• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flixbus Discussion

Possibly Tullos but not been told yet. Was due to start on Monday there but no plans had been given so was cancelled. A health and safety audit was carried out and deemed it unsafe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spsf3232

If Citylink have to leave the station for layover then that will decimate the timetable. Turnaround times are already tight when southbound drivers need to take a 45 minute break. There needs to be an option to park in the bus station for these drivers coming from the south to take the EU required break of 30/45 mins

Stan Drews

Established Member
The increased frequency on the Citylink routes largely leave Aberdeen at 25 & 55 mins past the hour.
I believe FlixBus wished to use slots at either 10 or 40 mins past the hour, which doesn’t seem unreasonable.

If Citylink have to leave the station for layover then that will decimate the timetable. Turnaround times are already tight when southbound drivers need to take a 45 minute break. There needs to be an option to park in the bus station for these drivers coming from the south to take the EU required break of 30/45 mins
I think the M92 is timed like that. The M9 on the other hand is in at 20 past the hour and the bus usually operates the M9 an hour and a half later.

overthewater

Established Member
They could aways kick all those cars parked in the bus station? Actually are cars still parking in the bus station?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
A lot of the issues at present come down to buses being left in stances and no one being willing to move them.

It's pretty much the norm for buses to all be leaving from the wrong stances. For example last week an X63 left from stance 4 (meant to be stance 11) meanwhile an X7 was in stance 10 (should be in Stance 3) while a 201 was in stance 13 (should be stance 9). And this isn't a one off thing, it happens all the time.

Scheduling of services also doesn't help. As an example in stance 8 in the afternoon peak there's a 4, 14 and 218 all scheduled to depart at the exact same time! In fact most 14s are scheduled to depart at the same time as the 4/5/6.... There has been another stroke of genius this week in that the new Cruise Ship shuttle service CS1 departs from the JET727 stance, which means not only does it have to take the long way out via Guild Street but it also gets in the way of the 727. It's going to be interesting to see what happens if both the CS1 and PJ1 end up operating at the same time.
The bus station shouldn't be used to park buses for long periods of time between duties to the detriment of other operators. I don't recall there being problems at the old bus station when there were competing operators.
In the past controllers would have a list of buses which were due to be in the station over a certain length of time and therefor where possibly would switch them around so that buses were spending less time in the station, since they switched to the Optibus scheduling software this no longer happens which means buses are sitting in the station for excessive periods of time.
I think the M92 is timed like that. The M9 on the other hand is in at 20 past the hour and the bus usually operates the M9 an hour and a half later.
The M9 and M92 are timed to provide a 30 minute frequency between Aberdeen and Dundee, the additional weekend M9s depart at the same time as an M92 and likewise the additional M92s depart at the same time as an M9.
The increased frequency on the Citylink routes largely leave Aberdeen at 25 & 55 mins past the hour.
I believe FlixBus wished to use slots at either 10 or 40 mins past the hour, which doesn’t seem unreasonable.
The timings FlixBus opt for would have no impact on Citylink services. Citylink depart from the through stances 1/2. Whereas Flixbus were using Stance 6 which at present doesn't have any services using it on paper, however due to the above mentioned issues the reality is that more often than not there will be a bus dumped in stance 6. In fact when i caught the 16:45 Flixbus service from the bus station a few weeks ago it had to pick up from stance 7 as there was already a bus in stance 6.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Last time I was at Aberdeen Bus Station, the Citylink coaches just got dumped at the stance for ages. (It made alighting a tight as we had to manoveur past an Astromega).

I can see why Flixbus are upset if this is still the case.

Simon75

On Moderation
Is the bus station owned by the Council? Surely it's up to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Is the bus station owned by the Council ? Surely it up them
Stagecoach are the leaseholders of the station, they manage the entire operational side of the bus station itself including maintenance of the outdoor areas while Union Square (owned by Hammerson) are responsible for the indoor areas.

bristol1996

Stagecoach are the leaseholders of the station, they manage the entire operational side of the bus station itself including maintenance of the outdoor areas while Union Square (owned by Hammerson) are responsible for the indoor areas.
I said this when Flixbus became substantial in England that they'd clash with Megabus and National Express. They've not clashed with National yet, but give it time and it'll happen. I doubt Flixbus will even last in England anyway; they want massive amounts for companies to set up under the Flix brand.

Lancs

I said this when flix became substantial in England that they'd clash with megabus and national express they've not clashed with national yet but give it time and it'll happen. I doubt flix will even last in England anyway, they want massive amounts for companies to set up under the flix brand.
I said this when flix became substantial in England that they'd clash with megabus and national express they've not clashed with national yet but give it time and it'll happen. I doubt flix will even last in England anyway, they want massive amounts for companies to set up under the flix brand.

Given the Flix service is so much better, in my opinion, they should do fine. Megabus and National Express need to up their game to suit.

Lancs

Which flixbus service is so much better? Doesn't it depend on the route and operator?
Which flixbus service is so much better? Doesn't it depend on the route and operator?

Just the simple ability to book the seat next to you is a key winner for me. Then add that you can't get direct from Bristol to anywhere north without changing in Birmingham.... Maybe the specific operators may generate different conclusions, the seat booking is a corporate policy....

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Just the simple ability to book the seat next to you is a key winner for me.
Do you find that it is always honoured? Given it doesn't get marked as reserved do you sometimes get people asking to sit next to you?

Lancs

Do you find that it is always honoured? Given it doesn't get marked as reserved do you sometimes get people asking to sit next to you?

Yes, having a printed copy of your ticket works quite well. Everybody has basically paid online and been offered that option, so when you say "I've paid for this seat too", they generally understand. Given we're on a railway site - the fact they don't sell more tickets than seats is another big plus point.

johncrossley

Established Member
If that happens then surely they will have to sort out refunds through customer service? Therefore they presumably would put pressure on the operators to avoid this happening.

bristol1996

Given the Flix service is so much better, in my opinion, they should do fine. Megabus and National Express need to up their game to suit.
Ah see to me the flix brand seems cheap and tacky and the coaches are poorly turned out. If you look at megabus livery and there coaches they are pretty Tidy, NX seem a little rough recently judging by the ones I see floating about...

Lancs

Ah see to me the flix brand seems cheap and tacky and the coaches are poorly turned out. If you look at megabus livery and there coaches they are pretty Tidy, NX seem a little rough recently judging by the ones I see floating about...
Most of my journey on the train from Bristol north would be on a smelly Voyager. I can cope with a crap coach if I don't have to sit next somebody, and am guaranteed to sit down, for 25% of the price!!

If that happens then surely they will have to sort out refunds through customer service? Therefore they presumably would put pressure on the operators to avoid this happening.
They don't overbook, therefore the problem needs to be addressed directly and diplomatically. It is fair to say that the drivers can, and have, stated no reservations. However, passengers can just organise themselves...

johncrossley

Established Member
They don't overbook, therefore the problem needs to be addressed directly and diplomatically. It is fair to say that the drivers can, and have, stated no reservations. However, passengers can just organise themselves...
The operator may use a coach with enough seats for booked passengers but with smaller capacity than the booking system assumes. So there might not be enough empty seats to avoid sitting next to someone.

Lancs

The operator may use a coach with enough seats for booked passengers but with smaller capacity than the booking system assumes. So there might not be enough empty seats to avoid sitting next to someone.
A lot of "what-if"s there... I purely expressing my opinion from my actual experiences as a punter.....

markymark2000

On Moderation
I said this when Flixbus became substantial in England that they'd clash with Megabus and National Express. They've not clashed with National yet, but give it time and it'll happen.
I think the difference is that Stagecoach run bus stations on behalf of councils and they have a vested interest with the Citylink partnerships. It is however against the law for them to push out other companies as per "Local Bus Services Market Investigation (Access to Bus Stations) Order 2012". Which the government says
It requires incumbent local bus operators to provide rival operators with access, on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms, to their bus stations.
Link for quote: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/local-bus-services-market-investigation-order-2012

National Express has only a few coach stations and while they do let others into their coach stations, I don't think it's a good look if Flixbus were to go into a NatEx coach station given the amount of branding there. Most of the NatEx coach stations have good alternative stops though. Leeds excepted but it is my view that Leeds Coach Station should come under West Yorkshire Metro and be for all coach operators, not just NatEx and a few other services if they happen to go in (Stagecoach X10 and X62 served the coach station for some reason over the bus station). That's another topic though.

I doubt Flixbus will even last in England anyway; they want massive amounts for companies to set up under the Flix brand.
Flixbus, like all of the intercity coach firms, has standards. It will work for some, it won't work for others. I don't think Turners and Berry's would be expanding their network so much if it wasnt viable.

McGills are on a rapid expansion spree too with more cross border routes coming soon. I'll do a post shortly with the new changes but it's big expansions. Allegedly another new firm joining soon as well as a number of companies apparently interested and exploring options.

It will be interesting to see how many operators join and leave in 2023. 2022 was a rough year of highs and lows.

M803UYA

I doubt Flixbus will even last in England anyway; they want massive amounts for companies to set up under the Flix brand.
Interesting point of view. Flixbus is the dominant provider of coach services in mainland Europe though this operating model. They also own Greyhound in the US alongside their own branded operations.

I can see one of the three major coach services providers exiting the UK, but it won't be Flixbus. They seem quite happy to expand their operations and play the long game.

317 forever

Established Member
Interesting point of view. Flixbus is the dominant provider of coach services in mainland Europe though this operating model. They also own Greyhound in the US alongside their own branded operations.

I can see one of the three major coach services providers exiting the UK, but it won't be Flixbus. They seem quite happy to expand their operations and play the long game.
We could speculate whether National Express Group are renaming themselves to repurpose themselves as a multi-transport company excluding all-these long-distance inner city services. I doubt it, as their roots (as well as routes) are in this type of operation.

As a stock-listed company Stagecoach introduced Megabus as a commercial innovation. Maybe their new owners DES will see Stagecoach Bus more as a British utility and lose interest in Megabus? Admittedly, if they do, I think they would sell it to Comfort DelGro rather than close it or sell it to Flixbus.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Maybe their new owners DES will see Stagecoach Bus more as a British utility and lose interest in Megabus? Admittedly, if they do, I think they would sell it to Comfort DelGro rather than close it or sell it to Flixbus.
Stagecoach have already divested Megabus, and are now just a contractor to the continued operation, although as noted above, they retain a financial interest in the new owner.

route101

Established Member
I have used two operators in the UK who run for Flixbus. McGills and Turners. The standard of bus was higher on McGills

Just the simple ability to book the seat next to you is a key winner for me. Then add that you can't get direct from Bristol to anywhere north without changing in Birmingham.... Maybe the specific operators may generate different conclusions, the seat booking is a corporate policy....
That's why I have booked Flixbus in the past, you can book the seat next to you. On a turners service there wasn't any reservations but the Scottish services are more strictly enforced. I noticed on McGills coaches they have seat numbers on every second row. The Scottish overnight services can be pretty expensive last minute though, nearly £50.

Last edited:

Eyersey468

Established Member

I can also see one of the 3 exiting the UK, I doubt it will be NX as NX carries more passengers than Flixbus and have more services.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I can also see one of the 3 exiting the UK, I doubt it will be NX as NX carries more passengers than Flixbus and have more services.
I thought most people had already assumed that Megabus would finish at some point. There's no space for 3 express operators across England and Flixbus and National Express will be here for a long time.

richw

Veteran Member
I thought most people had already assumed that Megabus would finish at some point. There's no space for 3 express operators across England and Flixbus and National Express will be here for a long time.
Comfort Del Gro have not long acquired megabus from stagecoach, so can’t see them pulling the plug neither on their new investment