely believed that was what was expected. It’s also a very long time since I’ve experienced a First driver who pulls away before boarding passengers have sat down.

You're lucky to have that! On my local routes (7 / 42 / 43), you're lucky if the driver even waits for you to climb the stairs before pulling away, often rather sharply. I think it's company policy to at least wait for passengers to clear the stairs before moving but this rarely seems to happen.

BBC

You're lucky to have that! On my local routes (7 / 42 / 43), you're lucky if the driver even waits for you to climb the stairs before pulling away, often rather sharply. I think it's company policy to at least wait for passengers to clear the stairs before moving but this rarely seems to happen.
While you’re right that we should wait for people to be seated running times especially at night dont allow this. I’ve driven the 43 at night many times and you’ll pick up 70/80 at 1/2am with 20 mins running times to kingswood. We don’t have the time to wait sadly.

D2007wsm

Established Member
32222 made an appearance in Bristol Bus Station today. Not sure what it was doing as it came in ‘Not In Service’ and parked at the back. It also isn’t tracking.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
While you’re right that we should wait for people to be seated running times especially at night dont allow this. I’ve driven the 43 at night many times and you’ll pick up 70/80 at 1/2am with 20 mins running times to kingswood. We don’t have the time to wait sadly.

Agreed.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I do the exact same, for the reasons you mentioned. But many friends of mine will wait till it has stopped completely before budging from their seat. Of course, they collect all their stuff so they're ready to go, unlike what was said in the OP (which isn't even that rare an occurrence sadly!). So long as you stomp your way downstairs, I've found the driver will more often than not wait.

I must admit perhaps I sound a bit pedantic but I think its over exaggerated here. I've never seen it in any other city other than Bristol either.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Also, I report with further controversy. Large gaps now exist between Parkway and UWE in the afternoon. An 18 has just departed, then a 625 at 12.49, then nothing until 13.31. It's exceptionally poor. I'll walk it this afternoon, as it's not particularly far, but on days where people have lots of books/baggage it's truly a disappointment.

There used to be a time when I was studying my undergrad where it was essentially a turn up and go frequency. We used to have the 18, 19, 81/83, 502 (Wessex), 625 (Wessex but now Stagecoach), but now it's the 18 (only hourly), 77 (also hourly) and the 625 (also hourly). Of which all three are due within 20 minutes of each other. Nowadays I have to plan ahead if I need to get the bus for whatever reason.

I'd quite like to see a half-hourly shuttle service, perhaps an 18A or 18B, between UWE and Parkway. Only a PVR of 1, even if it's a Streetlite or whatever. Just to fill the gaps.

carlberry

Established Member
Also, I report with further controversy. Large gaps now exist between Parkway and UWE in the afternoon. An 18 has just departed, then a 625 at 12.49, then nothing until 13.31. It's exceptionally poor. I'll walk it this afternoon, as it's not particularly far, but on days where people have lots of books/baggage it's truly a disappointment.

There used to be a time when I was studying my undergrad where it was essentially a turn up and go frequency. We used to have the 18, 19, 81/83, 502 (Wessex), 625 (Wessex but now Stagecoach), but now it's the 18 (only hourly), 77 (also hourly) and the 625 (also hourly). Of which all three are due within 20 minutes of each other. Nowadays I have to plan ahead if I need to get the bus for whatever reason.

I'd quite like to see a half-hourly shuttle service, perhaps an 18A or 18B, between UWE and Parkway. Only a PVR of 1, even if it's a Streetlite or whatever. Just to fill the gaps.
As only one of the existing services are commercial it suggests that there isn't a great demand and the best thing would be to try to get one of the tendered services rescheduled into the gaps (however they're likely to have their own issues). Something that UWE could try to organise possibly.

BBC

I must admit perhaps I sound a bit pedantic but I think its over exaggerated here. I've never seen it in any other city other than Bristol either.
The young people are the worst. They’ll sprint up the stairs in 3 seconds then take about a minuet to get off.

Private Baxter

Established Member

It has definitely seen a reduction, which is a shame, though shuttles are not the answer. Perhaps an hourly extension of the 48A to Bristol Parkway (or even Cribbs) might redress the balance. If nothing else the people of Fishponds could certainly do with better links to rail stations!

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The young people are the worst. They’ll sprint up the stairs in 3 seconds then take about a minuet to get off.

Indeed. It's not even down to safety; it's purely down to sheer laziness.

I also dislike the fact that many young passengers sit downstairs on buses even for long distances. Meaning that other people need to go upstairs to go a couple of stops or just stand in the middle of the aisle. I hate sitting downstairs on a bus; it makes me feel very claustrophobic.

It has definitely seen a reduction, which is a shame, though shuttles are not the answer. Perhaps an hourly extension of the 48A to Bristol Parkway (or even Cribbs) might redress the balance. If nothing else the people of Fishponds could certainly do with better links to rail stations!

I think that's a really good idea. It doesn't even need to be every single 48A. Have a similar timetable to the 38 in London, with every other bus continuing on from Hackney Central to Clapton Pond.

lx12ddo

Not a FWOE related one, but this is the only thread I know (apologies), is bustimes' tracking site down completely?