• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Driver Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekDingle

Hi,

Is there a recruitment freeze on at freightliner? They used to be constantly advertising for qualified drivers, but now there is zero.

Have they had a downturn in work and recruitment?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
They implemented a freeze earlier this summer. Intermodal traffic had dipped massively and they froze it on both sides of the business.

They advertised recently for Earles, so it may be slowly starting to thaw

Established Member
Have they had a downturn in work and recruitment?

This does seem to be a bit of a theme at the moment. Recently a colleague was about to start a trainee driver role with DB, and was informed shortly before starting that the role was no longer available (thankfully the TOC have allowed him to rescind his notice and continue in his current role).

Surprising as I had understood freight had rebounded strongly post Covid.

Kbendle

I’d be interested in seeing if the recruitment freeze is easing off. I was due to start as a trainee driver in July but my course got pulled so currently eagerly sat in the talent pool waiting for the training to restart

Established Member
I’d be interested in seeing if the recruitment freeze is easing off. I was due to start as a trainee driver in July but my course got pulled so currently eagerly sat in the talent pool waiting for the training to restart

It has sadly been announced that DB are going to be making redundancies, in addition to cancelling trainee courses as I mentioned above, albeit I have no idea whether the issues affecting them have hit FL in the same way. It clearly doesn’t bode well for the sector as a whole.

baz962

Established Member
It has sadly been announced that DB are going to be making redundancies, in addition to cancelling trainee courses as I mentioned above, albeit I have no idea whether the issues affecting them have hit FL in the same way. It clearly doesn’t bode well for the sector as a whole.
And to add that possibly Freightliner would look to recruit some of the redundant DB drivers, before starting trainee courses.

Juliet Barvo

"doesn't bode well for the sector as a whole"

DB lose contracts because they are chronically unreliable, even their own staff dislike them.

The contracts either go to FL or the aggressively expanding GB, or the newbie DC.

The freight sector as a whole is fine, it's just contracts moving from firm to firm.

DB drivers will quickly be taken up by Passenger/Desperate for drivers GB/DC/FL.

Drivers with a good record will find jobs

stXeve

DB lose contracts because they are chronically unreliable, even their own staff dislike them.

The contracts either go to FL or the aggressively expanding GB, or the newbie DC.

The freight sector as a whole is fine, it's just contracts moving from firm to firm.

DB drivers will quickly be taken up by Passenger/Desperate for drivers GB/DC/FL.

This is spot on. Plenty of qualified freight driver vacancies around.

Traindriver40

I suspect a large amount of the DB drivers taking VR will retire, christmas coming early for the ones nearing retirement of which freight has many.

Frieghtliner from what i see are much the same as DB struggling at the moment with costs higher, the business in Ukraine, fuel prices up, hs2 being cancelled the list goes on, Also the "smaller companies being very aggressive in bidding for contracts"

Chingy

Frieghtliner from what i see are much the same as DB struggling at the moment with costs higher, the business in Ukraine, fuel prices up, hs2 being cancelled the list goes on, Also the "smaller companies being very aggressive in bidding for contracts"

FL are in a much better position than DB. Not saying they’re immune or anything, the Intermodal side of the business is certainly struggling and this doesn’t look like improving anytime soon. However, there is absolutely no talk of redundancies yet.

On the flip side, the HH side of the business is going from strength to strength. Workload is consistent & full, with the forecast looking increasingly positive with no end in sight of work coming FLHH way. There are “mumourings” of persuading some IM drivers to move over to HH, where the work is currently.

Juliet Barvo

FL are in a much better position than DB. Not saying they’re immune or anything, the Intermodal side of the business is certainly struggling and this doesn’t look like improving anytime soon. However, there is absolutely no talk of redundancies yet.

On the flip side, the HH side of the business is going from strength to strength. Workload is consistent & full, with the forecast looking increasingly positive with no end in sight of work coming FLHH way. There are “mumourings” of persuading some IM drivers to move over to HH, where the work is currently.

I can't imagine IM drivers going over to HH as that would involve them doing their own runarounds, buffering up without a shunter, coupling up THEMSELVES, and getting their hands dirty. God forbid if they got some dirt on their orange vest. Oh dear, it just can't happen.

Established Member

I’m not sure this can be explained just by contracts moving. DB Cargo in the letter they sent to employees have cited various factors including a softening of the market, and apparently are running 25% fewer trains.

Then as noted by the OP FL have had a recruitment freeze (and appear to still have), so it clearly isn’t just down to one company losing contracts.

That’s easy to say off the cuff, but not all drivers have good records and/or might not be able easily to relocate. It isn’t as simple as just walking into a job.

Last edited:

Lenny_1986

I’ve been with DB for over 4 years, clean record and been turned down by 2 separate companies in the last 6 months, on initial application, no tests or interviews. Now that’s a reality check and worrying!

Carl98k

I’ve been with DB for over 4 years, clean record and been turned down by 2 separate companies in the last 6 months, on initial application, no tests or interviews. Now that’s a reality check and worrying!
Unfortunately a train driving licence doesn’t guarantee you a job anywhere.

12LDA28C

Established Member
And to add that possibly Freightliner would look to recruit some of the redundant DB drivers, before starting trainee courses.

The OP specifically stated that Freightliner are no longer taking on qualified drivers, no mention was made of trainees/apprentices. However, someone I know was taken on as a qualified driver by FL in the summer so there seems to still be jobs on offer.

Traindriver40

Freightliner seem to be taking a careful approach hopefully it doesn't follow the db route, but a freeze on recruitment and cancelling trainee courses suggests it is trying to manage the situation. who employs the most drivers does anyone know is it DB or Freightliner?

Chingy

Worth noting that the recruitment freeze at FL is only affecting trainee courses. They’ve been taking on some Qualified drivers, at least for HH, still throughout this year.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Worth noting that the recruitment freeze at FL is only affecting trainee courses. They’ve been taking on some Qualified drivers, at least for HH, still throughout this year.
I was told by a FL DSM that it was a company wide affecting all driving grades thing back in the summer. They pulled the job i was in for

Chingy

I was told by a FL DSM that it was a company wide affecting all driving grades thing back in the summer. They pulled the job i was in for

I know of 3 qualified drivers who’ve started/come back to FL at South West depots this year.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I know of 3 qualified drivers who’ve started/come back to FL at South West depots this year.
Mendip? Seems to be the exception to the rule.

It was Bristol/Cardiff I was in for. And then the rest of the country pulled the jobs too.

Chingy

Mendip? Seems to be the exception to the rule.

It was Bristol/Cardiff I was in for. And then the rest of the country pulled the jobs too.

1 for Bristol. Came over from Colas.
2 for Mendip. One from SWT & one from GWR.

Kbendle

Mendip is where I was due to start, I’ve heard whispers of a factory being built next to Merehead that will be producing concrete rail sleepers that are meant to be getting dispatched by FL so I’m hoping this creates more opportunities but we shall see.

train_lover

This is a tale of two stories. DB have been struggling for many years now. With the main outfit in Germany wanting to sell off most of DB outside of Germany. The problem DB in the UK is the pension black hole and more importantly aslef. Aslef have made it impossible for DB to be competitive and are really the final nail in DBs coffin. I number of DB drivers I've spoken to have been extremely critical of Aslef.

As for the sector as a whole its a mixed bag at the moment. Intermodal is steady but is definitely down, this is a reflection of the economy and should bounce back in time especially with a couple of key terminals opening. Hs2 is a huge blow, for a whole host of different reasons. But more worryingly a well know steel maker is about to cease its rail operations which is going to be devastating to a number of companies and depots.

12LDA28C

Established Member
This is a tale of two stories. DB have been struggling for many years now. With the main outfit in Germany wanting to sell off most of DB outside of Germany. The problem DB in the UK is the pension black hole and more importantly aslef. Aslef have made it impossible for DB to be competitive and are really the final nail in DBs coffin. I number of DB drivers I've spoken to have been extremely critical of Aslef.

Not sure this is entirely accurate. It's my understanding that some of DB's competitors, particularly DCR and GBRf have undercut DB's (commercially reasonable) quotes for some traffic flows to such an extent that they have won the contract off DB but are running the flows at zero profit or even a loss. There's no way DB can possibly compete with that and nor should they.

Carl98k

Not sure this is entirely accurate. It's my understanding that some of DB's competitors, particularly DCR and GBRf have undercut DB's (commercially reasonable) quotes for some traffic flows to such an extent that they have won the contract off DB but are running the flows at zero profit or even a loss. There's no way DB can possibly compete with that and nor should they.
That’s not true, GB have won contracts from DB and others, but under cutting to a loss is a strong statement. Take Peterborough to Felixstowe for example. A DB driver told me they only do one way due to the hours. So that’s 2 drivers to cover a return trip, GB do that in just under 12 hours. If this is true, then this could explain what’s happening.

Train_manager

That’s not true, GB have won contracts from DB and others, but under cutting to a loss is a strong statement. Take Peterborough to Felixstowe for example. A DB driver told me they only do one way due to the hours. So that’s 2 drivers to cover a return trip, GB do that in just under 12 hours. If this is true, then this could explain what’s happening.
It's called "race to the bottom"

Look at the trucking industry.

DB has said **** it we not doing non profitable work. Simple

And to blame ASLEF? I'm lost for words!!!!!!!!!!

As for the sector as a whole its a mixed bag at the moment. Intermodal is steady but is definitely down, this is a reflection of the economy and should bounce back in time especially with a couple of key terminals opening. Hs2 is a huge blow, for a whole host of different reasons. But more worryingly a well know steel maker is about to cease its rail operations which is going to be devastating to a number of companies and depots.
Your sound like an Eastleigh driver !!!

Carl98k

It's called "race to the bottom"

Look at the trucking industry.

DB has said **** it we not doing non profitable work. Simple

And to blame ASLEF? I'm lost for words!!!!!!!!!!

Your sound like an Eastleigh driver !!!
Race to the bottom due to drivers doing 12 hour shifts? I also didn’t mention ASLEF. I came from the fuel industry, and as I was the vice chair on the NNC I know exactly how it works. There is a fine line between having good terms and conditions, and pricing yourself out of a job.

Train_manager

Race to the bottom due to drivers doing 12 hour shifts? I also didn’t mention ASLEF. I came from the fuel industry, and as I was the vice chair on the NNC I know exactly how it works. There is a fine line between having good terms and conditions, and pricing yourself out of a job.
Sorry the auto merge didn't work right.

Aslef comment was aimed at the other post.

Truck fuel industry is a perfect example of race to the bottom.

A green haulage company undercutting other companies and paying there drivers £12 a hour to do fuel tanker work.

On the rail safe first, profit 2nd. Well that's how it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.