• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
And doing so because Wolves are still miffed that they're this season's biggest VAR losers and forced the vote would be even worse

Not just the biggest losers, but the biggest losers through VAR by a long distance since it was introduced. 17 points according to ESPN. The next biggest loser, Arsenal, has lost 7.

You can understand why Wolves fans feel a) aggrieved, b) singled out and c) sing that the FA is corrupt.

I related news, I gather that VAR has cost Arsenal the points that would have won them the title this year. That must hurt too.

Harvester

Established Member
Result from Friday evening - Southampton 3 West Brom 1. So the Championship play-off final will be between Southampton and Leeds.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Result from Friday evening - Southampton 3 West Brom 1. So the Championship play-off final will be between Southampton and Leeds.
Meaning the the Premier League will save around £100 million in parachute payments, to the benefit of its member clubs.

gg1

Established Member
Meaning the the Premier League will save around £100 million in parachute payments, to the benefit of its member clubs.
Weren't these no longer required parachute payments (for clubs immediately promoted back to the PL) shared between Championship clubs at one time, or have I imagined that?

spyinthesky

Weren't these no longer required parachute payments (for clubs immediately promoted back to the PL) shared between Championship clubs at one time, or have I imagined that?
I can’t find that anywhere, there is only the Solidarity payments to all other clubs in the EFL which is a percentage of the the 3rd year parachute payments. This percentage drops through the tiers.
It is all based on TV rights.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Bayer Leverkusen have gone the whole domestic league season without being defeated. The team once nicknamed "Neverkusen" are now "Never Losing".

Just the small matter of the DFB Pokal and Europa League finals to contend with now...

SteveM70

Established Member
Bayer Leverkusen have gone the whole domestic league season without being defeated. The team once nicknamed "Neverkusen" are now "Never Losing".

Just the small matter of the DFB Pokal and Europa League finals to contend with now...

And Union Berlin survived at the expense of Bochum, who drop into the relegation playoff. Union won 2-1 with a 90+2 winner, having missed two penalties. Edge of the seat stuff

gg1

Established Member
I can’t find that anywhere, there is only the Solidarity payments to all other clubs in the EFL which is a percentage of the the 3rd year parachute payments. This percentage drops through the tiers.
It is all based on TV rights.
No, I couldn't find anything about it either when I googled but I was sure I'd read something to that effect a while ago (probably at least 10 years ago). Maybe I dreamt it :s

Falcon1200

Established Member
Oxford United, having lost 0-5 to Bolton Wanderers two months ago, today beat the same opposition 2-0 in the League One Play-off final at Wembley to win promotion to the Championship; a superb, and I have to say, unexpected, achievement!

It is probably to much to hope that we will emulate the glory days of 1984-6 and win promotion to the top division next season (and the League Cup the season after that...)

Haywain

Veteran Member
Oxford United, having lost 0-5 to Bolton Wanderers two months ago, today beat the same opposition 2-0 in the League One Play-off final at Wembley to win promotion to the Championship; a superb, and I have to say, unexpected, achievement!

It is probably to much to hope that we will emulate the glory days of 1984-6 and win promotion to the top division next season (and the League Cup the season after that...)
Congratulations. It's a surprisingly big step up for most teams, so it could be a long season ahead.

JD2168

And Union Berlin survived at the expense of Bochum, who drop into the relegation playoff. Union won 2-1 with a 90+2 winner, having missed two penalties. Edge of the seat stuff

A shame for Koln & their excellent fans who have been relegated but they just couldn’t score enough all season.

Norwich reacted to their 4-0 defeat by Leeds by sacking David Wagner.

Juventus have sacked manager Max Allegri after various incidents at the end of the Coppa Italia final which they won 1-0.

Roberto De Zerbi will leave Brighton at the end of the season. He has been linked with the Bayern Munich job.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was talking with a friend at work earlier in the week, which year did the rules change so the FA cup runner up didn't get the spot in the Europa League if the winner had already qualified for Europe via their league position?

JamesT

Established Member
I was talking with a friend at work earlier in the week, which year did the rules change so the FA cup runner up didn't get the spot in the Europa League if the winner had already qualified for Europe via their league position?
In response to another request by the member associations, the UEFA Executive Committee agreed that the UEFA Club Competitions Committee should make the necessary regulatory changes to allow the best-placed non-qualified domestic championship club to enter the UEFA Europa League from the 2015/16 season, rather than the domestic cup runners-up, should the domestic cup winners also qualify for the UEFA Champions League via the final championship standings.
So the last time a runner-up could have qualified would have been the 2014 FA Cup final. Which was indeed the case, Hull City had a brief European adventure, winning their match in the third qualifying round but losing in the playoff round.

Last edited:

1D54

Is there an argument for taking the European qualification place off the League Cup winners and giving it to EPL placement instead? No one seems to take the competition seriously anymore.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Two questions regarding the final Premier League fixtures....
1)...Why played on Sunday instead of on Saturday?
2).. Why a kick-off time of 16:00 instead of 15:00?

1) TV
2) TV

Believe all the final day's matches have been played on a Sunday since at least 1992-93, although that particular season they were played with a 2.00 p.m. K.O. rather than 4.00 p.m.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Believe all the final day's matches have been played on a Sunday since at least 1992-93, although that particular season they were played with a 2.00 p.m. K.O. rather than 4.00 p.m.
Even then the reason for playing on Sunday was TV.

Thanks. It is indeed a big step up, we will be swimming with some big fish next season, but as with all football fans, there is always hope!
I have to say that given the choice of a trip to Oxford or Bolton, I prefer Oxford (as does the football agnostic Mrs H).

spyinthesky

Is there an argument for taking the European qualification place off the League Cup winners and giving it to EPL placement instead? No one seems to take the competition seriously anymore.
It has never been any different. It has been rare not to see one of the big guns as winners anyway.
Handing over that place doesn’t really make much difference excepting when a minnow would win it such as Rochdale who were beaten finalists.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It has never been any different. It has been rare not to see one of the big guns as winners anyway.
Handing over that place doesn’t really make much difference excepting when a minnow would win it such as Rochdale who were beaten finalists.
And in those days different rules applied - I have a vague recollection that clubs outside the top flight were not considered (or put forward) for European competition entry, Swindon Town being an example.

spyinthesky

And in those days different rules applied - I have a vague recollection that clubs outside the top flight were not considered (or put forward) for European competition entry, Swindon Town being an example.
That’s true although they won the Anglo Italian Cup beating Roma 5-2

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Only First Division clubs were eligible to participate in the (Inter City) Fairs Cup at the time (1969). Believe also in the early years of the competition, that entry was on a "one city, one team" basis, and so, in the late 1950s there was actually a London Select XI, comprising players chosen from numerous various London clubs.

Haywain

Veteran Member
That’s true although they won the Anglo Italian Cup beating Roma 5-2
They did. Luton have played in it a number of times but we still haven’t played in European competition, having been denied the opportunity for different reasons to Swindon after winning the same competition.

gg1

Established Member
Only First Division clubs were eligible to participate in the (Inter City) Fairs Cup at the time (1969). Believe also in the early years of the competition, that entry was on a "one city, one team" basis, and so, in the late 1950s there was actually a London Select XI, comprising players chosen from numerous various London clubs.
For reasons best known to themselves the English FA decided to continue to impose the one team per city rule in the early years of the UEFA cup (where there was no such stipulation by UEFA) after it had replaced the Fairs Cup, with priority given to the League Cup winners. This led to the bonkers situation in 1972-73 where Arsenal finished 2nd in the league but didn't qualify for the UEFA cup whilst Leeds (3rd), Ipswich (4th) Wolves (5th) and Spurs (8th and League Cup winners) all qualified.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
For reasons best known to themselves the English FA decided to continue to impose the one team per city rule in the early years of the UEFA cup..
Certainly a questionable decision but wasn't it actually The Football League, in particular the autocratic League
Secretary Alan Hardaker, who was to blame here?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Not often that Everton, a side near the bottom of the Premier League has only conceded a low number of goals (51 from 38 matches), with only the top three sides conceding less at the end of a seasons fixtures:-
Aresnal......................29
Manchester City..........34
Liverpool...................41