• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

French steam operation in 1966

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
Found on line, an extended, 18-page article from the USA "Trains" magazine of 1966, a notable description of the last years of steam there, and an interesting comparison to Dick Hardy's various books written about similar footplate runs in France in the same era. In usual USA fashion the history timeline of a European country is somewhat similar to our teachings, but in a number of places at least different, if not the opposite!

Notable is the detailed description of the various features of French steam locos that make them stand out from those elsewhere. Plenty of comparisons with USA practice, of course, but a few even with British steam (generally unfavourably). It's here:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Excellent! Thank you for posting this. A really long piece for an overseas audience. I've only read the beginning but will keep it for when I have more time.

Taunton

Established Member
Excellent! Thank you for posting this. A really long piece for an overseas audience. I've only read the beginning but will keep it for when I have more time.
When you get to the end, the last trip on unique 232U1 is driven by mecanicien Duteil from Gare du Nord. I seem to recall he was also mentioned multiple times by Dick Hardy in his books, which I don't have currently to hand, but someone will.

Status
Not open for further replies.