• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

SJL2020

With inflation the way it has been it's little different to what was paid for Grealish by Manchester City.
Grealish would likely cost rather more in the current market.

The more appropriate comparisons are the fees paid by Chelsea for Enzo Fernandez and Arsenal for Rice.

I find it interesting that the three most expensive players in PL history (in GBP terms) are defensive midfielders.

I wonder what Rodri would cost in today's market...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Grealish would likely cost rather more in the current market.

The more appropriate comparisons are the fees paid by Chelsea for Enzo Fernandez and Arsenal for Rice.

I find it interesting that the three most expensive players in PL history (in GBP terms) are defensive midfielders.

There are now different transfer scales, so it seems, dependant upon what part of the world is making bids.

SJL2020

There are now different transfer scales, so it seems, dependant upon what part of the world is making bids.
I mentioned GBP because the transfer market sites usually specify transfers in EUR.

This is why Maguire and Gvardiol can both be described as the 'most expensive defender ever signed by a PL team'. Maguire is the most expensive in GBP terms, Gvardiol in EUR terms. City paid in EUR while United paid in GBP, but different GBP/EUR exchanges applied at the times each signing was made.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

I think partly because DMs have great longevity because their utility isn't defined by explosive speed but rather by footballing intellect and game-reading. You can still be a superb DM at 35; all forwards by that age have had to "modify their game" to cope with a loss of speed and athleticism.

Butts

Veteran Member
Hard to believe the first Million Pound Player Trevor Francis only died recently.

Kenny Dalglish £440,000 from Celtic to Liverpool :?:

It's all gone insane in the transfer market.

SJL2020

It's all gone insane in the transfer market.
'Insane' implies that the PL clubs are spending irrationally.

I would say that the spending trend simply reflects the huge revenue streams that the PL now generates (i.e. double the amount of money of any other European league).

Most football finance experts expect the trend to continue for a while yet, driven mainly by strong growth in overseas broadcasting income.

I'm going to post my pre season predictions so you can all completely destroy them.

1st Manchester City
2nd Arsenal
3rd Liverpool
4th Manchester United
5th Aston Villa
6th Newcastle United
7th Brighton and Hove Albiom
8th Chelsea
9th Tottenham Hotspur
10th Brentford
11th AFC Bournemouth
12th Crystal Palace
13th Nottingham Forest
14th Burnley
15th Fulham
16th West Ham United
17th Everton
18th Luton Town
19th Wolverhampton Wanderers
20th Sheffield United

From a Spurs fan

Butts

Veteran Member

I would say that the spending trend simply reflects the huge revenue streams that the PL now generates (i.e. double the amount of money of any other European league).

Most football finance experts expect the trend to continue for a while yet, driven mainly by strong growth in overseas broadcasting income.

If there's that much money why don't they give something back to the fans ?

Lower ticket prices / cheaper shirts ?

Luton as high as that, i think you're being a bit optimistic.
I just think wolves and Sheffield United are both in a worse way than Luton at the moment. Luton might get 1-0 wins over bottom half clubs. Bournemouth is what I thought would be targeted.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

I remember a similar question being raised on a different website to this, when vast sums of money were seen to be pouring into the clubs at the top of the pyramid and noting the actual financial input, someone asking exactly what percentage of that figure was formed of gate receipt monies/season ticket sales from the club supporters. No-one ever ventured to make a posting of estimation.

Incidentally, knowing you are from north of the border, I did feel sad when The Blue Brazil shored the same fate as Oldham Athletic in losing their place in the respective country top level. Have you any thoughts as to how Banks O'Dee will fare this season in the Highland Legue after their preliminary season.

SteveM70

Established Member

When the last Sky deal was done, some football economics bloke was quoted saying that every team could give away every ticket for every match for free, and still be better off

As it is, all that’s happened is that ever increasing amounts of money have flowed through clubs to players and agents

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
2-0 now with a brilliant finish for haaland's brace. Burnley don't look bad though.
Rodri now makes it 3-0 and City make a good start in the league.

**********************************************************************************

Saudi Professional League

In the Friday night opening fixture of this 18-club league, Roberto Firmino scored a hat-trick for Al-Ahli in their 3-1 win over Al-Hazm.

Last edited:

SJL2020

I remember a similar question being raised on a different website to this, when vast sums of money were seen to be pouring into the clubs at the top of the pyramid and noting the actual financial input, someone asking exactly what percentage of that figure was formed of gate receipt monies/season ticket sales from the club supporters. No-one ever ventured to make a posting of estimation.
There are breakdowns of match-day, commercial and broadcasting revenue and other income (e.g. player sales) in clubs' annual accounts.

There's a guy with a handle Swiss Ramble on twitter who does regular useful and interesting comparisons and trend analyses for the larger clubs and the PL as a whole.

An example of the type of analysis he does is here..

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Did any of you watch the penalty shoot-out in the France v Australia match. I cannot remember before when a player misses a penalty, is given a second chance, then proceeds to miss the second chance penalty.
I've a vague memory of such a thing happening to Huddersfield Town sometime during my 34 year sentence of watching them. Can't recall exactly when or where it was, nor who was involved though. This would have been a regularly awarded kick rather than one in a shoot-out.

75A

Established Member
Interesting to see that Sky have again picked two games from the 'northern' section of the Carabao Cup, this week we had two terrible games - Wrexham & Wigan was a bore draw and Leicester will have had harder training sessions than their win @ Burton.
Let's hope that Doncaster V Everton & Salford V Leeds are better.

Corrected after a dodgy bit of English.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Interesting to see that Sky have again picked two games from the 'northern' section of the Carabao Cup, this week we had two terrible games - Wrexham & Wigan was a bore draw and Leicester will have had harder training sessions than their win @ Burton.
Let's hope that Doncaster V Everton & Salford & Leeds are better.
Bit harsh that Donny have been drawn to face three teams at once! ;)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Let's hope that Doncaster V Everton & Salford & Leeds are better.

Bit harsh that Donny have been drawn to face three teams at once!

Sounds like the type of "either/or" cup draw that often used to be the case when matches were postponed due to bad weather. At least Doncaster will be at home again if they manage to win in their first game.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Well, in the next hour, Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu of Luton Town will become the the first player to have played in the top five divisions of English football for the same club.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

Rather surprisingly as the PL is the richest top flight division across the globe, England have only ever won one piece of silverware that has a lot of dust on it.

Perhaps there should be a media blackout whenever the mens side plays, so as for the players not to be exposed to the hype?

SteveM70

Established Member
Rather surprisingly as the PL is the richest top flight division across the globe, England have only ever won one piece of silverware that has a lot of dust on it.

Perhaps there should be a media blackout whenever the mens side plays, so as for the players not to be exposed to the hype?

Hardly surprising at all. Money just attracts players from all over the world, like moths to a light.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Oldham Athletic have had mixed fortunes in this new National League season, losing 4-0 away at Southend last Saturday, yet beating Aldershot 5-1 at home today.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Northern Premier League...Premier Division

Hyde United 1 ... Guisley 1

Good attendance of 741 for the first match of the season and Guisley took the lead in the 39th minute. Hyde equalised in the 61st minute. Hyde still showing signs of the lack of full commitment that was evident in the last few home games of last season when they slumped from second place to sixth and did therefore not feature in the play-offs.

Last edited:

Purple Train

Established Member
Did any of you watch the penalty shoot-out in the France v Australia match. I cannot remember before when a player misses a penalty, is given a second chance, then proceeds to miss the second chance penalty.
It happened in the Rangers vs Sporting Lisbon second-round game in 1971 in the European Cup-Winners' Cup, which is an excellent story all round.

It was a two-legged tie, and Rangers won 3-2 at Ibrox, leading 3-0 after 30 minutes thanks to Stein (2) and Henderson, before Chico Faria and Wagner pulled two goals back for Sporting. In Lisbon, the teams traded goals (Yazalde and Laranjeira for Sporting; Stein on both occasions for Rangers) for 2-2, before Sporting scored again (Pedro Gomes) to make it 3-2 and force extra-time. In extra-time, both sides scored once (Peres for Sporting; Henderson for Rangers) to make it 4-3.

The referee, Dutchman Laurens van Ravens, ordered a penalty shoot-out. Rangers missed all five regular kicks, one of which (courtesy of McLean) was retaken due to an infringement by the Sporting goalkeeper, though, on both occasions, the kick was missed. Sporting won the shoot-out 3-0.

However, the referee had forgotten that away goals counted double in the event of a tie, so actually Rangers went through, having missed all six penalties. They won the competition, beating Dynamo Moscow in the final.