• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Bridge Project

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Train Maniac

A quick visit today shows work going on preparing the abutments.
View attachment 121714View attachment 121715
Hi Phil
Looks like your making great progress! :)
I know that its still a few years at least before this is all completed, but do you know what is going to happen to Great Central (Nottingham)? Apart from the main line connection there doesnt seem to be all that much at the top of the line. Is there a Leicester North style station planned at Ruddington?

Best, Simon

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi Phil
Looks like your making great progress! :)
I know that its still a few years at least before this is all completed, but do you know what is going to happen to Great Central (Nottingham)? Apart from the main line connection there doesnt seem to be all that much at the top of the line. Is there a Leicester North style station planned at Ruddington?

Best, Simon

There’s a bit of information in this thread Simon:

zin92

Hi,

I understand that the new bridge will be double-track: one track joining the chord from the Midland Main Line and one track leading to Loughborough GC station with the two tracks joining north of the new bridge. However why couldn't the new bridge have been single-track with the two tracks joining south of the new bridge please? This would presumably have been cheaper.

Thanks

mr_jrt

Established Member
I would imagine because they one day want to have the option of the northern section being double tracked as with the southern section, aside from the MML bridge?

AndyY1951

If you look at the geometry of the chord to the main line you will realise that to achieve this the junction would essentially be on the bridge, there just isn't room. And I can imagine that operationally there needs to be room for a full-length train to get off the chord and wait on NR metals before moving onto GCR metals.

zin92

If you look at the geometry of the chord to the main line you will realise that to achieve this the junction would essentially be on the bridge, there just isn't room. And I can imagine that operationally there needs to be room for a full-length train to get off the chord and wait on NR metals before moving onto GCR metals.
Thanks. Good point re room for a full-length train coming off MR metals. I'm only a layman and it sounds like you know more than me but as per the below satellite view, it seems to me that there is room for a junction before the bridge - especially given that a single-track bridge could be bang in the middle of the existing double-track bridge, or to the west or to the east as required.

Regards

1665140749487.png

zwk500

Veteran Member
Thanks. Good point re room for a full-length train coming off MR metals. I'm only a layman and it sounds like you know more than me but as per the below satellite view, it seems to me that there is room for a junction before the bridge - especially given that a single-track bridge could be bang in the middle of the existing double-track bridge, or to the west or to the east as required.
There isn't room because of the geometry of the curve. The points can't start until clear of the bridge, and then you've got the transition curve out of the 'main' line and then it increases until it hits the curve radius of the chord. You've also got to have room to signal the junction appropriately (not sure what the proposal is). Also the chord can't start dropping down a gradient until it's clear of the pointwork, and given the short distances involved to meet the MML bridge this could be a rather serious limitation.

A single track bridge would also be restrictive if any future changes were intended, and there may be design elements of the abutments that make a full-width deck a better option for distributing the weight (I don't know the bridge so this last point may not be a problem at all).

Flying Phil

Established Member
Also the satellite view does not show the gradient of the chord line. It is quite a climb up from the Midland Main line and the heavy gypsum trains do not want to be stopped and restarted on the curve and gradient - hence the need for a clear train length past the bridge before going to single track.

Flying Phil

Established Member
This weekend should see more work on the A60 Bridge as they are due to put the large concrete "caps" on top of the brick abutments I believe.

This may now have been changed to all happen next weekend...??

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
There is now a "You Tube" video showing the lifting of the two precast caps onto the abutment tops. Sorry, but I cannot get a link posted.

Up Main

GCRN A60 railway bridge pre cast concrete abutment caps in place Sunday 6th November. IMG_20221106_153704.jpgIMG_20221106_153901.jpgIMG_20221106_153752.jpgIMG_20221106_153807.jpg

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
Thanks for those pics Up Main.
According to the latest GCR video, the two decks will be put into place in two weeks time so 19/20th Nov.

Last edited:

Phil G

What keeps the caps in place, is it just weight? Do they put something between the brick and the concrete to even out any imperfections?

Up Main

The brick abutments have a screed laid on the top with each 44 ton precast cap craned onto them.

The bridge collision protection beams will be bolted to them across the road, with the bridge decks laid within them.

Flying Phil

Established Member
This weekend should see the new bridge decks being put on the abutments. It is also the "Last Hurrah Gala" on the GCR with an intensive timetable - including that "lengthy train" of Windcutter 16T minerals operating mid day on Sat and Sunday. In a few years time it will be fantastic to see them going North over the new bridges!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This weekend should see the new bridge decks being put on the abutments. It is also the "Last Hurrah Gala" on the GCR with an intensive timetable - including that "lengthy train" of Windcutter 16T minerals operating mid day on Sat and Sunday. In a few years time it will be fantastic to see them going North over the new bridges!

Great to hear all the positive news coming out of the railway Phil.

fgwrich

Established Member
That's great to hear Phil, thanks for the update. Good luck with the Wincutter Rake this weekend.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Work is progressing well with a large crane in place by the A 60 bridge. There is a lorry on site with one of the bridge decks ready for installation.
DSC02141.JPG

At the A 60 bridge tonight (Sunday) I was told that the two decks and two anti-collision beams were now in place. The big crane is being dismantled. There is some grouting to be done and other finishing work over the next couple of days, then it is ready for ballast and track!
DSC02156.JPG
I'm sorry for the poor picture - I'm sure someone will post a better one tomorrow taken in daylight....

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The above post has merged automatically so I’m just acknowledging that they’re separate posts Phil. Thanks for the update. :)

fgwrich

Established Member
Work is progressing well with a large crane in place by the A 60 bridge. There is a lorry on site with one of the bridge decks ready for installation.
View attachment 124014

At the A 60 bridge tonight (Sunday) I was told that the two decks and two anti-collision beams were now in place. The big crane is being dismantled. There is some grouting to be done and other finishing work over the next couple of days, then it is ready for ballast and track!
View attachment 124049
I'm sorry for the poor picture - I'm sure someone will post a better one tomorrow taken in daylight....
Excellent news, thanks for the update Phil!

I wonder how long it'll take before some nugget prangs it. Then comes out with that old hot chestnut......"But me satnav sez......!"

Rob F

According to the height restriction sign there is 10cm more clearance than the old bridge.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The old clearance was 4.3m (shown in an earlier picture - post #975) so I assume the new signs will show 4.4m.....but I have not visited yet.